828Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 16, 2014

    Feb 16, 2014
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 16, 2014

      The 2014 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is available for immediate shipment.  Order yours today at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCal_13_14.html

      Please check out two new things on our Web site:  Our new line of note cards, http://www.chirhopress.com/products/Fontaine_cards_pick_list.html and our newest book, "A

      More Excellent Way," by EXCEL Retreat Ministries, at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevAMoreExcellent%20Way.htm .

      As one of the on-going ministries of Chi Rho Press, here is a selection from our book of daily devotions, "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra Bochonok.

      Please read the Scripture passage and Dr. Bochonok's meditation.  We hope you will be blessed.  Thank you for forwarding this to your friends.

      Take a breather!
      "Then the Lord God formed the human from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and the human became a living being."
      Genesis 2:7

      All of us can experience spiritual wellness and healing through breathing.  Contemplative people from many different religious and non-religious traditions can breathe in life with every breath.  All of us can breathe slowly, breathe a little more deeply, and breathe in a centering word to symbolize our desire to meditate, reflect, relax, and reclaim inner empowerment.  Each spiritual tradition has cherished words of centering prayer, phrases to enhance breathing practices.

      A story is told of a spiritual seeker who desired instruction in the art of prayer from a Hindu guru.  The guru said, "Concentrate on your breathing."  After about five minutes, the guru said, "The air you breathe is God.  You are breathing God in and out.  Become aware of that, and stay with that awareness" (De Mello, Anthony.  "Sadhana.  A Way to God:  Christian Exercises in Eastern Form," pp. 7-8).  People throughout the ages have discovered spiritual empowerment by examining their awareness of their breath.

      Another ancient prayer reminds us that God is "as close to us as our breathing, nearer than our hands and feet" (Wuellner, Flora Slosson.  "Prayer and Our Bodies," p. 36).  Breathing is the simplest way to center, focus, and be inwardly quiet and still.  Breathing helps us listen to our bodies.  We can breathe, feel, and listen to our heartbeat.  By sitting silently, in stillness, quiet breath meditations can connect us with our hidden, buried feelings and help us become truer to ourselves.  Breathing can help us come into inner healing and transformation.

      Try to concentrate on your breathing for the next five minutes.

      God, help me become aware of you with my breathing.  Amen

      Please visit the Chi Rho Press Web site.  You can order using our convenient secure shopping cart and pay on line using your credit card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each, plus shipping and handling.  Six or more copies are $15.75 each, plus shipping and handling.  You can find http://tinyurl.com/Living-as-Beloved.

      United States customers, please remember when ordering on the Web site secure server to select "US Postal Service Parcel Post" rather than the default setting of "UPS Ground."  It is much less expensive!