448Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 12, 2006

    Nov 11, 2006
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 12, 2006

      Priceless!

      "Blessed be the God and Parent of our Lord Jesus Christ!
      By God's great mercy we have been given a new birth into
      a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ
      from the dead, and into an inheritance that is
      imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven
      for you, who are being protected by the power of God
      through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in
      the last time. In this you rejoice, even if now for
      a little while you have had to suffer various trials,
      so that the genuineness of your faith, being more
      precious than gold that, though perishable, is tested
      by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory
      and honour when Jesus Christ is revealed. Although
      you have not seen Christ, you love him; and even though
      you do not see him now, you believe in him and rejoice
      with an indescribable and glorious joy."
      1 Peter 1:3-8

      Our faith is priceless. Our yearning for God takes
      many expressions in the world. Yet I am distinctly
      Christian and my most nourishing forms of food for my
      soul come through the Gospels and other New Testament
      writings. I marvel at the wonderful words of Jesus.
      For me, he is the light of the world, the bread of
      life, the truth, and the best way to God. I have
      never seen him yet I love him. I have found my faith
      in Christ sweeter than honey, more precious than gold
      and silver. It is priceless!

      Our spiritual yearnings can be satisfied with Christ's
      words. Chew, savor, enjoy, and linger with them through
      the banquet table of the Gospels. Reheat them, serve
      them in different ways. Meditate, reflect, imagine
      yourselves in the stories, and share them with your
      friends. There is something for everyone.

      Yet through the study and exposure of other religions
      and cultures, we quickly learn how similar we are in
      our yearning for sacred faith.

      Although I am distinctly Christian, I love participating
      in interfaith worship services and events. For years I
      have actively learned a great deal from the major world
      religions. They enhance my own spiritual expression and
      growth. When in the Orient, I respectfully visited many
      Shinto shrines and Buddhist temples. While in the
      Persian Gulf, I brought groups of sailors to several
      Moslem mosques. In other countries I have visited
      Hindu temples, Chinese roadside shrines, and many
      different Christian churches.

      One year I was invited to participate in an interfaith
      Pride service. For the service, I helped develop a
      creative call to worship with a group who used Tibetan
      singing bowls. Those wonderful bowls helped us pray
      and worship as Protestants, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists,
      Wiccans, and Catholics of all sexual orientations in
      unity and peace.

      Soul food comes in many different forms and shapes.
      I am deeply enriched by other faith traditions. They
      have much to offer me and help my inner growth.
      Likewise, they are enriched by my precious faith!
      We are on a spiritual journey together. We have
      different paths, but we all search for meaning and
      dignity in our lives. Respect is a holy word. We
      can live together in peace and unity. Cherish your
      faith. It will sustain you in times of need and
      bless others.

      Oh God, people from all walks of life search for you.
      We yearn for precious faith that offers us a living
      hope. As we celebrate our Christian faith, help us
      always respect other traditions. Teach us how to
      live together in peace. Amen.

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free twice
      Reflection, our weekly meditation, by sending blank