Re: Austin Hotspots (WAPs)

  • Essiar
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
      You can park outside any Schlotzkys and get good reception.
      Recently, I just hopped from strip mall to strip mall, suprising how
      many small biz and homes have unsecured networks. Heck, I can sit in
      my house and pick up 6 nets, 1/2 of them unsecured. Starbucks does
      charge a fee via their sbc or tmobile nets. It seems like just about
      every eating/drinking establishment around here has free wifi now.
      Last night when driving past the local chicken wing place (Wings and
      More) they had a new Free Wifi sign hanging up. It seem that in N
      Austin you shouldn't have to drive more than a few blocks at most to
      get a net.

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Alex Alexander
      <alex.yahoogroups@n...> wrote:
      > Well I use my pda and downloaded the WiFi sniffer application from
      Boingo.

      > I'm sure they have a PC version as well. It sniffs out WiFi
      hotspots, if
      > they are free they you hit connect, and it does just that.
      >
      > There are probably more free hotspots in Austin than anywhere else
      I've
      > been. now that many hotels are offering free internet to their
      guests it
      > would be interesting to park up outside one of them and see if you
      can use
      > their internet.
      >
      > alex.
      >

      > At 12:19 PM 11/3/2004, you wrote:
      >
      > >Thanks Alex,
      > >
      > >It took someone from almost halfway around the world to reply.
      > >Sometimes I feel like the black sheepr Austin Geocaching family.
      > >
      > >How do you logon?
    • Kevin Dytrich
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
        Cool!

        Thanks, Steve.

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Essiar" <essiar@t...>
        wrote:

        > You can park outside any Schlotzkys and get good reception.
        > Recently, I just hopped from strip mall to strip mall, suprising how
        > many small biz and homes have unsecured networks. Heck, I can sit in
        > my house and pick up 6 nets, 1/2 of them unsecured. Starbucks does
        > charge a fee via their sbc or tmobile nets. It seems like just about
        > every eating/drinking establishment around here has free wifi now.
        > Last night when driving past the local chicken wing place (Wings and
        > More) they had a new Free Wifi sign hanging up. It seem that in N
        > Austin you shouldn't have to drive more than a few blocks at most to
        > get a net.
        >
        > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Alex Alexander
        > <alex.yahoogroups@n...> wrote:
        > > Well I use my pda and downloaded the WiFi sniffer application from
        > Boingo.
        > >
        > > I'm sure they have a PC version as well. It sniffs out WiFi
        > hotspots, if
        > > they are free they you hit connect, and it does just that.
        > >
        > > There are probably more free hotspots in Austin than anywhere else
        > I've
        > > been. now that many hotels are offering free internet to their
        > guests it
        > > would be interesting to park up outside one of them and see if you
        > can use
        > > their internet.
        > >
        > > alex.
        > >

        > > At 12:19 PM 11/3/2004, you wrote:
        > >
        > > >Thanks Alex,
        > > >
        > > >It took someone from almost halfway around the world to reply.
        > > >Sometimes I feel like the black sheepr Austin Geocaching family.
        > > >
        > > >How do you logon?
      • Grajek
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
          4 hours???? More like 2.5 hours. The speed limits are up to 70MPH now?
          ;)