242Chi Rho Connection, Vol. IV, No. 22

    Dec 4, 2003

      Vol. IV, No. 22

      1. Bochonok Book Nearing Completion
      2. The New "2004 Liturgical Calendar" is Out!
      3. Books Make Great Gifts!
      4. Sanctoral Cycle

      This Issue's Quotes:

      "You can safely assume that you have created God in
      your own image when it turns out that God hates all
      the same people you do."
      ~ Anne Lamott

      "The only queer people are those who don't love
      anybody."
      ~ Rita Mae Brown

      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and
      human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
      ~ Albert Einstein

      "To announce that there must be no criticism of the
      president, or that we are to stand by the president,
      right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
      but is morally treasonable to the American public."
      ~ Theodore Roosevelt

      "Music is the voice of God you can hear!"
      ~ Johann Sebastian Bach

      1. Bochonok Book Nearing Completion

      We will be announcing the prepublication sale of our
      next big book, "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a
      Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra L. Bochonok within a
      week.

      The editing is finished. Final layout galleys have
      been delivered to the author. Reviewers have the
      manuscript in hand for cover blurbs. Cover art is
      finished and the cover designed. Bids have been
      obtained from printers and a contract has been
      entered into with our winning print house. Final
      proofreading is in progress.

      This is very exciting for us at Chi Rho Press and
      we covet your prayers as we continue through this
      last phase of the publishing process. We will soon
      be putting the book up on the Web site for our
      pre-publication sale and will send out a special
      notice to our subscribers. We plan to list "Living
      as the Beloved" at $20.95 but the prepublication sale
      will be $16.95, a significant savings.

      Watch for our next mailing, which will be the
      announcement of the pre-publication sale of "Living
      as the Beloved!"

      2. The New "2004 Liturgical Calendar" is Out!

      The 2004 church year has officially started! Sunday
      was the first Sunday in Advent. But there is still
      time to purchase your copy of "A Liturgical Calendar
      and Lectionary, Year C, November 2003 through November
      2004," compiled by Dr. David Kerr Park. Spiral bound,
      8 ½" x 11", 84 pages. $10.95 each, six or more copies
      for $8.95 each, plus shipping and handling. Now
      available on our Web site at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Park2003.

      Our Liturgical Calendar is packed with useful information
      for planning worship and preaching in the local church
      for each Sunday and Holy Day of the Church Year. It
      is intended for use by pastors, musicians, altar guilds,
      teachers, theological students, and anyone using the
      Church Year as a basis for worship or education. The
      Liturgical Calendar is spiral bound so it can lie flat
      for easy use, in a new, larger 8 ½" x 11" format.

      Order your copy of the 2004 Liturgical Calendar today!
      See it on our Web site at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Park2003

      $10.95 each, six or more copies for $8.95 each.

      3. Books Make Great Gifts!

      What if we could point you to a store which is open
      24 hours a day, seven days a week; where you can shop
      in your pajamas if you want; where you can buy books,
      stained glass, and even stocking stuffers; and where
      shipping is free for orders over $100! Of course, we
      are talking about our own Web page,
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      Books make great gifts! Titles such as "Steps to
      Recovery from Bible Abuse," "The Bible and Homosexuality,"
      "Come Home!," "Called OUT!," "Positively Gay, " "My
      Memory Book," the new "2004 Liturgical Calendar and
      Lectionary," "The Children are Free," "The Road to
      Emmaus," and "Together in Love" are all available and
      ready to ship. Plus we have a video tape, an audio
      tape, five different stained glass designs, rainbow
      key chains and bracelets, and more!

      *****

      We have designed gift certificates that can be made out
      for any amount you care to give.

      The gift certificates are not available on our Web site,
      so send your check with a note indicating that you are
      buying a Gift Certificate and we will make up an
      attractive Gift Certificate for the amount of your
      check for you to give along with a copy of our catalog.

      Chi Rho Press Gift Certificates make excellent gifts!
      Order some today at Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,

      Come shop at Chi Rho Press!

      5. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional and modern saints and
      various holy days and holidays listed in the 2003
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      *****

      Mon. Dec. 1, World AIDS Day. Since 1988 this day has
      been a time for remembering those who have died and for
      renewing our commitment to support those living with
      HIV throughout the world. The red ribbon, which began
      as a "grass roots" effort, has become an international
      symbol of AIDS awareness.

      Wed. Dec. 3, St. Francis Xavier (1505-1552). Jesuit
      missionary to Japan. One of the founding members of
      the Society of Jesus, Francis left his studies at
      the University of Paris for an eleven-year journey
      from which he never returned. He preached first in
      India, where he was frustrated at the immorality and
      greed of the European colonists. His travels then
      led him to Japan. He respected the Japanese culture
      and sought ways of connecting Japanese culture and
      virtues with the Gospel message. He died at the age
      of 46 while traveling to China.

      Tues. Dec. 9, St. Juan Diego (16th century). Witness
      to Our Lady of Guadalupe. Only 10 years after the
      conquest of Mexico, Juan Diego, a humble Christian
      Native American, experienced a series of visions
      which marked the birth of Hispanic peoples in the
      Americas. Mary appeared with dark skin and Indian
      features, surrounded by symbols of Indian religion
      and culture. She spoke to him in his native Nahuatl,
      not Spanish. The message to the church was clear:
      it must not serve as the agent of colonial oppression,
      but be rooted in the experience of the people. Within
      six years nine million Aztecs were baptized.

      Wed. Dec. 10, Thomas Merton (1915-1968). Trappist
      monk. An American priest whose writings are among
      the greatest spiritual works of our time, Merton
      initially turned his back on the world by seeking
      solitude at the Abbey of Gethsemane in Kentucky.
      In time he came to understand a deep solidarity with
      humanity and concern for issues of peace and justice.
      He also had a strong interest in Eastern spirituality,
      especially Zen Buddhism, from which he learned that
      the path to God is found in experience, not analysis.

      Wed. Dec. 10, International Human Rights Day. On this
      day in 1948 the United Nations adopted the Universal
      Declaration of Human Rights, which aimed at securing
      basic human rights for people of all nations.

      Fri. Dec. 12, Sister Alicia Domon (d. 1977). French
      nun and martyr. During a period of military
      dictatorship in Argentina thousands of civilians were
      abducted and never heard from again, including several
      French nuns who had devoted themselves to working with
      the poor and oppressed. Sister Alicia became closely
      involved with the Mothers of the Disappeared, who
      dressed in black and gathered in silence in the central
      plaza each day, carrying pictures of their children.
      Along with several others, Alicia was abducted and, as
      later reports revealed, tossed out of an airplane over
      the Atlantic Ocean.

      Fri. Dec. 12, Our Lady of Guadalupe (Mexico). Patron
      of Mexico (see story of Juan Diego, Dec. 9).

      Wed. Dec. 17, Dom Bede Griffiths (1906-1994) Monk
      and Sannyasi. Raised in a middle-class English family
      and student of C. S. Lewis at Oxford, Griffiths'
      spiritual journey led him first to the Catholic faith
      and the life of a Benedictine monk. While sent to
      establish a monastery in India, he came to believe
      that the secularized West had much to learn from the
      East. He helped found a Christian ashram that was
      faithful to Christian traditions, but adopted the
      disciplines of the East, including yoga and meditation.
      He dressed in the saffron robes and lived as a sannyasi,
      or Hindu holy man. His liturgies combined Christian
      and Hindu prayers and readings. He believed he could
      find the truth of Christ present within all the religions
      of the world.

      *****

      Order the new 2004 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      complete with the entire year's Sanctoral Cycle, at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/devotionals.html#Park2003

      Christmas is just three weeks away! We continue to
      highlight things which we think will make
      great Christmas gifts: stained glass, rainbow key
      chains and bracelets, and, of course, books.
      Remember, you can do ALL your holiday shopping right
      on www.ChiRhoPress.com, pay using your credit card,
      and never leave the warm light of your computer!

      Give the gifts of knowledge and inspiration for the
      holidays this year. Give a book from Chi Rho Press.

      *****

      We are very busy and very excited about the imminent
      publication of "Living as the Beloved: One Day at a
      Time," by Sandra Bochonok. This is a lovely book of
      daily devotions written by the founder and director
      of SoulFood Ministry (www.soulfoodministry.org) and
      we know you are going to love the book as much as we
      do. Watch for the announcement of our pre-publication
      sale soon!

      *****

      I continue to pray that this Advent season is filled
      with every good thing for you all, and that it never
      gets too busy that you can not stop and reflect on
      the reason for the season, the Christ Child, born in
      humble circumstances, "God in a diaper."

      God bless you all.

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page or
      through our Canadian distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary
      Ann Pearson, at her Web page, http://www.christiangays.com