477Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 8, 2007

    Apr 7, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 8, 2007

      **********

      Happy Easter! Christ is Risen!
      Christ is Risen Indeed!

      **********

      Please see our new Sterling Silver pendants at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/silver_jewelry.html

      When the tempter comes

      "The tempter came and said to Jesus, 'If you are
      the Son of God, command these stones to become
      loaves of bread.'"
      Matthew 4:3

      Certainly all of us are tempted throughout life.
      The English word "temptation" comes from the Latin
      word temptare. It has two basic meanings. The first
      is to try or test. The second is to entice to evil.
      Jesus experienced both. He was tried and tested as
      well as enticed to do what was evil. He overcame the
      tempter, who is also known as the evil one. Jesus
      overcame his temptation, freeing himself to help those
      who are experiencing temptation.

      An anonymous New Testament author writes, "Because he
      himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to
      help those who are being tempted" (Hebrews 2:18 NIV).
      "Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has
      gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let
      us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do
      not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize
      with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been
      tempted in every way, just as we are, yet without
      sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with
      confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find
      grace to help us in our time of need" (Hebrews 4:15-
      16 NIV).

      I personally find it comforting to realize Jesus
      Christ has been tempted and understands my human
      weakness. I can approach him through prayer with
      great confidence in my most vulnerable moments.

      God, help us realize when the tempter is tempting
      us. Help us remember to pray and find grace to help
      us in our times of need. Amen.

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free twice
      Reflection, our weekly meditation, by sending blank

      And visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com