90Reflection for the Week of Dec. 2, 2001

    Dec 3, 2001
      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. This meditation was written by R. Adam DeBaugh.

      Luke 21:5-19

      �Take heed that you are not led astray. . . .�

      Jesus does not encourage us, in today�s Gospel, to expect
      that the world will always affirm us in our experience of
      and belief in Christ. In fact, Jesus tells us that we
      can expect persecution, and history confirms Jesus�
      prediction.

      Those of us who are gay Christians have had to face
      persecution, just as Jesus warns. Many in the world
      despise us for being religious, organized religion having
      been 'the enemy� for so long. And as if that weren�t
      enough, we are at times persecuted by the very church
      family we seek to belong to.

      Some would say that we are victims of false prophets,
      that we have been led astray, that the Gospel of love
      is not for all people, or even that we should deny that
      our sexuality is a good gift from God. With so many
      conflicting messages, how do we know God�s will in our
      lives? How do we ferret out the truth?

      Each Christian begins to find the truth by listening to
      the whisper of the Spirit in the heart. God still speaks
      to each of us, and if we are quiet and open, God�s truth
      will be revealed to us.

      In order to test what we believe God has laid upon our
      hearts, we then look at the results of our beliefs, for
      God�s truth will not result in confusion and pain, but
      rather in peace and joy. The fruit of the Spirit in our
      lives, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,
      faithfulness, gentleness, self-control, will help us know
      the truth and will set us free.

      Dear God of Truth, help me to discern the truth in my
      life. Help me to separate my imperfect will from your
      perfect will. Help me see the fruit of the Spirit of
      truth. Amen.

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh and Kevin Stone Fries

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,
      Gaithersburg, MD 20898.