- These days, roasted pumpkins seeds are all the rage. Tasty, full of anti-oxidants, high in fiber and protein, gourmet shops and health food stores stockMessage 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2008View Source
These days, roasted pumpkins seeds are all the rage. Tasty, full of anti-oxidants, high in fiber and protein, gourmet shops and health food stores stock them. Here's an EASY recipe to make them yourself!
Directions for Making Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Ingredients and Equipment
- pumpkin (see step 1)
- a sharp, serrated large knife
- Cookie sheet
- vegetable oil
- salt pepper, general herbs
Recipe and Directions
Step 1 - Clean the seedsWhen you are carving your pumpkin, separate the seeds from the pumpkin flesh and strings. Wash them well (usually putting then in a big bowl of water and rubbing them between your hands is a fast way to clean them) and spread them on paper towels to dry.It is also time to start preheating the oven. Turn it on and set it to 325 F (190 C, for those in Europe)
Step 2 - Spread the seeds on a cookie sheet and season themSpread the seeds evenly over a cookie sheet and lightly baste the seeds with melted butter, margarine, or vegetable oil. There are many variations. Here are the most popular, in order or popularity:
- Savory: 4 tablespoons melted butter, 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt and 2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
- Lemony: 4 tablespoons melted butter, 1 teaspoon 'Mrs. Dash" or lemon pepper
- Halloweeny: 4 tablespoons melted butter, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice.
- Spicy: 4 tablespoons melted butter, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Natural: 1 teaspoon sea salt or other salt, 4 tablespoons melted butter,
Step 3 - Roast the seedsHeat them in a 325-degree oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle with salt and serve hot or cold.
For milder flavor, simmer the cleaned seeds for about an hour in salted water and fry in deep oil. Or mix a tablespoon of oil or margarine to each cup of nuts and roast them at 250 degrees for 30-40 minutes until they're golden. Sprinkle them with salt.