Chi Rho Connection, Vol. III, No. 2

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2002

      The Chi Rho Press eNewsletter
      Vol. III, No. 2

      One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life:
      that word is love.
      Sophocles

      Contents:

      1. Improved Credit Card Access
      2. Featured Book: �Positively Gay�
      3. New Promissory Notes Offered
      4. FYI: Chi Rho Press Royalties
      5. Adam's Last Word: Exciting Times at the Press,
      Inez Berry�s Passing

      electronic newsletter of Chi Rho Press. Thank you for
      passing this Chi Rho Connection on to others.

      To unsubscribe send an e-mail to

      to see our entire lines of books, handouts, tchochkas,
      and stained glass.

      Direct all other e-mail to Adam@.... See
      the end of this eNewsletter for a complete list of
      e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. Improved Credit Card Access

      In our continuing efforts to better serve our customers,
      Chi Rho Press has increased its ability to accept credit
      cards. Over the past year and a half we have been able
      to take credit card payment only on our Web page
      (http://www.ChiRhoPress.com). We were working through
      an intermediary company, using their merchant accounts.
      D3 Marketing Innovations, of Lexington, KY firm has been
      in charge of our Web page and shopping cart. Dotti Berry,
      Angie Childers, and the other marvelous folks at D3 have
      been a huge help to Chi Rho Press as we continued to
      improve our Web page.

      Thanks to the hard work of the Press� Editor/Office Manager
      Kevin Stone Fries, we now have our own merchant account!
      This means we are not limited to our Web page when
      accepting credit card payments, but can take credit card
      payments over the telephone, by fax, by e-mail, by snail
      mail, or even in person. (Wait until you see our cool
      little �knuckle-buster!�)

      Our first real credit card payment was taken over the phone
      from a bookstore customer for over $340! A new bank account
      has been opened to receive and keep track of credit card
      payments (especially important for royalty payments!) and
      other systems are in place.

      So whether you want to order something on line, over the
      phone, by e-mail, in person, or any other way, you can
      now pay by credit card. You can even call us to become
      a Guardian Angel and we can take your contribution over
      the phone on your credit card.

      Chi Rho Press accepts VISA, MasterCard, American Express,
      and Discover/Novus.

      2. Featured Book: Positively Gay

      Chi Rho Press has copies of the third edition of
      'Positively Gay: New Approaches to Gay and Lesbian Life'
      (Celestial Arts, 2001).

      Chi Rho Press is now carrying this book in part because
      our founder and Director, Adam DeBaugh, wrote the chapter
      entitled, 'Using Your Gay and Lesbian Voting Power.'
      This is an important book and the updated new edition,
      in the bright red cover, is an important addition to every
      LGBT library.

      'I wish we had published that!' says Adam DeBaugh. 'But
      I am proud to have been a part of Positively Gay since the
      publication of the first edition in 1979. This book has
      been a classic for 22 years, a must read for all LGBT people
      and their allies!'

      'Positively Gay has been widely and consistently praised
      for its practical treatment of the variety of topics
      affecting the lives of gays and lesbians. In this revised,
      third edition, Dr. Betty Berzon has brought together an
      impressive list of contributors from diverse backgrounds,
      disciplines, and approaches to spotlight significant but
      frequently overlooked issues that often take center stage
      in a gay or lesbian person's life.� (From the book jacket.)

      Author Michelangelo Signorile says, 'Positively Gay was the
      first gay book I ever read. It scared me. It challenged
      me. It excited me. And it eventually made me feel good
      about myself.'

      Sections of the book include, Being Gay: Personal Issues,
      Social Options; Partnering: The Special Issues of Same-Sex
      Coupling; Family Relations: Fresh Perspectives; Aging: A
      Season of Grace; Religion: Reconciling the Spiritual
      Dilemma; The Practical Aspects: Taking Control of Your
      Life; People of Color: The Special Experiences of
      Minorities Within a Minority; Young People: The Future
      of Our Community; and Telling Our Stories. There is
      also a helpful discussion guide.

      Authors include the compiler and editor, Betty Berzon,
      Mark Thompson, Betty Fairchild, Del Martin and Phyllis
      Lyon, Rabbi Denise Eger, Rev. William Johnson, Father
      Robert Nugent, Brian McNaught, R. Adam DeBaugh, Teresa
      DeCrescenzo, and John Preston. U.S. Rep. Barney Frank
      wrote the Foreword.

      'Positively Gay' sells for $14.95, plus $2.50 shipping
      and handling. Currently it is only available from Chi
      Rho Press through mail order (not on the Web page yet,
      look for it online soon!). Please send your credit card
      information, check, or money order for $17.45 to Chi Rho
      Press, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      3. New Promissory Notes Offered

      The Board of Directors of Chi Rho Press has authorized
      issuing new Promissory Notes at 6% simple interest. The
      Promissory Notes are a way for Chi Rho Press to seek
      capitalization for our ministry. The investments will
      be used to pay down existing, more expensive debt,
      increase staff effectiveness, and fund the printing of
      new publications. We urge you to invest in this ministry
      with $1,000 or more in Promissory Notes.

      Promissory Notes in $1,000 increments are available from
      Chi Rho Press, at 6% simple interest, repaid in eight
      quarterly payments over a two year period.

      Write Adam@... for the text of the Promissory
      Note, and send your check or credit card information for
      $1,000 (or $2,000, $3,000, or even $5,000!). We will
      send a signed Note upon the receipt of your check or
      credit card payment.

      Of course, contributions to Chi Rho Press are fully tax
      deductible. If you are able to make a financial gift to
      this ministry, we would welcome your support. Gifts and
      contributions of any size are welcome and appreciated!
      Our Guardian Angel Individual Sponsors program starts
      with a minimum gift of $150 a year and our Guardian
      Angels receive discounts on Press publications, free
      gifts during the year, and special other perks.

      Thanks for your support!

      4. FYI: Chi Rho Press Royalties

      We are introducing a new column called FYI, which will
      discuss aspects of publishing and the business of Chi Rho
      Press. This month�s FYI column is about Royalties.

      Authors make money from their writing, in part, from
      royalties. Royalties are a percentage of sales of
      published books. Publishing houses have a wide variety
      of policies about royalty payments.

      Early in the life of Chi Rho Press, we were negotiating
      publishing a second edition of a book published by another
      small house. The author told me he was eagerly waiting
      for his first royalty check from the first edition,
      especially since the other publisher had decided not to
      keep the book in print and returned publication rights
      to him. Out of curiosity, I asked what his contract said,
      and he told me that he was to start earning royalties
      after the first 1,000 books were sold.

      Since he was updating and adding new material to his
      already published work, I talked with the publisher about
      taking over publication rights for this excellent book.
      I asked what their press run had been for the first
      edition and was told 1,000 copies. Only later did it
      dawn on me that they had cheated the author, he would
      never earn any royalties because they would never sell
      over 1,000 books. When I told the author this, he was
      quite dismayed. He hadn�t been told what the press run
      was and the implications of that decision on his contract
      in terms of royalty payments.

      That is one reason why we have always had a royalty policy
      that is rather generous by industry standards, and why we
      involve our authors in all decisions about their books,
      from page design, cover art, editing decisions, price, and
      even the press run.

      Chi Rho Press is a small, independent publishing house.
      We started with no capitalization. We have pretty much
      lived hand to mouth, spending what we take in. Only over
      the past couple of years has Chi Rho Press sought
      capitalization through loans and our Promissory Notes
      program, and most recently with gifts and contributions
      made possible by our 501(c)(3) status, which make
      contributions to Chi Rho Press fully tax deductible.

      We customarily don�t pay advances to our authors but we
      are proud that our royalty schedule is better than most
      other houses. Our royalty policy is that we pay our
      authors 20% of actual sales income for their books.
      Royalties start being paid after the printing costs (and
      only printing costs) have been recouped in sales.
      Royalties are paid quarterly.

      Editor Kevin Stone Fries likes to call Chi Rho Press a
      �micro-press� and he is right, we are a small house with
      limited staff and resources, though we are continually
      growing. For 12 years we have been committed to
      publishing quality books on religious and spiritual
      themes of special interest to the gay, lesbian, bisexual,
      transgendered, and seeking community and our friends.
      For the most part we have published authors who have not
      been published before and whose work might not have been
      published by larger, mainstream houses. We feel that it
      is important to give our authors the opportunity to have
      their work published.

      Our royalty system won�t necessarily enable any of our
      authors to retire, but we think it is one incentive to
      come to Chi Rho Press with their manuscripts rather than
      to some of the big houses.

      Just For Your Information!

      5. Adam's Last Word:

      These are exciting times at Chi Rho Press! We will soon
      roll out our new, improved Web site. We can now accept
      credit cards everywhere, not just on the Web site (please
      see article 1). We today launched a new periodic feature
      article in your Chi Rho Connection, FYI (article 4). The
      Board has authorized a new issue of Promissory Notes
      (article 3).

      More exciting changes are in the works as well. We are
      preparing to launch a new, on-line theological journal,
      the Chi Rho Quarterly. New books are in the works. Kevin
      continues editing Dr. Sandy Bochonok�s book of daily
      meditations, �Living as the Beloved.� We have new
      manuscripts to review.

      Our list of Guardian Angels is growing as well and we
      encourage our supporters to become Guardian Angels, with
      your tax-deductible contribution of at least $150.

      2002 is going to be a busy and challenging year. Thanks
      for being a part of it with us!

      *****

      We are saddened at the death of Inez Berry, the mother of
      UFMCC evangelist the Rev. Delores Berry, last Saturday,
      Jan. 19. I will be attending Inez� funeral at MCC DC
      tomorrow (Jan. 26). MCC founder Troy Perry will officiate.

      Inez was an amazing woman of faith. She was intensely
      loyal to her family, especially her daughter Delores and
      Delores� partner Judy. She was a great supporter of
      Delores and Judy�s ministry of evangelism and of MCC.
      Inez was one of the first heterosexual parents who became
      members of MCC and was a familiar figure at church
      conferences.

      I remember Inez Berry as a wonderful cook, a sweet spirit,
      a generous and caring woman, and a real mother to many
      people to whom she reached out with love and devotion.
      The love and prayers of all of us here at Chi Rho Press
      go out to Delores and Judy and the rest of their family
      as we mourn Inez together. May she rest in peace and may
      light perpetual shine upon her as she finally rests in
      the loving arms of her creator.

      If you've received the Chi Rho Connection as a result of the
      good offices of someone passing it along to you (which
      we certainly encourage) and would like to receive it
      directly from us, please follow the directions at the
      end of this Connection to subscribe.

      To order, please visit http://www.ChiRhoPress.com. You
      may pay by credit card on our web page or we will ship
      order. Include your e-mail address, mailing address,
      and telephone number please.

      If you have questions, please write to
      Question@....

      For comments and suggestions
      about this eNewsletter, please write
      Connection@....

      To learn about our Guardian
      Angel Individual Sponsor Program, please write
      Angels@....

      For all other correspondence,
      please write Adam@....

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her new Web page,
      http://www.christiangays.com.

      Kevin Stone Fries, Editor/Office Manager,
      Kevin@....