Re: Finally did it

  • Scout
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 3, 2004
      "Grajek" wrote:
      > The other sites that will spring up to fill the void and treat
      > their participants 20x better. :-)

      GPSgames.org is already there. It doesn't have pocket queries and
      GeoToad doesn't support it, but similar functionality will be added
      to the site if and when there are enough caches listed to make it
      necessary. The welcome mat is always down.

      --
      Scout
    • semperquestio
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 3, 2004
        Therein lies part of the problem. Folks are spoiled to the bells and
        whistles and few will turn to other sites that don't have them.

        The old BBS days of 'check this out, lets see if we can do something
        with it' are over. Now, internet users expect content- and
        feature-rich sites right from the start.

        For another site to grow it has to offer as much, if not more,
        funcitonality and features, than the other sites out there from day 1.
        They also have to offer an easy way for cache owners to move or
        cross-list their caches and for finders to move or copy their finds
        with those caches.

        Until all that is available on an alternative site, I doubt very
        strongly that GC has anything to worry about from competition.

        HW

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Scout" <Scout@G...> wrote:

        > "Grajek" wrote:
        > > The other sites that will spring up to fill the void and treat
        > > their participants 20x better. :-)
        >
        > GPSgames.org is already there. It doesn't have pocket queries and
        > GeoToad doesn't support it, but similar functionality will be added
        > to the site if and when there are enough caches listed to make it
        > necessary. The welcome mat is always down.
        >
        > --
        > Scout
      • Scout
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 3, 2004
          "semperquestio" wrote:
          > Until all that is available on an alternative site, I doubt very
          > strongly that GC has anything to worry about from competition.

          GPSgames.org does not have every feature gc.com has, but gc.com does
          not have every feature GPSgames.org has, either. GPSgames.org offers
          the ability to list virtual caches, moving caches, caches without
          paper logs, even locationless caches and other innovative ideas the
          community cares to develop. It offers an open and democratic review
          process. It offers a cache rating service and the ability to ignore
          caches as well as watch them. It offers an open database for value-
          added development by the community.

          GPSgames.org offers an alternative for players who care about those
          things. For those who don't, gc.com is a great alternative. It has a
          lot of features itself and everyone knows it has the caches.

          Choice is good.

          --
          Scout http://GPSgames.org