533Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 6, 2008

    Apr 6, 2008
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 6, 2008

      Temptation

      "Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the
      wilderness to be tempted by the devil."
      Matthew 4:1

      Who has not been tempted? Who has not struggled
      with the enticements of this world? Life is full
      of temptation and those who tempt. It is very easy
      to quote sacred writings to justify our longing to
      satisfy desires. Resisting temptation can be very
      difficult. Temptation takes many subtle and not so
      subtle forms. Sex, prestige, comfort, money, power,
      food, success, and a desire for fame are just a few
      things that often tempt us.

      Jesus was tempted throughout his life and ministry
      career. Let us linger in the story of Jesus' great
      temptation for the next few days (Matthew 4:1-11).
      Jesus has just been baptized in public consecration
      to God in the previous chapter. The Holy Spirit
      immediately leads him into a desert wasteland for
      a time of prayer, fasting, and meditation. Through
      these spiritual disciplines, he was able to discern
      his ministry and life priorities. Read scripture
      to learn what the Spirit says to you about these
      spiritual disciplines. Perhaps, like Jesus, you
      will better know your own ministry.

      We have much to learn about being led by the Spirit
      and going somewhere special to pray. When have you
      felt "led" to go somewhere for a special time of
      prayer and possibly fasting? One does not have to
      go to a desert to experience solitude for spiritual
      growth and moments of discernment. Perhaps it would
      be good to reflect today on what tempts us into areas
      harmful for our lives and loved ones.

      God, lead us by your Spirit into special moments for
      prayer today. As we linger with this story for the
      next few days, teach us about temptation, prayer,
      fasting, solitude, and scripture. Amen.

      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLivingAsTh
      eBeloved.htm

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com