791Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 17, 2013

    Mar 18, 2013
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 17, 2013

      The blessing of friendship

      "A friend loves at all times"
      Proverbs 17:17a

      "May you be blessed with good friends. May you learn
      to be a good friend to yourself" (John O'Donohue, "Anam
      Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom," p. 36).

      How do you understand friendship? When times are good
      and money is plentiful, the world seems full of friends.
      But when the money is gone and the times are hard, our
      real friends quickly become known.

      Friendship can be tested through bereavement, poverty,
      and danger. Sometimes friends may even leave biological
      families of origin, birth countries, and religions to
      journey with a friend. A friend is a great gift from
      God. Friends can speak the truth in love and their words
      reach our souls. There are times when dear friends need
      no spoken words. It is enough to simply be together. A
      good friend truly loves at all times.

      The story of Ruth offers both men and women important
      lessons about real friendship. In Hebrew, the name Ruth
      means friend, companion. She is responsible when others
      are irresponsible. She lived during a time of bloody
      civil war, great corruption, and famine. She was not
      born in ancient Israel, yet her deep friendship
      characterized by tender, fierce loyalty to her friend
      Naomi earns her a place as one of the most significant
      women in Israel.

      If you have never read this old, old story, consider it.
      It will change your understanding of friendship forever.

      Dear God, bless us with good friends. Teach us how to be
      a good friend to others. Help us learn to be good friends
      even to ourselves. Amen.