177Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 2, 2003

    Feb 2, 2003
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 2, 2003

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by the late
      Rev. Larry J. Uhrig and is reprinted here in his memory.

      Please read Luke 2:22-40

      The Feast of the Presentation

      'Lord, now let your servant depart in peace.'

      The song of Simeon begins with a profound truth, seeing
      Christ is enough. Simeon saw his heart's desire, the
      promised deliverance of his people. He could now accept
      death, for having seen the Lord, his life was now complete.

      Simeon's truth is the same truth offered to all people
      of faith. In Christ Jesus everything is complete and
      finished. There is no need to look further for a more
      definitive revelation. Sometimes persons who have
      inhabited the household of Christian faith depart to
      explore and embrace the occult or popular trends in
      spirituality. Sometimes people abandon Christ for
      another 'revelation' without fully exploring the depth
      of Christ's treasures and riches.

      Like Simeon, it is possible for us to find in Christ
      all we need to fulfill our lives. Once we have found
      Christ there can be a sweet completion to our spiritual
      journey. Not a completion that is an ending, but one
      that is a fulfillment of the truth. At that point we
      begin to explore the depth of Christ and find the
      fullness of God's Word to us. Instead of a futile
      searching for meaning and purpose, we can now rest
      by the living water, drink deep, and grow to maturity.

      I bid you come to this eternal refreshment place. We
      can live the rest of our days, be they few or many,
      with all we need. With the psalmist we can say, 'I
      shall not want . . . God restores my soul. . . .'
      (Psalm 23:1, 3).

      My God, come to me. I want know the sense of
      fulfillment Simeon knew. I want the peace you
      promised. Come now to your servant. I want
      for you.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,
      Gaithersburg, MD 20898.