Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Routing info

  • Aphrael
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
      depends on which side of DFW u want...:) I can get to
      there in an 2.5 but I like to push the pedal a
      little..:) if you take this route tho, theres a bunch
      of easy caches in Lampasas, and you can make a pitstop
      at Come Visit The Cats, which is my front yard...:) be
      happy to see ya and offer up a tea to calm the nerves
      of flight...:):):)

      --- Alex Alexander <alex.yahoogroups@...>
      wrote:

      > I have to drive to Austin from DFW next week, and
      > then back again. I hate
      > that freeway.
      >
      > If I were to take the route up through Lampasas, and
      > up the 281, how much
      > extra time should I allow as opposed to driving the
      > freeway?
      >
      > Alex.

    • Aphrael
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
        oppss forgot to add the hour to Austin so about 3.5-4
        hours..:)

        jsut look at the 2.5 and stop at my house...:):):)

        --- Aphrael <aphrael32@...> wrote:

        > depends on which side of DFW u want...:) I can get
        > there in an 2.5 but I like to push the pedal a
        > little..:) if you take this route tho, theres a
        > bunch
        > of easy caches in Lampasas, and you can make a
        > pitstop
        > at Come Visit The Cats, which is my front yard...:)
        > be
        > happy to see ya and offer up a tea to calm the
        > nerves
        > of flight...:):):)
        >

        > --- Alex Alexander <alex.yahoogroups@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > I have to drive to Austin from DFW next week, and
        > > then back again. I hate
        > > that freeway.
        > >
        > > If I were to take the route up through Lampasas,
        > and
        > > up the 281, how much
        > > extra time should I allow as opposed to driving
        > the
        > > freeway?
        > >
        > > Alex.

      • Alex Alexander
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
          Well I use my pda and downloaded the WiFi sniffer application from Boingo.

          I'm sure they have a PC version as well. It sniffs out WiFi hotspots, if
          they are free they you hit connect, and it does just that.

          There are probably more free hotspots in Austin than anywhere else I've
          been. now that many hotels are offering free internet to their guests it
          would be interesting to park up outside one of them and see if you can use
          their internet.

          alex.

          At 12:19 PM 11/3/2004, you wrote:

          >Thanks Alex,
          >
          >It took someone from almost halfway around the world to reply.
          >Sometimes I feel like the black sheepr Austin Geocaching family.
          >
          >How do you logon?
        • Alex Alexander
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
            I don't fly back until Sunday, but I"m planning on driving up on Saturday
            and staying in Ft Worth. Then I'll do the downtown FW virtuals on Sunday
            morning.

            If I get an early start Saturday then I should have time to do some caches
            in Lampasas and then maybe some of those near to Glen Rose.

            If everything goes to this plan, I'll let you know.

            Alex.

            At 12:49 PM 11/3/2004, you wrote:
            >depends on which side of DFW u want...:) I can get to
            >there in an 2.5 but I like to push the pedal a
            >little..:) if you take this route tho, theres a bunch
            >of easy caches in Lampasas, and you can make a pitstop
            >at Come Visit The Cats, which is my front yard...:) be
            >happy to see ya and offer up a tea to calm the nerves
            >of flight...:):):)
          • Aphrael
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
              heheh you can do all the caches in Lampasas in about
              an hour...:) none of them are hard, and all of them
              are withing a tight circle..:) let me know..:) I will
              be pacing the floor, my mom is do to arrive that day
              for the holidays...:)

              Aphrael

              wrote:

              > I don't fly back until Sunday, but I"m planning on
              > driving up on Saturday
              > and staying in Ft Worth. Then I'll do the downtown
              > FW virtuals on Sunday
              > morning.
              >
              > If I get an early start Saturday then I should have
              > time to do some caches
              > in Lampasas and then maybe some of those near to
              > Glen Rose.
              >
              > If everything goes to this plan, I'll let you know.
              >
              > Alex.
              >
              > At 12:49 PM 11/3/2004, you wrote:
              > >depends on which side of DFW u want...:) I can get
              > >there in an 2.5 but I like to push the pedal a
              > >little..:) if you take this route tho, theres a
              > bunch
              > >of easy caches in Lampasas, and you can make a
              > pitstop
              > >at Come Visit The Cats, which is my front yard...:)
              > be
              > >happy to see ya and offer up a tea to calm the
              > nerves
              > >of flight...:):):)

            • Essiar
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
                You can park outside any Schlotzkys and get good reception.
                Recently, I just hopped from strip mall to strip mall, suprising how
                many small biz and homes have unsecured networks. Heck, I can sit in
                my house and pick up 6 nets, 1/2 of them unsecured. Starbucks does
                charge a fee via their sbc or tmobile nets. It seems like just about
                every eating/drinking establishment around here has free wifi now.
                Last night when driving past the local chicken wing place (Wings and
                More) they had a new Free Wifi sign hanging up. It seem that in N
                Austin you shouldn't have to drive more than a few blocks at most to
                get a net.

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Alex Alexander
                <alex.yahoogroups@n...> wrote:
                > Well I use my pda and downloaded the WiFi sniffer application from
                Boingo.

                > I'm sure they have a PC version as well. It sniffs out WiFi
                hotspots, if
                > they are free they you hit connect, and it does just that.
                >
                > There are probably more free hotspots in Austin than anywhere else
                I've
                > been. now that many hotels are offering free internet to their
                guests it
                > would be interesting to park up outside one of them and see if you
                can use
                > their internet.
                >
                > alex.
                >

                > At 12:19 PM 11/3/2004, you wrote:
                >
                > >Thanks Alex,
                > >
                > >It took someone from almost halfway around the world to reply.
                > >Sometimes I feel like the black sheepr Austin Geocaching family.
                > >
                > >How do you logon?
              • Kevin Dytrich
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
                  Cool!

                  Thanks, Steve.

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Essiar" <essiar@t...>
                  wrote:

                  > You can park outside any Schlotzkys and get good reception.
                  > Recently, I just hopped from strip mall to strip mall, suprising how
                  > many small biz and homes have unsecured networks. Heck, I can sit in
                  > my house and pick up 6 nets, 1/2 of them unsecured. Starbucks does
                  > charge a fee via their sbc or tmobile nets. It seems like just about
                  > every eating/drinking establishment around here has free wifi now.
                  > Last night when driving past the local chicken wing place (Wings and
                  > More) they had a new Free Wifi sign hanging up. It seem that in N
                  > Austin you shouldn't have to drive more than a few blocks at most to
                  > get a net.
                  >
                  > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Alex Alexander
                  > <alex.yahoogroups@n...> wrote:
                  > > Well I use my pda and downloaded the WiFi sniffer application from
                  > Boingo.
                  > >
                  > > I'm sure they have a PC version as well. It sniffs out WiFi
                  > hotspots, if
                  > > they are free they you hit connect, and it does just that.
                  > >
                  > > There are probably more free hotspots in Austin than anywhere else
                  > I've
                  > > been. now that many hotels are offering free internet to their
                  > guests it
                  > > would be interesting to park up outside one of them and see if you
                  > can use
                  > > their internet.
                  > >
                  > > alex.
                  > >

                  > > At 12:19 PM 11/3/2004, you wrote:
                  > >
                  > > >Thanks Alex,
                  > > >
                  > > >It took someone from almost halfway around the world to reply.
                  > > >Sometimes I feel like the black sheepr Austin Geocaching family.
                  > > >
                  > > >How do you logon?
                • Grajek
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
                    4 hours???? More like 2.5 hours. The speed limits are up to 70MPH now?
                    ;)

                    It's about a 4 hour drive. But worth it.
                    -mark
                    On Nov 3, 2004, at 4:43 AM, Alex Alexander wrote:

                    > I have to drive to Austin from DFW next week, and then back again.  I
                    > hate
                    > that freeway.
                    >
                    > If I were to take the route up through Lampasas, and up the 281, how
                    > much
                    > extra time should I allow as opposed to driving the freeway?
                    >
                    > Alex.
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    > <f2_free2_300x250_def_0904.gif>
                    > <l.gif>

                    > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                    Terms of
                    > Service.

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    ---