Chi Rho Reflection for Week of January 27, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2002
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Jan. 27, 2002

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. This meditation was written by Father Robert

      Please feel free to forward this to your friends.

      Read John 7:14-31

      Upon college graduation a young man returned to his home
      church for a reception. He had majored in drama and was
      asked by an old nun, his former speech coach, to display
      his skills. She asked him to read her favorite psalm.
      Taking the Bible, he read slowly and dramatically, �The
      Lord is my shepherd,� in a rich, mellow, and well-trained
      voice. The people were spellbound and applauded loudly
      and enthusiastically when he finished.

      Then he handed the Bible to the nun and asked her to read
      the psalm. She took the book, laid it aside, and from
      memory began slowly and with deep feeling to recite the
      psalm. When she had finished there was dead silence in
      the hall and not a few wet eyes. The young graduate
      stepped forward and said, �Now you know the difference.
      I know the psalm, but she knows the shepherd.�

      People were amazed by what Jesus taught and by the way he
      spoke. Traditional rabbis quoted their teachers, passing
      on learned wisdom. Jesus� education came not from rabbinic
      schools, but from a personal and intimate relationship with
      Yahweh. He had no credits, no degrees, and no institutional
      backing. But his whole life was spent glorifying God, and
      from that source he drew a teaching which could not be
      challenged or denied. His enemies accused him of being
      possessed by an evil spirit. But the spirit that possessed
      Jesus was the spirit of truth and integrity, instantly
      recognizable by those who seek God with their lives.

      Speaking about God is not just for theologians, academics,
      seminarians, or preachers. Baptized Christians can and
      must speak about God. Those who nourish a deep relationship
      with God often speak to us in direct and simple ways that
      reveal God to us. Whether as educated as Thomas Merton or
      as simple and �unlearned� as a Latin American campesino,
      their honesty and truthfulness, if we listen, speak to us
      clearly of the one who sent them.

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh and Kevin Stone Fries

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,