607Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 5, 2009

    Jul 4, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 5, 2009

      meditation. we hope you will be blessed.

      Greater than Solomon!

      "Then some of the scribes and Pharisees said to him,
      'Teacher, we wish to see a sign from you.' But he
      answered them, 'An evil and adulterous generation
      asks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it
      except the sign of the prophet Jonah. For just as
      Jonah was for three days and three nights in the
      belly of the sea monster, so for three days and
      three nights the Son of Man will be in the heart
      of the earth. The people of Nineveh will rise up
      at the judgement with this generation and condemn
      it, because they repented at the proclamation of
      Jonah, and see, something greater than Jonah is
      here! The queen of the South will rise up at the
      judgement with this generation and condemn it,
      because she came from the ends of the earth to
      listen to the wisdom of Solomon, and see,
      something greater than Solomon is here! When
      the unclean spirit has gone out of a person,
      it wanders through waterless regions looking
      for a resting-place, but it finds none. Then
      it says, "I will return to my house from which
      I came." When it comes, it finds it empty,
      swept, and put in order. Then it goes and
      brings along seven other spirits more evil
      than itself, and they enter and live there;
      and the last state of that person is worse
      than the first. So will it be also with this
      evil generation.'"
      Matthew 12:38-45

      Who among us has not asked God for signs and
      answers to our prayers and spiritual quests
      for meaning? The answer Jesus gave two
      thousand years ago continues to be relevant
      today. He refers us to the Hebrew scriptures
      in the stories of Jonah, Solomon, and the Queen
      of the Sheba.

      Jonah is a profound story of one man's rebellion
      and ethnic prejudice in the face of God's compassion
      and willingness to forgive an evil people (from
      Nineveh). Children are often told the story of
      how Jonah was swallowed up by a great fish. He
      was held captive in the belly of the fish for
      three days and nights. Even when he was released
      from the fish to do what God commanded him to do,
      he was a reluctant prophet who detested the people
      to whom he was sent. The people of Nineveh listened
      to Jonah's message, repented of their sins, and
      found life. Jesus used this story to indirectly
      refer to his future death and burial for three days
      in the tomb. This would be his sign to the religious
      leaders; he would rise from the dead after three days
      in the grave.

      The Queen of Sheba was a wise queen who traveled a
      great distance to learn even more wisdom from King
      Solomon (1 Kings 10:1-13; 2 Chronicles 9:1-12). She
      was willing to go to the ends of the earth to find
      truth and life-sustaining knowledge to bring back
      to her people.

      The Pharisees had asked for a miraculous sign.
      Jesus offered them, and offers us, the Easter
      miracle. Death is conquered through the empty

      Oh God, these old stories bring us exciting new
      perspectives. Help us learn from the mistakes
      and prejudices of Jonah. Encourage our pursuit
      of wisdom and excellence through the Queen of
      Sheba's example. Empower us with the wisdom of
      Solomon. All three point us to Christ. Through
      Jesus Christ, teach us resurrection hope. Amen.