485Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 3, 2007

    Jun 3, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 3, 2007

      **********

      Please see our new Sterling Silver pendants at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/silver_jewelry.html

      Many are healed

      "And when Jesus entered Peter's house, Jesus saw
      Peter's mother-in-law lying sick with a fever;
      he touched her hand, and the fever left her, and
      she rose and served him. That evening they brought
      to him many who were possessed with demons; and he
      cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all
      who were sick. This was to fulfill what was spoken
      by the prophet Isaiah, 'He took our infirmities and
      bore our diseases.'"
      Matthew 8:14-17

      Before becoming an ordained minister, I worked for
      sixteen years as a registered nurse in many
      emergency rooms and outpatient clinics full of
      waiting, sick people and their families. Often
      children would be crying. Some times some were
      unable to get a bathroom in time and were sitting
      in soiled clothing. Others struggled with
      schizophrenia and other psychiatric disorders.
      Feverish people would often be wet with perspiration
      and their skin would feel hot to the touch. Often
      they were exhausted and dehydrated by their raging
      fevers. I remember the smells and sights of sick,
      lame, abandoned, hopeless, and discouraged people.
      Many could only hope for a moment of relief. Cures
      were humanly impossible for those in advanced stages
      of terminal illness.

      I bring all these memories with me as I read these
      four verses and marvel at the images in my mind.
      Jesus understands illness. He took up our
      infirmities and carried our diseases. He is
      amazing. He understands our human sufferings.

      Perhaps our response to him should be similar to
      Peter's mother-in-law. In her gratitude, she began
      to humbly serve Jesus in the only way she knew how.
      She began to linger in his presence while delighting
      in his voice, touch, and companionship. She is a
      timeless model of servant leadership for us today.

      God, help us serve Jesus Christ with gratitude like
      that expressed by Peter's mother-in-law. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com