184Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 2, 2003

    Mar 2, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 2, 2003

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by the
      Rev. Carolyn 'Dusty' Pruitt.

      Please read John 8:21-32

      Radical Obedience

      I remember the following conversation recurring often
      when I was a child and my mother would tell me what to
      do,

      'Why, mom?' I would ask plaintively.

      'Just because,' she would answer.

      'Just because why?' I would persist.

      'Just because I say so,' she would finally answer,
      exasperated.

      She would eventually explain the real reason, but I
      still remember the frustration of being required by
      my parents, who were in authority, to do something
      I didn't want to do.

      Many of us, I suspect, react the same way to God
      because of such experiences with our parents. But
      if we take our example from Jesus, who declared that
      he did nothing on his own authority but always did
      what was pleasing to God, we find an example of
      radical obedience worthy of our imitation.

      Radical obedience is attempting to align ourselves
      with the will of God so completely that we become one
      with God through Jesus. It often brings us into
      conflict with our culture, even as it did for Jesus
      with his culture, conflict with what we have been
      taught, with the attitudes others may have about our
      conduct, and even with temporal authorities. But
      radical obedience brings its own reward. As Jesus
      says in today's reading, 'If you continue in my word,
      you are truly my disciples, and you will know the
      truth, and the truth will make you free.'

      Dear Jesus, help me to know your will for me today,
      and give me the strength to carry it out so that I
      may be one with you as you are one with God.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,