710Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 3, 2011

    Jul 4, 2011
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 3, 2011

      Speaking against the Holy Spirit

      "Or how can one enter a strong man's house and plunder
      his property, without first tying up the strong man?
      Then indeed the house can be plundered. Whoever is
      not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather
      with me scatters. Therefore I tell you, people will
      be forgiven for every sin and blasphemy, but blasphemy
      against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Whoever
      speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven,
      but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be
      forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."
      Matthew 12:29-32

      Ask many questions while reading sacred words. Our
      answers may be revealing and transforming. When I
      read these verses, I find myself wondering if I am
      with Jesus or against him. Am I serving him or serving
      myself? What is this unpardonable sin against the Holy
      Spirit? Do I have it in my own life? Could I be in
      spiritual danger? Other gospel writers mention this
      confusing sin (Mark 3:28-29; Luke 12:10), but what does
      it mean for my time in world history? Jesus spoke in
      the first century. Are these words still culturally
      relevant? I believe they are timeless. The challenge
      is to interpret them with cultural relevance for each

      Have we ever spoken against the Holy Spirit of God?
      F. F. Bruce notes that literature abounds with stories
      about people who commit "the unpardonable sin." He
      suggests we read these passages with care. Matthew's
      Gospel seems to imply that unforgivable sin is to
      deliberately shut one's eyes to the light and to call
      good evil. But quite honestly, many Biblical scholars
      are in disagreement about what this actually means.
      If they are in disagreement, what hope do we have for
      understanding the message?

      Living without full understanding can actually create
      a healthy tension for growing moments of introspection
      and reflection. A helpful spiritual practice is when
      in doubt, stay with the passages or parts that are
      clearly understood. Revelation is progressive and
      some answers may not be fully understood this side
      of eternity.

      With this said, it is clear that we are to identify
      with Jesus while living on this earth. If our spiritual
      anchors are set deep in the foundation of Christ, clear
      answers will come in God's time and ways. We are all
      works of grace in progress. Be patient! God is not
      finished with us yet. I am confident that all who
      chose to identify with Jesus have nothing to worry
      about with this passage.

      God, I do not have all the answers I would like to
      have with these verses. But I clearly understand I
      am for Jesus. Help me live in such a way that this
      is clear. Forgive the sin in my life and help me not
      blaspheme against your Spirit. Amen.

      God, hear our prayers. Help our unbelief. Amen.