[CentralTexasGeocachers] NUMBER 600!!!

  • Candy Lind
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 28, 2003
      We did McKinney Roughs Tough Challenge today. It was find number 600 for Wayne!!

      Congrats, hon, I love ya!

      Candy Lind    candylind@...
      I can quit any time ... really, I CAN!!
      Visit http://www.geocaching.com and see the great outdoors in a new way!
      Talk about geocaching at http://www.txga.net
    • Alex Alexander
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 28, 2003
        At 21:14 28/06/2003, you wrote:
        >We did McKinney Roughs Tough Challenge today. It was find number 600 for
        >Wayne!!

        Great stuff Wayne. We hope to hit 600 in Texas in a couple of weeks time!!!!

        Alex & Kim (The Brits)
      • Mark Gessner
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 28, 2003
          Congratulations Wayne! Hope you left us some goodies at McKinney
          Roughs.

          Remember, when Caches are Outlawed, only The Outlaw will find Caches...

          On Saturday, June 28, 2003, at 03:30 PM, Alex Alexander wrote:

          > At 21:14 28/06/2003, you wrote:
          >> We did McKinney Roughs Tough Challenge today. It was find number 600
          >> for
          >> Wayne!!
          >>

          > Great stuff Wayne. We hope to hit 600 in Texas in a couple of weeks
          > time!!!!
          >
          > Alex & Kim (The Brits)

          -mark
        • Wayne Lind
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 28, 2003
            Thanks, that is a great cache in an awesome park, I think you will enjoy it. Bring LOTS of water!!! The change in flora and terrain in that park is incredible. The Lanes did a fantastic job on that cache. In 5.28 miles of hiking, the only trash I saw was 2 glass bottles, one plastic bottle and one can. All were deposited in the trash on the way out. Small lizards were everywhere on the trail, we even had one escort Candy and I down a trail for over 100 feet before it headed into the woods. I'll be adding this one to my top 10 list, which is now up to about 25.

            P.S. While we were there, we picked up a use permit to be filled out for a new cache in the park.  :)
            Congratulations Wayne!   Hope you left us some goodies at McKinney
            Roughs.

            Remember, when Caches are Outlawed, only The Outlaw will find Caches...

            On Saturday, June 28, 2003, at 03:30  PM, Alex Alexander wrote:

            > At 21:14 28/06/2003, you wrote:
            >> We did McKinney Roughs Tough Challenge today. It was find number 600
            >> for
            >> Wayne!!
            >>

            > Great stuff Wayne.  We hope to hit 600 in Texas in a couple of weeks
            > time!!!!
            >
            > Alex & Kim (The Brits)

            -mark

          • Megindler@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 28, 2003
              Total congrats!!!  We better hide some more caches for you to find!
            • Matt Donovan
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 28, 2003
                yeah, maybe one that requires 3 supercomputers and 10 years to solve the
                puzzle to get to the first of 1000 redirectors!!

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 29, 2003
                  Hi all y'all (is that right?),

                  We have a rough idea now of our movements in the Austin area the week after
                  next.

                  WEDNESDAY 9th
                  We fly into Houston on Wednesday 9th July late evening and will stay close
                  to the airport.

                  THURSDAY 10th
                  As usual with jet-lag we will probably be bouncing off the walls at 4am on
                  the Thursday so we will head out early towards Austin. I reckon on picking
                  our way west knocking off caches as we go. There seem to one or two nice
                  ones on the route.

                  Arriving in Round Rock mid-afternoon in time to rest up a little before
                  heading off to the baseball in the evening with Wayne, Candy, Trey &
                  grrlfrog. It's Thirsty Thursdays with half-price beer and I ain't driving
                  :) Staying in Round Rock area

                  FRIDAY 11th
                  A mixture of geocaching and house hunting in Round Rock/Leander/Cedar Park
                  areas. Nothing planned for the evening. Possibly checking out the pubs in
                  round Rock. Staying in Round Rock area

                  SATURDAY 12th
                  Lie in and then an easy mooch down towards Austin proper. Caching on the
                  way probably taking in a few caches in Pflugerville and looking at a couple
                  of houses in that area too. Early evening for the "Brits are Coming" cache
                  meet at Scholz's http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=72688
                  No worries about driving on this one as we will be staying somewhere in
                  Downtown Austin.

                  SUNDAY 13th
                  Depends on the hang-over, but the plan for Sunday is to hit all the
                  virtuals in downtown Austin and learn a bit about the history of the place
                  in the process.
                  We will be doing "Accidental Tourist" on the Sunday. I like the idea of
                  the challenge on that one and it will be nice to do a 3/5 to balance out
                  some of the 1/1 virtuals. Staying in downtown Austin.

                  MONDAY & TUESDAY 14th/15th
                  Up to Georgetown for a good look around the area and houses. Hopefully
                  meeting up with Jim & Malia Barth sometime in those two days. I guess we
                  will be looking a places in the very hot part of the day and perhaps doing
                  a few caches when it gets cooler (does it ever get cooler??) Staying in
                  Georgetown.

                  WEDNESDAY 16th
                  Back to Houston and home.....

                  So that is pretty much our trip in a nutshell. Hopefully there will be
                  lots of you there on the Saturday at Scholz's so we can put faces to names.

                  Anyone who wants to share a beer with the Brits at any other time on our
                  trip, please email us an we will see what we can arrange.

                  We are looking forward to coming over and if the hospitality on the ground
                  is anything like it has been so far on this group and in email with folks,
                  then we are going to have a hoot of a time.

                  See y'all

                  Alex (& Kim)

                  BTW - If there are any Harry Potter fans out there who would like a copy
                  of the UK version of the new book, we would be happy to bring them one over
                  if you can let us know by email. The UK book doesn't have all the changes
                  of terms in it like pavement changed into sidewalk.
                • Cindy
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 29, 2003
                    Alex,

                    I am not one of the folks you have been chatting with, but I would love a copy of the HP book without the changes. I am going to be out of town (California) while you are here, but perhaps I can get someone to pick it up from you. Have a great time in Austin, wish I was going to be in town,

                    Cindy aka Catalyst and Team JKC

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • Wayne Lind
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 30, 2003
                      Actually, I think I am the one who should be hiding them. 600 finds and only 7 caches hidden is pretty lame. I painted 3 ammo cans on Sunday so I may get another couple up in the near future.
                      Total congrats!!!  We better hide some more caches for you to find!

                    • L. Kevin D.
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 30, 2003
                        This may be a stupid question, but why do you need to paint an ammo
                        can? They're ALREADY green!

                        -- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Lind"
                        <wlind@a...> wrote:
                        > Actually, I think I am the one who should be hiding them. 600 finds
                        and only
                        > 7 caches hidden is pretty lame. I painted 3 ammo cans on Sunday so I
                        may get
                        > another couple up in the near future.

                      • The Diver
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 30, 2003
                          So you can write this on your cache page: "The ammo can, which is painted
                          somewhat like, but not quite, but pretty close to camouflage....". :-)
                          Seriously, the main reason I painted mine was to cover the yellow writing
                          on the can. Also, it might be easier to explain to the authorities about
                          your painted ammo can than one that has .50-cal ammo painted on the side.
                          :-)

                          Alan
                          aka The Diver

                          > This may be a stupid question, but why do you need to paint an ammo
                          > can? They're ALREADY green!
                          >
                          > -- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Lind"
                          > <wlind@a...> wrote:
                          > > Actually, I think I am the one who should be hiding them. 600 finds
                          > and only
                          > > 7 caches hidden is pretty lame. I painted 3 ammo cans on Sunday so I
                          > may get
                          > > another couple up in the near future.

                        • L. Kevin D.
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 30, 2003
                            That's probably not a bad idea to cover the 50 cal logo. I saw one
                            last week that had been painted BRIGHT green. Not that it made it any
                            easier to find. I walked past it when it was only 5-6' away from me
                            and didn't see it. Of course I'm a bit taller than 12-15" high too.
                            A really short person would have a lot of advantages looking for this
                            one!:)

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "The Diver"
                            <thediver@a...> wrote:
                            > So you can write this on your cache page: "The ammo can, which is
                            painted
                            > somewhat like, but not quite, but pretty close to camouflage....". :-)
                            > Seriously, the main reason I painted mine was to cover the yellow
                            writing
                            > on the can. Also, it might be easier to explain to the authorities about
                            > your painted ammo can than one that has .50-cal ammo painted on the
                            side.
                            > :-)
                            >
                            > Alan
                            > aka The Diver

                            Service.

                          • Wayne Lind

                              > This may be a stupid question, but why do you need to paint an ammo
                              > can?  They're ALREADY green!
                              >
                              > -- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Lind"
                              > <wlind@a...> wrote:
                              > > Actually, I think I am the one who should be hiding them. 600 finds
                              > and only
                              > > 7 caches hidden is pretty lame. I painted 3 ammo cans on Sunday so I
                              > may get
                              > > another couple up in the near future.

                            • Wayne Lind
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 30, 2003
                                The one hidden at Fort Hood hide is bright yellow. Didn't help one bit.

                                <thediver@a...> wrote:
                                > So you can write this on your cache page: "The ammo can, which is
                                painted
                                > somewhat like, but not quite, but pretty close to camouflage....".  :-)
                                > Seriously, the main reason I painted mine was to cover  the yellow
                                writing
                                > on the can. Also, it might be easier to explain to the authorities about
                                > your painted ammo can than one that has .50-cal ammo painted on the
                                side.
                                > :-)
                                >
                                > Alan
                                > aka The Diver

                              • jnbarth
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 30, 2003
                                  We're having a lot of fun painting and decorating our cans.... don't
                                  want to give away any secrets, but I hope they will be a bit more
                                  challenging to find..... watch for some coming caches in the
                                  Georgetown area!

                                  Malia

                                  Service.
                                • Mike Seay
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 3, 2003

                                    I think there is something to be said for quality over quantity. I just happened to notice that while only 5% of the caches that I have found have been placed by you, a full 30% of my top ten list consist of your caches! I’d rather have more caches where clearly a lot of thought and work has gone into laying them out (like Jogmuir’s Quest and the CenTex cache scramble) than one just thrown off by the side of the road! I’ve been brainstorming ideas for a few caches of my own for quite some time now... I know its tough! So I’m impressed that you and many of the others in the geocaching community can come up with so many great ideas!

                                    With so many ammo cans now floating around the central Texas area, I suspect “cacher’s block” will be unavoidable, however.

                                    Congrats on reaching the 600th milestone!

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 3, 2003
                                      Thanks for your kind words Mike, I really appreciate it. I normally try to find places, whether on multi caches or single point caches where there is a reason to go there beyond the cache. With all the locations around Central Texas that have scenic views, that is not real hard to do. I have a plan for another multi puzzle cache that I am going to steal from a cacher in the Northeast (borrow it really) and it looks like there is enough interest in the Jogmuir's quest cache that the saga will have to continue, but I want to have a balance of easier and tougher caches. I don't want for everyone in the area to see an new cache of mine pop up and say "Oh no, that @#&@* Wayne stuck another of his miserable, impossible to find, makes my (fill in whatever part(s) of the anatomy apply) hurt caches." With that in mind:

                                      I am adopting the "Just around the bend" and "Hunt for Stonehenge II" caches for the owners who are moving out of the state.
                                      While I am out there at Colorado Bend State Park tomorrow, I hope to place another cache out there if I can get approval from the park manager. If so, look for "The Bend at the Bend" to show up shortly. There are 17 miles of hiking trails in this park and only 2 caches, I think we can safely squeeze one more in.
                                      Candy has located 2 more parks that are prime candidates for YAPIDKAs 5 and 6. I am hoping she will share one of them with me.  :)

                                      But I have no Virtual caches, and the only mind numingly easy cache I have is YAPIDKA 4, so I need to try to balance my cache portfolio. :)

                                      Stay tuned,

                                      Wayne