362Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 3, 2005

    Jul 3, 2005
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 3, 2005

      Press, here is a selection from our new book
      of daily devotions, "Living as the Beloved:
      One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra
      Bochonok.

      Speaking against the Holy Spirit

      "Or how can one enter a strong man's house and plunder
      his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? Then
      indeed he may plunder his house. He who is not with
      me is against me, and he who does not gather with me
      scatters. Therefore I tell you, every sin and
      blasphemy will be forgiven you, but the blasphemy
      against the Spirit will not be forgiven. And whoever
      says a word against the Son of man will be forgiven;
      but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not
      be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."
      Matthew 12:29-32

      Ask many questions while reading sacred words. Our
      answers may be revealing and transforming. When I
      read these verses, I find myself wondering if I am
      with Jesus or against him. Am I serving him or
      serving myself? What is this unpardonable sin
      against the Holy Spirit? Do I have it in my own
      life? Could I be in spiritual danger? Other gospel
      writers mention this confusing sin (Mark 3:28-29;
      Luke 12:10), but what does it mean for my time in
      world history? Jesus spoke in the first century.
      Are these words still culturally relevant? I
      believe they are timeless. The challenge is to
      interpret them with cultural relevance for each
      generation.

      Have we ever spoken against the Holy Spirit of God?
      F. F. Bruce notes that literature abounds with stories
      about people who commit "the unpardonable sin." He
      suggests we read these passages with care. Matthew's
      Gospel seems to imply that unforgivable sin is to
      deliberately shut one's eyes to the light and to
      call good evil. But quite honestly, many Biblical
      scholars are in disagreement about what this
      actually means. If they are in disagreement, what
      hope do we have for understanding the message?

      Living without full understanding can actually create
      a healthy tension for growing moments of introspection
      and reflection. A helpful spiritual practice is when
      in doubt, stay with the passages or parts that are
      clearly understood. Revelation is progressive and
      some answers may not be fully understood this side
      of eternity.

      With this said, it is clear that we are to identify
      with Jesus while living on this earth. If our
      spiritual anchors are set deep in the foundation
      of Christ, clear answers will come in God's time
      and ways. We are all works of grace in progress.
      Be patient! God is not finished with us yet. I
      am confident that all who chose to identify with
      Jesus have nothing to worry about with this passage.

      God, I do not have all the answers I would like to
      have with these verses. But I clearly understand I
      am for Jesus. Help me live in such a way that this
      is clear. Forgive the sin in my life and help me
      not blaspheme against your Spirit. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find