60Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 5, 2001

    Aug 5 8:30 PM
      is a meditation from �The Road to Emmaus,� a book of
      of faith. This meditation was written by Philip E.
      Carolan.

      Please feel free to forward this to your friends.

      Mark 8:1-10

      My strongest memory of James, a friend who died of AIDS,
      is of a postcard he once sent, a picture of a young man
      on roller skates dressed as a fairy godmother, waving a
      wand, and holding a sign which read: �It takes guts to be
      a butterfly!� How true. Even the caterpillar must die
      to its old self, must trust that in becoming a vulnerable
      chrysalis, it will emerge as a new being, a butterfly.

      I remember, too, another gay man, lying on the sofa at
      his sister�s house in the middle of an afternoon,
      dehydrated, unable to keep food down, with a high
      temperature, a headache, and the sweats; not even
      diagnosed yet, he had already stopped caring and was
      ready to die. Suddenly, his three-year-old niece,
      playing quietly in the same room, silently got up from
      her play, walked over to the sofa, studied him a moment,
      then bent over, lightly kissed his forehead, and without
      saying a word returned to her quiet play. As he later
      said, that simple expression of love gave him both the
      motivation and strength to fight the illness. She had,
      he said, burst open the walls of his cocoon.

      Death, suffering, and the pain of breaking open are all
      integral parts of the human experience; but so, too, are
      joy, love, and hope. Think of Jesus� willingness to
      trust God enough to be broken and put to death. In the
      end, he rose, not as a resuscitated corpse, but as a new
      being. The human heart, in dying to itself, can also
      become a new creation.

      Although often cited as an example of Christ�s miraculous
      powers, the miracle most meaningful to us in today�s
      reading may not be the multiplication of the loaves and
      fishes, but rather the miracle that new life can be
      engendered by dying to self and serving others. Just as
      the physical limits of this world�s time and space were
      transcended by the breaking again and again of the loaves
      and fishes into a meal for four thousand, so the passage
      also contains an invitation to us to love and serve others,
      and so to break out of our shells and experience the
      miracle of transformation.

      Jesus, I place myself and my life in your hands today.
      Give me the trust, faith, and just plain guts to break
      out of myself in the service of others. Amen.

      Grace and peace,

      R. Adam DeBaugh and Kevin Stone Fries

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Website. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com