Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 7, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2002
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 7, 2002

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. As always, this meditation starts with a Gospel
      reading, and April's meditations include a poem and a
      prayer written by Kate Eysaman.

      Please read Luke 4:31-37

      Spirit of the Law

      Eight years I've watched it. Starts about November.
      Huddled kids at the back of the courtroom watch
      Their mamas plead guilty for taking dolls from K-Mart.
      In Harrison's court they get the same sentence.
      'Yes, sir, I knew what I was doin'.
      But I couldn't let them see another
      Christmas without no toys.'
      'Three months in the workhouse.'
      Their frightened eyes move wide,
      Children whimper at the back.
      'Suspended.'
      Relief.
      He pays the clerk to see they get the toys they took.
      Some, too, find an envelope, a turkey maybe,
      Or a pair of shoes.
      In eight years
      I've never seen Harrison so much as smile.

      Dear Creator,

      I get so rule-bound that I sometimes lose my perspective
      on the reason we make rules to begin with. I walk a
      mental line between being principle-bound and being
      flexible, all too often letting others' opinions determine
      my stance. Please show me a middle ground that allows me
      to respect the rules in this life without sacrificing the
      higher principles on which they are founded. Give me a
      clear vision and sure footing that will take me with each
      step more surely in your direction. Amen.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,