In the name of the Almighty

  • Linn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2004
      Hallo Hallo
      Its 4/june.  Nothing much is new here,
      I can wait to fly,
      I am alive

      Quite frequently we fear that which we do not understand.
      If it is different to that which our culture and society has taught us to believe as being "right"
      then we  define it as 'wrong' or bad.
      That which is 'different'  can bring change to our way of life if we would just open our minds to the 'good' held within another belief.
      We can begin to grow as human beings when we accept all religions as being the other person's path to spirituality.
      We need not be governed by the methods of fear introduced by those who had the need to control us.
      If we understand that all people are 'good' and have come - like us -
      to have an experience on this earthly plane,
      then we can accommodate all aspects of their pattern of practising their belief system.
      We need not be controlled by others thought patterns.
      We can be as we are meant to be!
      it is simply choice - let go of the fear based control
      love thy neighbour as thyself
      and enjoy the teachings of their truth
      in love and peace.
      If we all held this thought
      then there would be no war
      no arguments or dissent
      for we are as one
      within One

      People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered;
      Forgive them anyway.

      If you are kind, people may accuse you
      of selfish, ulterior motives;
      Be kind anyway.

      If you are successful, you will win some false friends
      and some true enemies;
      Succeed anyway.

      If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
      Be honest and frank anyway.

      What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
      Build anyway.

      If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
      Be happy anyway.

      The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
      Do good anyway.

      Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough.
      Give the world the best you've got anyway.

      You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God;
      It was never between you and them anyway.

      "I know my memory's fading. I actually kept my mammogram appointment. I chose a seat next to a man and his wife in the waiting room. Both the chairs and conversations were so comfortable that before long I'd totally forgotten why I was there and asked the man. "So...what are you here for?"

      Talk about a showstopper.

      Dead silence just as "Nurse Ratchet" announced my name in her best baritone voice. I thought, "Great.....a name to match the idiot." I rushed past the giggles and hurried after the angel of no mercy. Rounding the corner, I was met with, "Hi ! I'm Belinda!" This perky clipboard carrier smiled from ear to ear, tilted her head to one side and crooned, "All I need you to do is step into this room right here, strip to the waist, then slip on this gown. Everything clear?"

      I'm thinking, "Belinda...try decaf. This ain't rocket science."

      Belinda skipped away to prepare the chamber of horrors.

      Call me crazy, but I suspect a man invented this machine. It takes a perfectly healthy cup size of 36-B to a size 38-LONG in less than 60 seconds Also, girls aren't made of sugar and spice and everything nice...it's Spandex. We can be stretched, pulled and twisted over a cold 4-inch piece of square glass and still pop back into shape.

      With the right side finished, Belinda flipped me (literally) to the left and said, "Hmmmm. Can you stand on your tippy toes and lean in a tad so we can get everything?" Fine, I answered. I was freezing, bruised, and out of air, so why not use the remaining circulation in my legs and neck and finish me off?

      My body was in a holding pattern that defied gravity when we heard, then felt, zap! Complete darkness. "What?" I yelled.

      "Oh, maintenance is working. Bet they hit a snag." Belinda headed for the door.

      "Excuse me! You're not leaving are you?" I shouted.

      Belinda kept going and said, "Oh, you fussy puppy....the door's wide open so you'll have the emergency hall lights. I'll be right back."

      Before I could shout "NO" she disappeared.

      And that's exactly how Bubba and Earl, maintenance men extraordinaire, found me, half-naked and parts of me dangling from the Jaws of Life. After exchanging polite "Hi, how's it going" type greetings, Bubba (or possibly Earl) asked, to my utter disbelief, if I knew the power was off. Trying to disguise my hysteria, I replied with as much calmness as possible. "Uh, yes. .yes we did, thanks."

      "You bet, take care" Bubba replied and waved good-bye as thought we'd been standing in the line at the grocery store.

      Two hours later, Belinda breezes in wearing a sheepish grin and making no attempt to suppress her amusement, she said. "Oh I am soooo sorry! The power came back on and I totally forgot about you! And silly me, I went to lunch. Are we upset?"

      And that, Your Honor, is exactly how her head ended up between the clamps.

       PS: Seriously Ladies and Gentlemen, when was the last time you had a mammogram??? Remember: Early detection is one of the best  medicines!

      Most of us have a 3-day weekend
      to celebrate Memorial Day, to
      remember the ones who fought to
       give us the freedom that we hold
      dear in our hearts here in America.
      My prayer is that we all
      will remember this:

      They paid the Ultimate price for
      our freedom. Some paid with
      their lives and some of their
      sacrifices were with them or
      will be with them their whole
      lives. With out this price
       being paid, the freedom that we
       all hold dear in our hearts
       wouldn't be.

      As we are at the park, camping,
      swimming, or even in our back
      yards celebrating, stop and
      remember that this wouldn't
       have been possible if they
      had not fought for our freedom.

      Did you know that an eagle knows when a storm is approaching long before it breaks? The eagle will fly to some high spot and wait for the winds to come. When the storm hits, it sets its wings so that the wind will pick it up and lift it above the storm. While the storm rages, below the eagle is soaring above it. The eagle does not escape the storm. It simply uses the storm to lift it higher. It rises on the winds that bring the storm.

      When the storms of life come upon us...and all of us will experience them...we can rise above them by setting our minds and our belief toward God.

      The storms do not have to overcome us. We can allow God’s power to lift us above them. God enables us to ride the winds of the storm that bring sickness, tragedy, failure, and disappointment into our lives. We can soar above the storm. Remember, it is not the burdens of life that weigh us down, it is how we handle them. The Bible says, “Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on the wings like eagles.” Isaiah 40:31.

      ~author unknown

      An airplane was about to crash; there were 5 passengers on board but  only 4 parachutes.

      The first passenger, said "I'm Shaq O'neil, The best NBA Basketball player, the Lakers need me, I can't afford to die." So he took the first pack  and left the plane.

      The second passenger, Hillary Clinton, said, "I am the wife of the former president of the United States, I am the most ambitious woman in the world, I am also a New York Senator and a potential future president."  She just took the second parachute and jumped out of the plane.

      The third passenger, George W Bush, said, "I'm President of the United  States of America, I have a great responsibility being the leader of a  superpower nation. And above all I'm the cleverest president in American history, so America's people won't let me die". So he put on the pack next to him and jumped out of the plane.

      The fourth passenger, The Pope, says to the fifth passenger, a 10 yea r-old school boy, "I am old and frail and I don't have many years left, as a Christian I will sacrifice my life and let you have the last parachute".

      The boy said, "It's OK, there's a parachute left for you. America's cleverest president has taken my school backpack."

      My soul yearns for those who
      still believe in life's truths
      of honesty
      of sincerity
      of compassion
      and of true friendship.
      But most of all
      I long to know whose few people
      who really know what love is
      and how to be a loving person.
      I long for a place where people can
      get together and talk to one another
      about the things that matter,
      like being friends and caring about
      the dreams that we all believe in.
      I long for a time when
      friendship and love are important
      and the best part of our lives...

      -Author Unknown

      Change with the Light.
    • Linn
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 17, 2004
        Dear friends .
        Be happy & make the others happy , then the almighty will make you happy.

        Finish Like a Tiger

        A new baseball season is upon us, and it’s likely that by now we have an idea of who the top teams and the struggling teams are for 2004.

        But let’s think back to last year when everyone knew who the saddest team in baseball was—the Detroit Tigers.

        If you remember the end of the 2003 regular season, though, you might recall seeing some photos of players in Tigers uniforms smiling and laughing. And you may have wondered, “What are these guys so happy about?”

        After all, they had just completed a season in which they lost 119 games. It takes the Yankees almost two seasons to lose that many.

        Yet the Tigers were smiling—smiling because they won five of their last six games, smiling because they didn’t set a new major league record of 120 losses, and maybe even smiling because it was all over for 2003.

        Mostly, though, they were smiling because they had finished strong. Their happiness in spite of a horrendous season shows that no matter how poorly we start out, there is value in coming to the finish line with all the strength we can muster.

        That’s even more true in life than it is in baseball.

        Let’s say you have more losses in life than the Detroit Tigers. You keep trying to defeat a problem, but it keeps shutting you down. You struggle with anger and you can’t seem to keep it under control. Or you keep losing to an addiction. You should never let a past losing streak stop you from going for the big win. If you persevere, with God’s help and the Holy Spirit’s continual guidance you can find yourself celebrating a strong finish.

        No matter how bad things have been, if we keep our eyes on Jesus and keep our hearts under the Spirit’s control, we can finish like a Tiger. —Dave Branon

        Do not live a day in a homeland's memory

        Each time you pack up your things to travel
        All the little stars flutter in you
        All the bridge's lamps return you
        All the house's eyes
        The stubborn date palms return you
        Their nascent clusters have landed
        And the last squadrons are startled in my heart
        And they shout: don't leave
        You are a poet, You are he
        Who gathers people's tears
        In the dawn of registers
        You are a witness
        Live here between the twin rivers and persist
        Live here and strew the years of sufferance
        In the embers of the braziers
        You weep every time a bullet hurts Baghdad
        Every time the river's water returns a drowned babe
        The voice of death's colour in its eyes wounds you
        Leaves from the bushes' top falling
        On the migrant's crown
        And the green boughs almost
        Grasping the garments
        And the bitter orange
        Throwing fragrance and questions in the way
        Why do you pack the bags today
        If you leave the door will weep
        And the virgin footbridge
        And your eye tired mother will weep
        And the wind shall fling her weeping lock
        Upon the neighbours Live here forever
        And reproach whoever you wish to reproach

        Who do you think will house you, who?
        Who do you think will bring you close?
        If the bird of songs cries in your ribs
        who will give you a hand's width of sympathy?
        Do not live a day in a homeland's memory
        you are this wind, this cloud, this water
        you this remaining mountain across the ages
        Do no live a day in a homeland's memory.

        An elderly carpenter was ready to retire. He told

        his employer-contractor of his plans to leave the

        house-building business and live a more leisurely

        life with his wife enjoying his extended family.

        He would miss the paycheck, but he needed to

        retire. They could get by. The contractor was

        sorry to see his good worker go and asked if he

        could build just one more house as a personal

        The carpenter said yes, but in time it was easy to

        see that his heart was not in his work. He resorted

        to shoddy workmanship and used inferior materials.

        It was an unfortunate way to end a dedicated career.

        When the carpenter finished his work the employer

        came to inspect the house. He handed the front-door

        key to the carpenter. "This is your house," he said,

        "my gift to you."

        The carpenter was shocked! What a shame! If he

        had only known he was building his own house, he

        would have done it all so differently.

        So it is with us. We build our lives, a day at a time,

        often putting less than our best into the building.

        Then with a shock we realize we have to live in the

        house we have built. If we could do it over, we'd

        do it much differently. But we cannot go back.

        You are the carpenter. Each day you hammer a

        nail, place a board, or erect a wall. "Life is a

        do-it-yourself project," someone has said. Your

        attitudes and the choices you make today, build

        the "house" you live in tomorrow

        Be Careful
          by: Unknown
        Be careful of your thoughts
        for your thoughts become your word.
        Be careful of your words
        for your words become your actions.
        Be careful of your actions
        for your actions become your habits.
        Be careful of your habits
        for your habits become your character.
        Be careful of your character
        for your character becomes your destiny

        Authenticity: Key to Transformation
        By John Amodeo

        Should I change myself -or accept myself as I am? Although self-change and self-acceptance appear to be in opposition, they're two essential sides of the same coin of self-transformation.

        When people come to my office for therapy, they usually want to change themselves -- or reshape their partner. Being unhappy with how things are, they're eager -- if not desperate -- to implement changes. But little do they realize that the key to creative change doesn't lie in our usual efforts to fix ourselves, poke at ourselves, or push ourselves. Just the opposite. The key to real and lasting change lies in the paradoxical art of accepting ourselves as we currently are.

        The terms "self-acceptance" and "being ourselves" are thrown around loosely. Sometimes we use that expression to justify abusive behaviour: "I'm just being myself!" Or, "Don't try to change me!" Sadly, what we're often really saying is, "I want to stay stuck in my rigid defences, fixed opinions, and self-righteous behaviours. I don't want to show you what's really going on inside me." Even sadder, we may not allow ourselves to see what's really happening in our depths, perhaps fearful of what we might find.

        Being ourselves really means being authentic. And authenticity requires that we connect with the ever-deeper layers of our felt-experience. As we become willing to courageously uncover what's happening in our depths, we become less split inside. We heal the conflict between who we actually are and who we're trying to be. As we relinquish our self-image of who we think we should be, we discover -- finally -- the vibrant world of who we actually are.

        Tragically, society trains us to avoid certain feelings. Boys are taught that being a man means being tough (not wimpy), which translates as "don't cry or show hurt." Women are taught that showing anger means you're a bitch, so "be nice." As a result, we feel fear or shame when feelings arise that we believe will be objectionable. We try to shape and peddle an image that we hope will gain acceptance and love, rather than rejection or disdain. This core human longing for love and belonging leads us to achieve what Fritz Perls calls "self-image actualisation" as opposed to self-actualisation.

        The inner split between our authentic self and manufactured self creates a quiet war in ourselves. As we distance from genuine feelings and wants, we betray essential aspects of ourselves. As a result, we remain distant from others. The refusal to show the tender and vulnerable parts of ourselves keeps us isolated, hidden, and alone. Yet, we remain unaware of our own pivotal role in pushing people away by betraying our authentic self. By not embracing and exposing who we really are -- our tenderness, our fears, our strengths, our limits -- we live armoured in defences.

        The flip side of judging ourselves is that we subtly condemn others with our judgments, hostility, and accusations. We use anger to hide our fear and shame. Or, we withdraw into a world of silent judgments toward people, perhaps believing we're superior.

        Those of us who are spiritually inclined are also susceptible to this trap of self-betrayal. The effort to maintain an image of serenity and feeling good may lead to an avoidance of "messy" emotions and conflicts. As a sad result, we may never learn how to engage in a deep and sober sharing of core feelings, wants, and longings. Relationships remain unaccountably shallow as a result of not finding the courage and wisdom to expose our vulnerable depths.

        The key to transforming both ourselves and our relationships is to learn what it means to accept and embrace ourselves just as we are. Spiritual teacher J. Krishnamurti made the profound observation that, "If you begin to understand what you are without trying to change it, then what you are undergoes a transformation." Psychologist Carl Rogers drew the same conclusion through psychological observation: "The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change."

        Welcoming the whole of who we are leads to a spirituality of embodiment, rather than a futile, perfectionistic struggle to transcend where we are right now. Within a context of warm self-acceptance, we're no longer battling ourselves. By creating a friendly space for what we ordinarily push away, we reclaim disowned parts of ourselves. Transformation ensues from allowing and embracing what we normally avoid and deny. As a result, we become more whole, more complete, and more contactable. We find an inner peace and calm aliveness that becomes self-communicating. Intimacy with others deepens as we become more intimately acquainted with ourselves.

        We need to find paths that bring awareness to the full range of our humanness. I've found Eugene Gendlin's Focusing approach to be particularly useful. Certain forms of meditation, such as Vipassana, also bring awareness to present experience as it actually is, rather than how we'd like it to be. Psychotherapy can also provide a safe and supportive place to discover and welcome our authentic self.

        Many of us are attracted to dramatic, exotic paths that promise transformation. We may have out-of-body experiences and taste the ecstasy of Tantric merging, but can we be emotionally honest and forthcoming with our partner? Can we communicate with clarity, kindness, and respect -- even when we don't get what we want?

        Oftentimes, the most profound paths are the simplest. Does our personal growth practice enable us to extend warmth toward people and be empathically present for their joys and sorrows? Can we look with kind eyes upon the grocery clerk, and speak gently, although assertively, to the phone solicitor struggling to make a living? The fruits of personal and spiritual transformation show up in these ordinary, everyday extensions of our heart.

        John Amodeo, Ph.D., MFCC (#MFC14453), is the author of Love & Betrayal and co-author of Being Intimate. He has over twenty years experience as a psychotherapist, with offices in San Francisco, Marin, and Sonoma County. He has been a frequent media guest, including CNN and The Donahue Show. For more information call (707) 829-8948 or (415) 681-1030.

        by Mary Lou Randour (used with permission)

        Many wise people have used a great diversity of stories and words to describe spirituality. When we get down to the essence of spirituality, however, it is simply about love. As Martin Buber wrote, “If you wish to believe, love!” If you wish to believe, to develop spiritually, to expand your consciousness, you need to love: fully, completely, unabashedly, joyfully.

                    Animals are experts on love. In the last twenty years, thanks to researchers like Jane Goodall, Roger Fouts, and Jeffrey Masson, we have learned more about animals — both those who live free and those with whom we share our lives — and their ability to love. One young chimp that Jane Goodall studied loved his mother so much that after she died he wasted away, eventually dying of grief. Ally, another young chimp, would have died after his separation from his human mother, the only mother he had known, if it were not for the intervention of Roger Fouts and his assistant, Bill Chown. After Ally’s human mother decided she could no longer look after him, she left him with a small colony of chimpanzees under the care and study of Roger and Deborah Fouts and their graduate students. After the separation, Ally became despondent, pulling his hair out and losing the use of his right arm from hysterical paralysis. Fouts and Chown, fearing for Ally’s life, carried him close to their chests wherever they went. They did this every waking minute, day after day; Ally was never alone. After two months of such loving care, Ally emerged from his depression and came back to life.

                    Chimps, of course, are not the only animals capable of exceptional demonstrations of love. Masson describes an account of a group of elephants who lovingly and successfully rescued a young rhino caught in the mud, despite the attacks of nearby adult rhinos, who feared the elephants were trying to harm the youngster.

                    And every day, we directly experience the love of the animals with whom we share our lives — love without reservation, judgment, or expectation. The animals by our side don’t care what we look like, how successful we are, whether we are fat or thin, rich or poor. They simply love us. We benefit from their attention and enjoy their unconditional love, a love that never doubts our motives, neither wavering nor withdrawing.

                    Adult humans, on the other hand, complicate love. We tend to love ambivalently. Our love comes mixed with other emotions: lack of trust, fear of loss of control, hesitancy to expose our vulnerability, doubt, and a resistance to relinquishing our own self-interest. Animals can teach us about love, about becoming vulnerable, and about leaving doubt behind.

                    Love has many aspects; the capacity to trust is one of them. The lessons animals teach us about trust are not abstract or symbolic but concrete and dramatic. A neighbor and friend of mine, Judy Johnson, once told me about an experience she had at Harper’s Ferry, West Virginia, immediately after a hurricane. She and a small group of people stood on a bridge marveling at the frightening power of the swollen, surging Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers below.

                    A young woman with her golden retriever stood on the bank of one of the rivers near the bridge. Unthinkingly, she picked up a stick and threw it into the water for her dog to fetch. The dog swam for the stick, but quickly became overwhelmed by the surging current. Everybody looked on in horror as the dog was swept away. The current thrust him against a large boulder, to which he clung desperately. At first, the onlookers breathed a sigh of relief when they saw the dog reach the rock. But his reprieve from danger was short-lived.

                    The currents continued to push against the dog. He would lose his grip, struggle, and barely find another part of the rock to grasp. The young woman frantically called for him to swim toward her. He would try, but it was physically impossible to swim against the current. The swift movement of the river would carry him back to where he had started, clinging to the rock for safety. Everybody could see the dog growing weaker.

                    Looking around, Judy noticed the currents of the rivers met at a point downstream. She yelled to the young woman to run across the bridge to the other side of the river, to stand at the convergence and call her dog. She ran to the point, which stood behind her dog, and called to him. The dog looked over his shoulder as he heard her call. Without hesitation, he let go of the rock, and as he did, the current swept him to safety, where he was reunited with his human companion.

                    Could any of us trust as that dog did? It is certainly one of my spiritual aspirations. The golden retriever’s trust for his companion came from the ability of dogs to love without hesitation or doubt. Love allowed the golden retriever to let go.

                    Many spiritual practices aim at helping practitioners to let go. To advance spiritually, we need to relinquish control, to move beyond our ego. We need to realize that there are no guarantees in life and no material permanence. Until we let go, our vision of the vast web of creation is obscured — by fear, desire, and any number of emotions separating us from the unity of existence.

                    Michael, a man who acknowledges that he has difficulty accepting loss, received inspiration from his dog, Daisy. Michael was aware that in his relationships he erected barriers between himself and other people, barriers meant to protect him from loss. He had learned the lesson that if one loves, eventually one will also suffer loss. No one can guarantee that a relationship will survive until death; and even if it does, we still die. Michael sensed he was holding back, and his partner sensed it, too. He was unsatisfied with the limitations he put on his love, yet he couldn’t overcome his fear of loss. That is until Daisy, with her devoted, unwavering, boundless love for Michael, taught him how to love. Daisy’s love pierced the barriers Michael had erected. He was able to learn to love without defending himself. Knowing that dogs live, depending on their size and other factors, from ten to fifteen years, Michael was constantly aware that one day Daisy would die. The fear aroused by this knowledge, however, withered in the face of Daisy’s love. In time, Michael brought the open-hearted love that Daisy had taught him to his other relationships — with his wife, mother, and close friends.

                    Not only can animals teach us about trust, they also can teach us to transcend our self-interest. Bud, a cat, an exemplar of such selflessness, had an event-filled life. As a young kitten, Bud was rescued by Judy Johnson and her daughter, Samantha. Bud needed rescuing. He was flea-ridden, weak, and sick. As he grew stronger and began to thrive, Judy noticed that of all her cats Bud appeared to be the most attached to his home. He loved being at home — and no wonder. Home was where he had found life through the tender care of his human friends.

                    When Bud was about a year old, his home suffered a devastating fire. Samantha, who was in the house when the fire started, looked for the cats as she made her escape. Most of them appeared to have fled.

                    After the fire, Judy and Samantha started searching for their cats, scraping through the rubble the fire had left. Under the deck, atop a smoldering pile of wood, they found Bud perched, blackened, smelling like gasoline, but unhurt. Unlike Judy’s other cats, Bud had refused to leave his home, against all reason.

                    Judy rebuilt her house, and life began to return to normal. The trauma of the fire receded. Bud went on with his life in the home he loved. A few years after the fire, Maggie, one of Judy’s neighbors and friends, came to tell Judy that her long-ailing husband, Carl, had died the day before. As they were talking and grieving together, Bud crawled up into Maggie’s lap, where he remained. When Maggie got up to return home, Bud followed her, never to return to Judy’s again. From that night on he made his home with Maggie, with the mutual consent of both Maggie and Judy.

                    Bud, of course, couldn’t replace Maggie’s husband, Carl. But Bud brought a new life into the house that lifted Maggie’s spirits and filled her days with love.

                    How do we explain Bud’s actions? I don’t pretend to understand his motivation. I do know that he gave up a home he loved and filled Maggie’s home with affection and companionship that was welcome and healing.

                    There really is no adequate way to explain love. This is not a failure, but rather a statement about its nature. We intuit and experience love, rather than know it rationally. It is the stuff of poetry, not prose; of mystery, not certainty. Love, like all that is sacred and holy, cannot be categorized, dissected, or ever completely penetrated by rational, conscious methods. Trying to grasp love with words is futile and can lead us away from it. Animals simply live love. With their help, we can, too.

        From Animal Grace by Mary Lou Randour.

        O servants of The kindest
        Young Pious of today
        You wait impatiently everyday