42Chi Rho Press eNewsletter, Vol. II, No. 1

    Jan 5, 2001
      Chi Rho Press eNewsletter
      Vol. II, No. 1

      Happy New Year! Welcome once again to the Chi Rho Press eNewsletter. Thank
      you for passing this eNewsletter on to others.

      To join our list, send an e-mail message to ChiRhoPress-subscribe@egroups.com.

      Direct all other e-mail to Adam@.... See the end of this
      eNewsletter for a complete list of e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. January White (Paper) SALE!
      2. Board Member Bio: Steve Barchers
      3. Featured Book: The Bible and Homosexuality

      1. January White (Paper) SALE!

      The Chi Rho Press Board of Directors has authorized a special sale in the
      month of January 2001. We are calling it our January White (Paper) SALE!

      For all paid orders received through snail mail and postmarked in January
      2001, we will pay the shipping and handling.

      We want to make a special gift to readers of this eNewsletter so rather than
      changing the Web page shopping cart, this sale is only for prepaid orders sent
      to us via snail mail.

      You can use our web page as your Chi Rho Press catalog. Just choose as many
      books, handouts, stained glass, or other products as you want from that you
      find on our Web page (http://www.ChiRhoPress.com). If you would prefer a
      printed copy of our catalog, just email us with your mailing address.

      Jot down a list of the items you want in a letter to us. Figure the cost of
      the items, and send a check or money order for that amount. Don't add
      shipping and handling, we will pick up the tab for that!

      Again, this is only for prepaid orders, sent to our mailing address (P.O. Box
      7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898), in the month of January 2001.

      Of course, if you prefer, you may still order on our Web page, using our
      convenient shopping cart and paying with your credit card, but shipping and
      handling will be included in your charges.

      We look forward to hearing from you!

      2. Board Member Bio: Steve Barchers

      We are continuing our series of biographies of people associated with Chi Rho
      Press. The second member of the board of directors to be featured is Mr.
      Steve Barchers.

      Steve Barchers has been an activist in the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and
      transgendered community for more than 10 years. He has served many
      organizations including Maryland's Free State Justice Campaign, the Gay &
      Lesbian Association of Silver Spring, Maryland (G.L.A.S.S.), Gay & Lesbian
      Interests Consortium (GLIC), and the Capital Area Log Cabin Club.

      Over the past couple of years, Steve has been working with Soulforce, Inc., an
      organization led by the Rev. Dr. Mel White. Steve worked with Soulforce at
      its Lynchburg 2000 dialogue with members of Jerry Falwell�s church, as well as its
      direct action in Washington, D.C. last November for the meeting of the
      National Council of Catholic Bishops.

      Also a scholar, Steve studied advanced hands-on non-violent civil disobedience
      in the manner of Mohandas Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. during the
      Soulforce University and Advanced Training in Non-Violent Civil Disobedience
      during a direct action at the United Methodist Church General Conference 2000
      in Cleveland, Ohio, May 5-12, 2000.

      Steve has years of sales, marketing, and public relations experience,
      including work as independent consultant with 7-Eleven, RID, Vitro, T.H.E., NNMC, NOAA,
      and Smith Company. Steve is a graduate of the University of Maryland's
      University College.

      In 1997, Steve moved to the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. He lives near
      Winchester, Virginia with his life partner. Steve Barchers has been a member
      of the Chi Rho Press Board of Directors since 1996.

      3. Featured Book: The Bible and Homosexuality

      Our first featured book of the new millennium takes us back to the basics.
      For too many lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered people of faith, the Bible
      has been used as a club to batter and beat them down.

      Only six lonely little verses that have been used against LGBT people.
      Despite the paucity of unequivocal condemnation in the Hebrew and Christian
      Testaments, religious folk use those six verses to justify a world of hurt for LGBT
      people, their families, and supporters. These �clobber passages� are over-used and
      abused!

      So for much of the LGBT community, �going back to the basics� of their
      oppression is going back to the Bible. The Rev. Michael England has written
      what we think is the best primer on �The Bible and Homosexuality.� We are
      proud to have published this slim, but important volume, which has been our
      best seller for 10 years. In 1998 we published the fifth edition of Michael�s
      important work.

      �The Bible and Homosexuality� is $10.95 each, $8.95 each for six or more
      copies, plus shipping and handling. You may order from our Web page at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products.html

      4. Adam's Last Word.

      Happy New Year! Not only do we start a new year, but also a new decade, a new
      century, and a new millennium! I hope 2001 will be an incredibly successful
      and gratifying year for you all.

      We here at Chi Rho Press are expecting great things in 2001.

      Our Editor/Office Manager Kevin Stone Fries is working hard at a number of
      tasks: increasing the reciprocal links on our Web page, adding subscribers to
      this eNews, contacting bookstores and churches about our publications,
      updating files, and filling the increasing number of orders we are getting through our
      Web page, by phone, by fax, and snail mail.

      Kevin is also spending time each day editing two of the books we expect to
      publish this year, �Lord Given Lovers: The Biblical Romance of David and
      Jonathan� by Christopher Hubble, and �Living as the Beloved: One Day at a
      Time,� a daily devotional by Dr. Sandy Bochonok.

      We continue to improve and add to our Web page. We are also working on the
      format and contents of this eNewsletter. And we are reaching out to more and
      more gay-friendly churches and bookstores.

      Our Board of Directors is a devoted group of people (biographies of whom you
      are reading this month in these screens) and they are committed to making Chi
      Rho Press a top-notch publishing house faithfully serving our community with
      the very best books and resources.

      We especially appreciate being partners in ministry with YOU! Thank you for
      your support! We couldn�t do it without you.

      We anticipate 2001 to be our very best year ever and we hope for your prayers
      and purchases. Have a very Happy New Year!

      We are glad you are partners in ministry with us here at Chi Rho Press. We
      are eager for your comments, your suggestions, your assistance with selling our
      books, and your own purchases! And of course, we covet your prayers for this
      ministry.

      If you've received our eNewsletter as a result of the good offices of someone
      passing it along to you (which we certainly encourage) and would like to
      receive it directly from us, please follow the directions at the end of our
      eNewsletter to subscribe.

      To order, please visit wwwChiRhoPress.com. You may pay by credit card on our
      web page or we will ship your order after receiving your check or money
      order. Include your e-mail address, mailing address, and telephone number please.

      If you have questions, please write to Question@.... For comments
      and suggestions about this eNewsletter, please write eNews@....
      For all other correspondence, please write Adam@....

      Our Canadian friends can order using credit cards on our web page or through
      our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, Box 340, 54
      Centre St., Odessa, ONT, Canada, K0H 2H0; e-mail: mapenterprises@...; phone or
      fax: 1-613-386-5711; or toll free (leave a message) 1-877-245-9569.

      Kevin Stone Fries, Editor/Office Manager, Kevin@....