Chi Rho Connection, Vol. III, No. 11

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2002

      The Chi Rho Press eNewsletter
      Vol. III, No. 11

      1. Adam's Birthday Celebration!
      2. E-mail Bag
      3. FYI: Privacy Policy
      4. Featured Book: Come Home!
      5. Two Brothers A Parable

      'But the wisdom which is from heaven is first holy,
      then gentle, readily giving way in argument, full of
      peace and mercy and good works, not doubting, not
      seeming other than it is.'
      James 3:17

      electronic newsletter of Chi Rho Press. Thank you for
      passing this Chi Rho Connection on to others.

      To unsubscribe send an e-mail to

      tchochkas, and stained glass.

      Direct all other e-mail to Adam@.... See
      the end of this eNewsletter for a complete list of
      e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. Adam's Birthday Celebration!

      Chi Rho Press founder and director, Adam DeBaugh turned
      55 on June 23.

      If you would like to help celebrate or to honor Adam on
      his birthday, the board and staff of Chi Rho Press
      invite you to make a contribution to this ministry in
      Adam's honor.

      All contributions are fully tax deductible. May we
      suggest a $55.00 contribution in honor of Adam's 55
      years?

      Just send your check or money order, made out to Chi
      Rho Press with the notation, 'Adam's Birthday' in the
      memo line, to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg,
      MD 20898.

      Or make your birthday gift on line at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html.

      All contributions in honor of Adam's birthday will be
      used for the ministry of Chi Rho Press.

      2. E-mail Bag

      Occasionally we get e-mail or letters that are especially
      gratifying. This one is from a faithful subscriber named
      Richard and arrived today in response to this week's Chi
      Rho Reflection.

      Adam and Chi Rho Press Friends,

      This week's meditation and prayer spoke directly to my
      own personal condition and was such a blessing to me.
      God uses you in wonderful and healing ways. Blessings
      on your continuing ministry to us and, by extension, to
      the whole people of God. Richard

      Many thanks, Richard. It is affirmations like this that
      keep us involved in this ministry. We are especially
      pleased that this week's Reflection spoke so directly
      to your heart.

      The Chi Rho Reflections are sent to our subscribers at
      the beginning of each week and includes a selection from
      that week's meditations from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book
      of daily Gospel readings and devotions written by and the
      LGBT community of faith.

      'The Road to Emmaus' is available on our web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html and
      are available at a reduced price of $9.95 each ($7.50 each
      for six or more copies), plus shipping and handling.

      3. FYI: Privacy Policy

      We occasionally run a column called FYI, which discusses
      aspects of publishing and the business of Chi Rho Press.
      This month's FYI column is about our Privacy Policy on
      our Web page.

      ChiRhoPress.com is the only owner of the information
      collected from visitors to our Web site. We never sell,
      share, or rent this information to others in any way
      except for our own in-house use. Chi Rho Press collects
      information from our users at several different points
      on our Web site through a counter service and at the
      shopping cart order form.

      None of the information gathered from these sources will
      be passed on to any secondary sources. We hope to provide
      an enjoyable and secure environment for our visitors, and
      strive to maintain an enforced plan for dealing with
      privacy. If you feel that our site is not abiding by the
      stated privacy policy, please email us at
      privacyplan@.... If at any times changes to
      this policy are made, they will be duly noted to the
      public.

      Utmost care is taken to maintain the privacy of the
      shoppers who patronize our on-line store, send us e-mail,
      and/or are on our mailing lists. This includes the
      subscribers to our electronic newsletter, the Chi Rho
      Connection and the Chi Rho Reflection. It is our strict
      policy not to share, rent, or sell such data to anyone
      under any circumstances.

      Our extensive mailing list of names, addresses, telephone
      numbers, and e-mail addresses is simply not for sale and
      is not given to anyone!

      In addition, when our customers make purchases on our Web
      site using their credit cards, our shopping cart manager,
      Americart, strips the 16-digit number after confirming the
      success of the credit card charge and before sending us
      the order. This means that if you place an order with the
      Chi Rho Press Web site using your credit card, no one at
      the Press will see or know your credit card number. The
      only information we receive is your name, shipping address,
      the type of card you used (VISA, Mastercard, Discover/Novus,
      or American Express) and the expiration date on your card.

      When we take credit card information either in person,
      using our cool card swiper, or over the phone, by mail,
      or e-mail, our policy is to destroy the credit card number
      after successful billing. We do not keep your credit
      card numbers on file anywhere.

      Just FYI.

      4. Featured Book: Come Home!

      'Come Home! Reclaiming Spirituality and Community as
      Gay Men and Lesbians,' second edition, by Chris Glaser.
      first published in 1990 by HarperCollins, the second
      edition was published in 1998 by Chi Rho Press with the
      addition of five new chapters to the original 20.

      'Come Home!' is perhaps Chris Glaser's best book. It is
      divided into five sections, each with five chapters.
      The five sections are entitled, 'Welcoming God's
      Acceptance,' 'Receiving Our Inheritance,' 'Discerning Our
      Call,' 'Making Our Witness,' and 'Declaring Our Vision.'

      Bishop John Shelby Spong called 'Come Home!' 'powerful,
      sensitive, and provocative. . . . Glaser stands inside
      his own humanity as a gay male and hears the word of God
      through the Bible. Christians, gay and straight, need
      this book if we are to be the body of Christ.'

      This is a brilliant and important book by perhaps the
      best-known Gay Christian writer in the U.S. today.

      The Rev. Carter Heyward called 'Come Home!' 'an
      enthusiastic compelling testimony to the power of faith
      in the lives of many gay and lesbian Christians.'

      Virginia Ramey Mollenkott said, 'If courage, honesty,
      and insight are beautiful, then this is one beautiful
      book. . . . I rejoice that in this book all the gay
      men and lesbian women who have been robbed of their
      spirituality are issued an urgent invitation: Come home!'

      'Come Home!' by Chris Glaser offers a vision of faith,
      hope, and affirmation inviting gay men and lesbians to
      come home to their spirituality through Christian faith
      and community. Order your copy today!

      'Come Home!' is available for $19.95 each, $14.95 each
      for six or more copies, plus shipping and handling.

      5. Two Brothers A Parable

      (Author unknown, received via the Internet. Especially
      for Kevin.)

      Once upon a time two brothers who lived on adjoining
      farms fell into conflict. It was the first serious rift
      in 40 years of farming side by side, sharing machinery,
      and trading labor and goods as needed without a hitch.
      Then the long collaboration fell apart. It began with
      a small misunderstanding and it grew into a major
      difference, and finally it exploded into an exchange of
      bitter words followed by weeks of silence.

      One morning there was a knock on John's door. He opened
      it to find a man with a carpenter's toolbox. 'I'm looking
      for a few days work,' he said. 'Perhaps you would have a
      few small jobs here and there I could help with? Could
      I help you?'

      'Yes,' said the older brother. 'I do have a job for you.
      Look across the creek at that farm. That's my neighbor,
      in fact, it's my younger brother. Last week there was a
      meadow between us and he took his bulldozer to the river
      levee and now there is a creek between us. Well, he may
      have done this to spite me, but I'll go him one better.
      See that pile of lumber by the barn? I want you to build
      me a fence, an 8-foot fence, so I won't need to see his
      place or his face anymore.'

      The carpenter said, 'I think I understand the situation.
      Show me the nails and the post-hole digger and I'll be
      able to do a job that pleases you.'

      The older brother had to go to town, so he helped the
      carpenter get the materials ready and then he was off
      for the day. The carpenter worked hard all that day
      measuring, sawing, nailing. About sunset when the farmer
      returned, the carpenter had just finished his job.

      The farmer's eyes opened wide, his jaw dropped. There
      was no fence there at all. It was a bridge, a bridge
      stretching from one side of the creek to the other! A
      fine piece of work, handrails and all and the neighbor,
      his younger brother, was coming across, his hand
      outstretched. 'You are quite a fellow to build this
      bridge after all I've said and done.'

      The two brothers stood at each end of the bridge, and
      then they met in the middle, taking each other's hand.
      They turned to see the carpenter hoist his toolbox on
      his shoulder.

      'No, wait! Stay a few days. I've a lot of other projects
      for you,' said the older brother.

      'I'd love to stay on,' the carpenter said, 'but I have
      many more bridges to build.'

      My birthday passed with appropriate fanfare and
      celebration. June 23 was a beautiful day and I was
      honored to be able to present the second of two stained
      glass windows I made to my home church, Holy Redeemer
      MCC, in College Park, MD. This window has taken a long
      time to complete, unfortunately. Working a full time
      secular job and my work with the Press, makes my stained
      glass work feel like a third job some times, and I do
      not always have the time I need. But the window is
      finished and installed. (Work has already begun on the
      third window!)

      This new finished window is the Communion Window (the
      first was the Holy Spirit Window). I am donating the
      designs and my labor to the church for these four windows
      and church members have contributed money to cover most
      of the cost of supplies (glass, copper foil, solder, and
      framing).

      The Communion Window is especially poignant for me because
      Mr. Jim Plankenhorn endowed it in memory of his spouse,
      the late Rev. Larry Uhrig. Larry was a dear friend of
      mine and my pastor for a long time. He was pastor of
      MCC Washington, DC for many years and was one of MCC's
      best preachers.

      Come visit Holy Redeemer MCC, at 4907 Niagara Road, Suite
      102, College Park, MD 20740-1100; 301-982-5775, or visit
      their Website at http://www.holy-redeemer-mcc.org See
      the windows, but more importantly visit a wonderful,
      loving, friendly, Christ-centered, and growing congregation.
      Our Pastor is the Rev. Clay Witt.

      ******

      My body is falling apart! Three weeks ago I slipped on a
      manuscript I had cleverly left on the stairs while
      carrying a laundry basket down to the first floor. I
      fractured my coccyx, for which they can do nothing but
      give me meds for pain and inflammation. (No jokes,
      please, about my butt being in a sling!)

      My birthday weekend was marred somewhat by a major
      toothache, for which more meds (a heavy-duty antibiotic
      and more pain meds) were prescribed. I had to miss a
      wonderful hike at Great Falls, organized by my friend
      Chris at Holy Redeemer MCC.

      When I look in the mirror each morning, I notice that
      the gray in my hair is slowly winning the struggle to
      overtake the black. <sigh>

      But, my dear friend Bill scolded me a few years ago
      when I complained about getting older. Living in the
      era of HIV, Bill said, gave us no right to complain
      about growing older. Considering all the talented,
      wonderful people who never got the chance to be 50, we
      should gratefully cherish every day, week, month, and
      year that passes. We should praise God that our aches,
      pains, little accidents, and even the gray hairs, and
      that they are not much worse or symptoms of a truly
      severe, life threatening illness.

      Bill is right, of course, and I thank God daily for my
      life, my ministry, my work, and my health. And for the
      opportunity to live in a remarkable time in the life of
      our community.

      And I thank God for you, our faithful readers. Thanks
      for being part of this ministry!

      If you've received the Chi Rho Connection as a result of the
      good offices of someone passing it along to you (which
      we certainly encourage) and would like to receive it
      directly from us, please follow the directions at the
      end of this Connection to subscribe.

      To order, please visit http://www.ChiRhoPress.com You
      may pay by credit card on our web page or we will ship
      order. Include your e-mail address, mailing address,
      and telephone number please.

      If you have questions, please write to
      Question@....

      For comments and suggestions
      about this eNewsletter, please write
      Connection@....

      To learn about our Guardian
      Angel Individual Sponsor Program, please write
      Angels@....

      For all other correspondence,
      please write Adam@....

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her new Web page,
      http://www.christiangays.com

      R. Adam DeBaugh, Director, Adam@... .
      Kevin Stone Fries, Editor, Kevin@....