Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 3, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3 6:21 PM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 3, 2002

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. This meditation was written by the Rev.
      Carolyn 'Dusty' Pruitt.

      Please feel free to forward this to your friends.

      Please read Mark 8:11-21

      Beware of the Leaven

      In today's Scripture, Jesus' disciples are guilty of a
      very human failing: they mistake a metaphor having a
      spiritual meaning for one having a physical meaning.
      When Jesus tells them to beware of the leaven of the
      Pharisees and of Herod, the disciples turn to one another
      in puzzlement, telling each other that they have forgotten
      to bring bread, and wondering what Jesus could be talking
      about.

      Recall that just before this Jesus had been talking to the
      Pharisees, who had asked for a sign. Here, he is trying
      to tell his disciples that, when it comes to pass that
      they recognize him as the Messiah, they should not think
      of him in terms of earthly power, but in terms of a higher
      realm. The disciples, however, miss the point. They are
      able only to think in terms of empty stomachs, even though
      Jesus reminds them of the times that he has fed thousands.

      In the modern world, too, little effort is made to see the
      layers upon layers of spiritual meaning that underlie the
      mundane surface of things. Jesus' warning still applies:
      beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of Herod, the
      moving force that shapes one's visions so as to give
      primacy to temporal power. For that was the way the
      Pharisees and Herod saw Jesus' mission.

      Often, we too believe that the way to fulfillment is to
      strive for temporal power. We should remember that, even
      as Jesus' power derived from rejecting Satan's temptation
      and choosing the power of the Spirit, so too must we give
      temporal power a secondary priority if we seek to gain the
      power that the Spirit can give.

      Jesus, help me to see that be surrendering myself to you,
      I do not lose, but gain power. Teach me the difference
      between spiritual power and temporal power, and let me
      seek the spiritual power that comes from you. Amen.

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh and Kevin Stone Fries

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,