Slipping pegs

  • Roni Gors
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2012
      Hi all

      Well, I have spent an interesting afternoon tuning up the lute, and
      have found there are a couple of pegs that keep on spinning out of
      control. Have tried putting on a sort of peg compound that I got from
      the music store (Hidershine Hiderpaste), but it just dusts off again
      pretty quickly. It could also be the way the strings are pulling on
      the pegs, so have tried to wind them evenly. Wont really know until I
      get the new strings and have a bit more to play with as to whether
      that will sort the problem.

      So all you violin and cello players...

      What do you use, or do, to stop the pegs from popping out or spinning
      loose? Did someone say Rosin?

      Thanks!

      Roni
    • Alana Bennett
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2012
        I'd say rosin is definitely a good idea to try. It shouldn't dust off as easily and is rather sticky (and leaves lovely white marks all over your clothing...)

        Feel free to borrow mine at the next music practice! If you'd rather buy your own, I recommend the Pirastro brand - I've had mine for almost as long as I've been playing violin (a while...). Avoid the super-cheap stuff (it comes in a little tiny rectangle packet - can't remember the brand) - it really doesn't work! :S

        -Alana

        To: ceoltoiriAneala@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2012
          Thanks Alana!