585Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Feb. 8, 2009

    Feb 7, 2009
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Feb. 8, 2009

      Power of praise

      "O Lord, you are my God; I will exalt you, I
      will praise your name; for you have done
      wonderful things, plans formed of old, faithful
      and sure. … For you have been a refuge to the
      poor, a refuge to the needy in their distress,
      a shelter from the rainstorm and a shade from
      the heat.
      Isaiah 25:1, 4a

      Spiritual empowerment can be experienced through
      moments of praise, as we weep with God and cry
      out for justice and assistance. Many ancient
      Biblical writers knew this. Isaiah gives us a
      word of hope when life is very difficult. He
      gives us words of praise and comfort and reminds
      us that God is God. God is worthy of praise.
      God is doing wonderful things. God has a plan
      for us. God is our refuge in moments of need.
      God cares. God is with us.

      Isaiah gives us some of the most beloved words
      of spiritual strength and comfort in the Hebrew
      Testament. Yet, his own people turned against
      him and the message God gave him to share.
      Church historians believe he may have been
      sawn in two as a result of his prophetic words.

      Sometimes following God is costly. Those who
      work for spiritual and social justice need
      Isaiah's strengthening insights as they too
      live their convictions. Perhaps this is why
      Theodore Roosevelt said, "Pray not for lighter
      burdens but for stronger backs."

      God, I will praise your name in the hard times
      of my life. Amen.