Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 9, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2002
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 9, 2002

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. As always, this meditation starts with a Gospel
      reading and a meditation based on it written by Nancy Eichert.

      Please read Luke 18:9-14

      My doctor has told me how sick I really am. I can't
      believe my ears. As the doctor leaves my bedside, I
      find myself talking to God about my condition. 'Now God,'
      I begin. 'you know I've always been faithful to you. I
      go o church every Sunday and I pray. We have some great
      conversations, you and I, don't we? And you remember
      the friend I brought to church last year. Why, I'm one
      of your greatest witnesses. Now God, about this
      illness. . . .'

      From across the room, from somewhere in the next bed I
      hear the soft sounds of muffled weeping, the voice of
      someone, as though calling out to a parent. 'Oh, Lord,
      have mercy. I'm lying here sick and in pain. The only
      thing I have to believe in is your love. Oh, Healer,
      your will be done in this body. Work out your love in
      this spirit. Help this sinner, Lord.'

      Hearing this prayer, I cannot help but wonder about my
      own need for God. Will God listen if I admit that I'm
      feeling scared, weak, and helpless? I had never thought
      so. Yet now, in the face of my sickness, the good deeds
      that I have relied on to give me a sense of self-worth
      seem so trivial, almost pathetic. Who will come to show
      me the way to empty my heart of its self-righteous deeds
      that it may be filled instead with God's merciful love?

      Recall today the condition of your life when Christ first
      came to you. Remember the pure mercy and tender love that
      entered your heart that day. Now breathe in God's love.
      Breathe out the vanity of self-righteousness.
      Re-experience God's grace as you continue your faith
      journey today relying on the tender mercy of God's love
      to give you a sense of self-worth.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,