Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 31, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2002
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 31, 2002

      **********

      The Staff and Board of Directors of Chi Rho Press wish
      you a very blessed Easter. May the Resurrected Christ
      become real in your life and remain with you always.

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. This meditation was written by the Rev.
      Carolyn 'Dusty' Pruitt.

      Please read John 16:1-15

      The Work of the Holy Spirit

      Jesus promised, 'When the Spirit of truth comes, that
      Spirit will guide you into all truth.' But how does the
      Spirit do this?

      First, each of us has an innate sense of right and wrong
      that is not culturally conditioned. Our sense of justice
      and the universal human thirst for freedom are examples
      of this sense. Surely our awareness of such ultimate
      meanings and truths is the work of the Holy Spirit.

      It is also the work of the Holy Spirit to 'convince the
      world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment.'
      The 'world' of John's Gospel is the whole world system
      that operates without reference to the precepts of God,
      in today's terms, multinational corporations that pollute
      the earth out of greed, or government bureaucrats who
      steal food from famine victims in order to sell it for
      their own gain. The Holy Spirit works within the hearts
      of these perpetrators to convince them of their sin.

      If the Holy Spirit does not reach their hearts, the
      Spirit will often work through people of conscience in
      the community to convince them and us about the
      'right-use-ness,' or stewardship, of the earth's
      resources.

      Finally, the Spirit works to convince the world of its
      judgment whenever nature rebels against damage to natural
      resources, damage brought about, for example, by
      industrial activities that produce acid rain; by
      agricultural and economic practices that reduce human
      food supplies; and by hunting and land use practices that
      lead to the virtual extinction of plants and animals.

      As Jesus promised, the Holy Spirit speaks convincingly to
      us today in our hearts, in our communities, and in nature
      itself, so as to guide us into all truth. Will you open
      your heart to hear that Spirit?

      Holy Spirit, open my heart to your work today, and give
      me courage to act on what I hear you saying. Amen.

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh and Kevin Stone Fries

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,