469Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 4, 2007

    Mar 3, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 4, 2007

      Blessed rest with Jesus

      Jesus said, "Come to me, all you that are weary and
      are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest."
      Matthew 11:28 (NRSV)

      Certainly Jesus understands our needs for rest. He
      invites all of us to enter his rest through some of
      the most cherished words in the Scriptures. A
      spiritually empowering meditation can be experienced
      through the ancient, cherished practice called "lectio
      divina." "Lectio," as it is more commonly called, is
      a simple form of holy reading. Sacred words are slowly
      read with pauses of silence. Read these words again
      and again until a word or phrase lingers in your heart.
      Simply breathe with it and let it become the prayer of
      your heart. "Come to me, all you that are weary and
      are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest"
      (Matthew 11:28, NRSV).

      Are you feeling tired today? Is there some inner
      burden that is exhausting you? Can you share that
      sense of burden with God? Consider writing down
      your feelings and whatever comes to mind in the
      silence. List your heavy loads and concerns. Ask
      God for rest and strength for the day.

      God, help us come into your blessed rest. Carry
      our burdens today. Amen.

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free twice
      Reflection, our weekly meditation, by sending blank

      And visit our new blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com