Chi Rho Reflection for Week of February 3, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2002
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Feb. 3, 2002

      is a meditation from ?The Road to Emmaus,? a book of
      of faith. This meditation was written by the late Rev.
      Larry Uhrig.

      Please feel free to forward this to your friends.

      Read John 1:1-18

      ?And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of
      grace and truth.?

      In two thousand years the Christian church has not yet
      comprehended these words. We have been taught to despise
      the flesh. We are sure sexual and physical things are
      inherently evil. We are embarrassed by our bodies. We
      hide ourselves, even from ourselves.

      Yet John tells us that the Spirit of God took on all flesh.
      Nor did this incarnation of spirit stop at the neck or the
      waist, but it filled every cell of Christ?s body. John
      goes on to tell us that Christ?s flesh was beautiful,
      filled with grace and truth.

      God desires to fill us in like manner. God wills that
      each of us should be full of grace and truth. Many people
      have negative self-images. We look with disgust upon our
      bodies. A part of our salvation surely must be a new
      appreciation of the flesh, our flesh. When we consider
      that the Word of God chooses to dwell in us, we can begin
      to look at our flesh and our sexuality in a whole new
      light. God?s creation is called good.

      This is good news. How wonderful! What delight is mine!
      Just think for a moment: God created all of me, calls me
      good, and wants to use all of me. More than this, Jesus
      Christ fully understands everything about my flesh and my
      life in this world. God has come so near to me. This is
      my good news.

      Jesus, take my hand. Today, more than ever, I need to let
      your truth and your Spirit fill me. Maybe some parts of
      the world and of the church don?t understand your being in
      my flesh, but I do, and that?s enough for me. I always
      knew that you knew me; thank you for making it so clear
      in your Word. Amen.

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh and Kevin Stone Fries

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,