We be soldiers three

  • Rachel K
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2011
      Hello everyone

      Sound files for this song have now been uploaded to this site. Please
      see Rowany Festival Songbook for the music. Basses will almost
      certainly need to sing this an octave lower than written.

      There are various versions of this around. I have tried to ensure that
      the version we are using is as close as possible to the version
      published in Ravenscroft's Deuteromelia in 1609. In the process I have
      learnt quite a bit about early music notation as it was used in the 16th
      century.

      I have been thinking it might be worth having a discussion about various
      apsects of music theory from time to time. Perhaps we could make White
      Mensural Notation our first subject of discussion. Who is interested?

      Rachel
    • Roni Gors

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2011
          I'm interested. I'd also like a run down on the composition stuff
          Crispin taught. Perhaps after Twelfth Night.

          I've been in touch with the steward of Twelfth Night, who referred me to
          the Entertainment Co-ordinator, who informed me that she had resigned
          and referred me back to the steward. I'm still waiting to hear what
          they want and when. I have been told that it will all be outside, which
          rules out most of the Italian dances, and means we need to look into
          shade and wind protection. Hopefully, we'll know enough by next
          rehearsal to finalise plans.

          I'd also like to do Burden of the Crown. It seems appropriate.

          Catherine