Chi Rho Connection, Vol. III, No. 1

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2002

      The Chi Rho Press eNewsletter
      Vol. III, No. 1

      Happy New Year. May your troubles in 2002 be as
      short-lived as your resolutions.

      Contents:

      1. Father Mychal Judge�s Prayer
      2. Recapping the Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse
      3. New Promissory Notes Offered
      4. Publication of 2002 Liturgical Calendar Cancelled
      5. Adam's Last Word:

      electronic newsletter of Chi Rho Press. Thank you for
      passing this Chi Rho Connection on to others.

      To unsubscribe send an e-mail to

      to see our entire lines of books, handouts, tchochkas,
      and stained glass.

      Direct all other e-mail to Adam@.... See
      the end of this eNewsletter for a complete list of
      e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. Father Mychal Judge�s Prayer

      This prayer was written by Father Mychal Judge, the first
      identified victim of the World Trade Center terrorist
      attacks. Fr. Judge was a remarkable man, embraced and
      celebrated by many parts of the New York community,
      including the Gay community. A Catholic priest, a
      Franciscan, and fire department chaplain, he was killed
      by falling debris at the World Trade Center while giving
      last rites to a fire fighter. Here is his prayer:

      Lord, take me where you want me to go
      Let me meet who you want me to meet
      Tell me what you want me to say
      And keep me out of your way. Amen.

      Father Mychal Judge, victim 00001, World Trade Center

      2. Recapping the Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse

      The last thirteen issues of the Chi Rho Connection each
      featured one of the Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse
      from Dr. Rembert Truluck�s amazing book by the same name.
      We thought it would be well to list all the steps in this
      premier issue of 2002.

      Step 1, Admit You Have Been Hurt by Religion
      Step 2, Turn to God for Help
      Step 3, Examine Your Faith
      Step 4, Face and Deal with Your Anger
      Step 5, Avoid Negative People and Churches
      Step 6, Confront the Scripture Used Against You
      Step 7, Find Positive Supportive Scripture
      Step 8, Read and Study the Gospels
      Step 9, Come Out and Accept Yourself
      Step 10, Develop Your Support System
      Step 11, Learn to Share Your Faith
      Step 12, Become a Freedom Missionary
      Step 13, Give Yourself Time to Heal and Recover

      *****

      You may buy 'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse' on the
      Chi Rho Press Web site, http://www.ChiRhoPress.com, using
      your credit card on our secure shopping cart. �Steps� is
      $24.95, plus $3.50 shipping and handling for one copy.

      3. New Promissory Notes Offered

      The Board of Directors of Chi Rho Press has authorized
      issuing new Promissory Notes at 6% simple interest. The
      Promissory Notes are a way for Chi Rho Press to seek
      capitalization for our ministry. The investments will
      be used to pay down existing, more expensive debt,
      increase staff effectiveness, and fund the printing of
      new publications. We urge you to invest in this ministry
      with $1,000 or more in Promissory Notes.

      Promissory Notes in $1,000 increments are available from
      Chi Rho Press, at 6% simple interest, repaid in eight
      quarterly payments over a two year period.

      Write Adam@... for the text of the Promissory
      Note, and send your check for $1,000 (or $2,000, $3,000,
      or even $5,000!). We will send a signed Note upon the
      receipt of your check.

      Of course, contributions to Chi Rho Press are fully tax
      deductible. If you are able to make a financial gift to
      this ministry, we would welcome your support. Our Guardian
      Angel Individual Sponsors program starts with a minimum
      gift of $150 a year and our Guardian Angels receive
      discounts on Press publications, free gifts during the
      year, and special other perks.

      Thanks for your support!

      4. Publication of 2002 Liturgical Calendar Cancelled

      Chi Rho Press regrets to report we will not be able to
      publish a Year A 2002 Liturgical Calendar. Due to the
      late status of the production schedule, which would
      probably not allow us to publish until later this month
      at the earliest, we feel most customers will already have
      found an alternative product.

      We believe that the liturgical calendar has been a valued
      resource for many of our most loyal customers for the last
      seven years, and the staff and board of Chi Rho Press
      deeply regret what we expect will only be a temporary
      discontinuation of the annual Liturgical Calendar. We are
      working to revise the content and format of the calendar
      for next year.

      Future Liturgical Calendars will be very different from
      previous Calendars, offering much more information and
      utility for leaders of worship across the UFMCC and beyond.
      This year�s Calendar was to have been compiled by a pastor
      new to the project with great ideas; however, it would also
      have cost significantly more to produce. Given the untested
      new product and the lateness of the hour in getting the
      finished material to us, Chi Rho Press believes it best
      not to publish a Liturgical Calendar this year.

      We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by
      this very regrettable situation. Please also know that
      we have informed you as soon as the decision not to
      publish was made. To all who have pre-paid outstanding
      orders for this year�s Liturgical Calendar, we will issue
      a refund or credit.

      We would also like to direct you to a substitute resource
      that you might find helpful during 2002. Visit
      http://www.cresourcei.org/RCLmenu.html for information
      about the Revised Common Lectionary, as well as scripture
      readings by Sunday.

      If you are interested in learning how we might change
      our liturgical calendar, please write the Director and
      Publisher R. Adam DeBaugh at Adam@.... If
      you have inquired about the Liturgical Calendar this year
      we will keep your name on file and notify you in mid-2002
      about the production of the 2003 Year B Liturgical Calendar.
      Thank you for your patience and understanding.

      5. Adam's Last Word:

      The long holiday period is finally over. All of us here
      at Chi Rho Press hope that you had a wonderful holiday
      time and that the new year 2002 will be filled with every
      good thing for you.

      The holidays were somewhat subdued this year, sales were
      down from last year and things never seemed to reach the
      fever pitch we often associate with the holidays. In the
      wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and the war in
      Afghanistan, it seemed as though the holidays crept up on
      us unaware and passed with little fanfare. Perhaps that
      is a good thing, if it means more people were spending
      their time meditating on the reason for the season, the
      incarnation of God in our midst in the person of Jesus
      Christ.

      I had a relatively quiet Christmas and New Years. Kevin
      Fries (who is my best friend as well as my co-worker here
      at the Press) and I escaped to New York City for a few
      days right before Christmas, returning home in time for
      a dinner party Christmas Eve. We stayed in a wonderfully
      gay bed and breakfast on West 22nd Street called the
      Colonial House Inn (http://www.colonialhouseinn.com).
      The building had been the first home of the Gay Men�s
      Health Crisis in New York.

      We had a Gay literary weekend, seeing the Oscar Wilde
      exhibit at the Morgan Library (http://www.morganlibrary.org),
      dinner with a writer friend at Tea and Sympathy on
      Greenwich, a wonderful church service Sunday at MCC New
      York, and high tea at Lady Mendl�s just south of Grammercy
      Park (http://www.travel-new-york.com/inn-at-irving). Of
      course there was the obligatory shopping as well (Saks
      Fifth Avenue, FAO Schwartz, and looking in the windows
      of Tiffany�s) and seeing the tree, decorations, and
      crowds at Rockefeller Center.

      Lady Mendl turns out to be Elsie de Wolfe who is credited
      with creating the interior decorating industry in the US.
      She was a rather unsuccessful actress, but her time on
      the stage enabled her to meet Elizabeth Marbury, a New
      York theatrical agent and producer. They fell in love
      and bought two conjoined brownstones on Irving Place
      (Lexington Avenue extended south of Grammercy Park)
      which Elsie decorated. Her interior design for their
      house was such as success that friends began asking her
      to decorate their homes and a new business was created.

      Elsie and Bessie Marbury continued together for many
      years. When Elsie suddenly married Sir Charles Mendl
      late in life it was much to Bessie�s surprise. But Sir
      Charles assured Bessie that it was merely a marriage of
      convenience. When Bessie died at aged 60, she left her
      entire estate to the love of her life, Elsie, Lady Mendl.
      A wonderful lesbian love story! (Read David Bianco�s
      mini-bio of Elsie de Wolfe at
      http://www.camprehoboth.com/issue03-10-00/pastout.htm.)

      Now their home on Irving Place is the Inn at Irving
      Place, and includes the rather famous restaurant Verbena,
      and Lady Mendl�s Tea Room. The five-course high tea is
      a real event there and Kevin and I thought it a highlight
      of our New York trip. Are we queer or what?

      Once we were back home, Christmas passed quietly with
      dinner parties Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Boxing
      Day, and then New Years Eve was spent at an early dinner
      with friends at a wonderful Vietnamese restaurant in
      Rockville, MD (Taste of Saigon) and movies at home.
      Time for reflection, meditation, and prayer made the
      holidays extra special, along with lots of time with my
      dearest friend Kevin and other friends and family.

      You may recall my telling you that I had bought livestock
      for my niece and nephews through the Heifer Project
      International, http://www.heifer.org. Well, I am pleased
      to say they were a big hit with the kids and they are
      delighted that families in other parts of the world will
      be receiving a hive of bees and training in bee keeping,
      a flock of ducks, and a flock of chicks in their names.

      So now 2002 is well and truly with us. The debate over
      whether or not we have passed into the 21st Century must
      surely be over by now. And we enter 2002 a bit more
      sobered perhaps, more serious, maybe even a little more
      fearful. It is my hope that we also enter 2002 with a
      new resolve to be more attentive to the needs of our
      spiritual natures, to be more concerned about those less
      fortunate than ourselves, to be more thankful for all
      that we have, to be less willing to ignore oppression
      and discrimination, and to be more willing to stand up
      for our rights as LGBT people and our allies.

      Of course, we also hope that the new year will bring a
      renewed and continued interest in reading! I urge you
      to check out our Web page and to purchase a book or two
      from Chi Rho Press. We rely on your patronage to keep
      us in business and growing. The new year will hold a
      lot of exciting things for us, a new look to the Web
      page, better ability to serve you, new books and products,
      and new opportunities for investment.

      Thanks for being a part of this ministry! Happy New Year!

      If you've received the Chi Rho Connection as a result of the
      good offices of someone passing it along to you (which
      we certainly encourage) and would like to receive it
      directly from us, please follow the directions at the
      end of this Connection to subscribe.

      To order, please visit http://www.ChiRhoPress.com. You
      may pay by credit card on our web page or we will ship
      order. Include your e-mail address, mailing address,
      and telephone number please.

      If you have questions, please write to
      Question@....

      For comments and suggestions
      about this eNewsletter, please write
      Connection@....

      To learn about our Guardian
      Angel Individual Sponsor Program, please write
      Angels@....

      For all other correspondence,
      please write Adam@....

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her new Web page,
      http://www.christiangays.com.

      Kevin Stone Fries, Editor/Office Manager,
      Kevin@....