217Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 3, 2003

    Aug 2 9:39 PM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 3, 2003

      is a meditation from "The Road to Emmaus," a book of
      of faith. These reflections start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Philip
      E. Carolan.

      Please read Mark 7:1-23

      The innermost part of each of us, the heart, is pure
      love, the very essence of God. Ideally, we reveal God
      to the world by words and deeds which flow from this
      divine center. However, when our hearts become
      overgrown with impurities, "evil thoughts, fornication,
      theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit,
      licentiousness, envy, slander, pride, foolishness," we
      end up reflecting those impurities rather than the
      love of God to the world.

      In order to purify and recenter us as a people and as
      individuals, God sent Jesus, the Christ, to dwell in
      our hearts. Christ begins by cleansing our hearts of
      the impurities so that the love of God can shine
      through us to the world. With Christ in our hearts
      we can grow to love with the love of Christ.

      As Jesus loved the tax collector, the thief, the
      prostitute, the disciple who denied him, the disciple
      who betrayed him, the leper, the children, the poor,
      and all others, so he showed me how to love the
      co-worker who wronged me, the friend who was false,
      the lover who rejected me, the one who hurt me, the
      one who needs me, the one who used me, the street
      person who confronts me. It isn't always easy to
      love, but Christ in my heart makes it always possible.

      Come, O Lord, into my heart and cleanse it of all
      impurities. Empower me to see you in others and to
      love and serve God by loving and serving them. Let
      me be a true manifestation and reflection of your
      love to all those whom I encounter today and every
      day.

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,