159Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 3, 2002

    Nov 3 4:04 PM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 3, 2002

      is a meditation from 'The Road to Emmaus,' a book of
      of faith. These meditations start with a Gospel reading
      and a meditation based on it written this week by Joseph
      W. Houle.

      Please read Matthew 13:24-30

      The servants replied to the householder, 'Then do you
      want us to go and gather [the weeds?]' But the
      householder said, 'No. . . . '

      'Jesus, I love the church, but there's just one

      'And what is that problem?'

      Without hesitation I reply, 'Some people in the church
      are unbearable! They bicker, criticize, judge, and
      gossip. They inject negative energy wherever they get
      involved. Jesus, if the church were a wheat field,
      these people would be weeds!'

      Jesus responds tersely, 'Nice analogy, moreover, you're
      right. This is a problem in the church.'

      'Well then,' I add impatiently, 'why do we put up with
      these people? Let's get rid of them! After all, a
      cardinal rule of agriculture is to stay ahead of the

      'No; let them stay,' Jesus says calmly. 'It is not up
      to you to pull out the weeds. That is my prerogative.'

      'If that's the case, Jesus,' I answer impulsively,
      'you're going to have a very messy reign on this earth!'

      'You're quite right; the church will always be a mixed
      bag, but its task is not therefore to engage in purges
      and inquisitions,' Jesus' eyes grow bright with
      intensity as he continues: 'We must not reject the
      unlovely and the unlovable, but rather let us love
      them to wholeness. For it is not God's will that one
      single soul should be lost to evil.'

      A strange peace settles on me at these words, as if
      somehow what Christ is suggesting I do for others has
      just been done for me. In one sense nothing has
      changed, judgmental people, gossips, and nit-pickers
      will always be in the church. Yet in another sense
      everything has changed, for thanks to this conversation
      with Jesus, I am learning not to be one of the them.

      Visit the Chi Rho Press Web site. You can order using our
      convenient shopping cart and pay on line using your credit
      card! http://www.ChiRhoPress.com

      order for $12.45 for one copy to Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,
      Gaithersburg, MD 20898.