821Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 22, 2013

    Dec 21, 2013
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 22, 2013

      **********
      The 2014 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is back from the printer and bindery and available for immediate shipment.  Order yours today at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCal_13_14.html

      Please check out two new things on our Web site:  Our new line of note cards, http://www.chirhopress.com/products/Fontaine_cards_pick_list.html and our newest book, "A
      More Excellent Way," by EXCEL Retreat Ministries, at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevAMoreExcellent%20Way.htm .

      meditation.  We hope you will be blessed.  Thank you
      for forwarding this to your friends.

      A favorite Christmas tree ornament

      "The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, the lion shall eat straw like the ox; but the serpent – its food shall be dust!  They shall not hurt or destroy on all my holy mountain, says our God."
      Isaiah 65:25

      I once had a roommate who kept her artificial Christmas tree up year round.  The inexpensive tree was prominently displayed in the front window for the entire neighborhood to see and enjoy.  Our neighbors thought we were a bit eccentric but harmless.  That inexpensive tree provided good natured entertainment for many and a few sarcastic comments by others.

      Each month had a different and distinctly seasonal ornamental theme.  July was easy with patriotic red, white, and blue.  November decorations had turkey ornaments and autumn colors.  Easter brought the tree festive little toy bunnies, colored eggs, and ceramic chicks.  Christmas however, was a marvelous hodgepodge of ornaments.  I am convinced Martha Stewart would have shaked her head in dismay at our little tree.

      Christmas ornaments can beautifully reflect the meaning of the season.  One of my all time favorites is a cheap ceramic little lamb lying peacefully next to a lion, inspired by today's verse found in Isaiah.

      This simple ornament brings each viewer into the rest of the Christ child story.  The holy child of Bethlehem was born with a divine mission, to conquer sin and death.  The babe in the manger grew up to be the greatest spiritual leader world history would ever know, who promised to return to earth again, in great power and heavenly glory.

      When that great and wonderful day occurs, a new heaven and earth will be ushered in, bringing into existence a world where the lion and lamb peacefully coexist, and God will dwell permanently in our midst.  There will be no more sin, crying, pain, or death in that new creation.  All this theology is reflected in my simple little Christmas ornament.

      What ornaments hang on your own tree this year?  Do any of them tell the Christmas story?  If not, consider adding some that reflect the spiritual meaning of the season.  A nativity scene, star of David, the three kings from the Orient, and the lion with the lamb complement Santa Claus, and bring us powerful reminders of the real meaning of this holiday season.

      Dear God, I thank you for the simple lessons Christmas ornaments bring.  Through ornaments on my own tree, and the trees of others, bless my Christmas season prayers today.  Amen.

      Please visit the Chi Rho Press Web site.  You can order

      plus shipping and handling.  Six or more copies are
      $15.75 each, plus shipping and handling.  You can find

      of "UPS Ground."  It is much less expensive!