Austin Hotspots (WAPs)

  • L. Kevin D.
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 2, 2004
      Any of you geeks with Wi-Fi equipped laptops know of any free WAPs in
      North Austin. I finally got a laptop and set up a wireless router at
      home.

      My hours at work changed from 2300-0700 to 0700-1500. So if anyone
      wants to join me for caching uo north, it'd be cool. thanks,

      Kevin
    • Alex Alexander
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
        The last time I was in Austin I used the hotspot in the Flightpath Cafe at
        5011 Duval Street. It is just down the road from "Take a Nap". You can
        sit outside in the car and hookup to their signal or grab a coffee and surf
        in comfort inside.

        I use www.jiwire.com to locate free hot-spots. It's slow to load the data
        at first, but is good for pinpointing free WiFi.

        Alex.

        At 03:44 AM 11/3/2004, you wrote:

        >Any of you geeks with Wi-Fi equipped laptops know of any free WAPs in
        >North Austin. I finally got a laptop and set up a wireless router at
        >home.
        >
        > My hours at work changed from 2300-0700 to 0700-1500. So if anyone
        > wants to join me for caching uo north, it'd be cool. thanks,
        >
        >Kevin
      • Alex Alexander
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
          I have to drive to Austin from DFW next week, and then back again. I hate
          that freeway.

          If I were to take the route up through Lampasas, and up the 281, how much
          extra time should I allow as opposed to driving the freeway?

          Alex.
        • lowracer
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
            It's about a 4 hour drive. But worth it.
            -mark
            On Nov 3, 2004, at 4:43 AM, Alex Alexander wrote:

            > I have to drive to Austin from DFW next week, and then back again.  I
            > hate
            > that freeway.
            >
            > If I were to take the route up through Lampasas, and up the 281, how
            > much
            > extra time should I allow as opposed to driving the freeway?
            >
            > Alex.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            > <f2_free2_300x250_def_0904.gif>
            > <l.gif>

            > Service.

          • Wayne Lind
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
              I would agree. Both with the time and being worth it.

              It's about a 4 hour drive. But worth it.
              -mark
              On Nov 3, 2004, at 4:43 AM, Alex Alexander wrote:

              > I have to drive to Austin from DFW next week, and then back again.  I
              > hate
              > that freeway.
              >
              > If I were to take the route up through Lampasas, and up the 281, how
              > much
              > extra time should I allow as opposed to driving the freeway?
              >
              > Alex.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              > <f2_free2_300x250_def_0904.gif>
              > <l.gif>

              > Service.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • L. Kevin D.
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
                Thanks Alex,

                It took someone from almost halfway around the world to reply.
                Sometimes I feel like the black sheepr Austin Geocaching family.

                How do you logon?

                thanks again,

                Kevin

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Alex Alexander
                <alex.yahoogroups@n...> wrote:
                > The last time I was in Austin I used the hotspot in the Flightpath
                Cafe at
                > 5011 Duval Street. It is just down the road from "Take a Nap". You
                can
                > sit outside in the car and hookup to their signal or grab a coffee
                and surf
                > in comfort inside.
                >
                > I use www.jiwire.com to locate free hot-spots. It's slow to load
                the data
                > at first, but is good for pinpointing free WiFi.
                >
                > Alex.
                >

                > At 03:44 AM 11/3/2004, you wrote:
                >
                > >Any of you geeks with Wi-Fi equipped laptops know of any free WAPs in
                > >North Austin. I finally got a laptop and set up a wireless router at
                > >home.
                > >
                > > My hours at work changed from 2300-0700 to 0700-1500. So if anyone
                > > wants to join me for caching uo north, it'd be cool. thanks,
                > >
                > >Kevin
              • L. Kevin D.
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
                  Do you mean 281 to Lampasas and then 183 to Austin?

                  <alex.yahoogroups@n...> wrote:
                  > I have to drive to Austin from DFW next week, and then back again.
                  I hate
                  > that freeway.
                  >
                  > If I were to take the route up through Lampasas, and up the 281, how
                  much
                  > extra time should I allow as opposed to driving the freeway?
                  >
                  > Alex.
                • Aphrael
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
                    depends on which side of DFW u want...:) I can get to
                    there in an 2.5 but I like to push the pedal a
                    little..:) if you take this route tho, theres a bunch
                    of easy caches in Lampasas, and you can make a pitstop
                    at Come Visit The Cats, which is my front yard...:) be
                    happy to see ya and offer up a tea to calm the nerves
                    of flight...:):):)

                    wrote:

                    > I have to drive to Austin from DFW next week, and
                    > then back again. I hate
                    > that freeway.
                    >
                    > If I were to take the route up through Lampasas, and
                    > up the 281, how much
                    > extra time should I allow as opposed to driving the
                    > freeway?
                    >
                    > Alex.

                  • Aphrael
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
                      oppss forgot to add the hour to Austin so about 3.5-4
                      hours..:)

                      jsut look at the 2.5 and stop at my house...:):):)

                      --- Aphrael <aphrael32@...> wrote:

                      > depends on which side of DFW u want...:) I can get
                      > there in an 2.5 but I like to push the pedal a
                      > little..:) if you take this route tho, theres a
                      > bunch
                      > of easy caches in Lampasas, and you can make a
                      > pitstop
                      > at Come Visit The Cats, which is my front yard...:)
                      > be
                      > happy to see ya and offer up a tea to calm the
                      > nerves
                      > of flight...:):):)
                      >

                      > --- Alex Alexander <alex.yahoogroups@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      > > I have to drive to Austin from DFW next week, and
                      > > then back again. I hate
                      > > that freeway.
                      > >
                      > > If I were to take the route up through Lampasas,
                      > and
                      > > up the 281, how much
                      > > extra time should I allow as opposed to driving
                      > the
                      > > freeway?
                      > >
                      > > Alex.

                    • Alex Alexander
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
                        Well I use my pda and downloaded the WiFi sniffer application from Boingo.

                        I'm sure they have a PC version as well. It sniffs out WiFi hotspots, if
                        they are free they you hit connect, and it does just that.

                        There are probably more free hotspots in Austin than anywhere else I've
                        been. now that many hotels are offering free internet to their guests it
                        would be interesting to park up outside one of them and see if you can use
                        their internet.

                        alex.

                        At 12:19 PM 11/3/2004, you wrote:

                        >Thanks Alex,
                        >
                        >It took someone from almost halfway around the world to reply.
                        >Sometimes I feel like the black sheepr Austin Geocaching family.
                        >
                        >How do you logon?
                      • Alex Alexander
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
                          I don't fly back until Sunday, but I"m planning on driving up on Saturday
                          and staying in Ft Worth. Then I'll do the downtown FW virtuals on Sunday
                          morning.

                          If I get an early start Saturday then I should have time to do some caches
                          in Lampasas and then maybe some of those near to Glen Rose.

                          If everything goes to this plan, I'll let you know.

                          Alex.

                          At 12:49 PM 11/3/2004, you wrote:
                          >depends on which side of DFW u want...:) I can get to
                          >there in an 2.5 but I like to push the pedal a
                          >little..:) if you take this route tho, theres a bunch
                          >of easy caches in Lampasas, and you can make a pitstop
                          >at Come Visit The Cats, which is my front yard...:) be
                          >happy to see ya and offer up a tea to calm the nerves
                          >of flight...:):):)
                        • Aphrael
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
                            heheh you can do all the caches in Lampasas in about
                            an hour...:) none of them are hard, and all of them
                            are withing a tight circle..:) let me know..:) I will
                            be pacing the floor, my mom is do to arrive that day
                            for the holidays...:)

                            Aphrael

                            wrote:

                            > I don't fly back until Sunday, but I"m planning on
                            > driving up on Saturday
                            > and staying in Ft Worth. Then I'll do the downtown
                            > FW virtuals on Sunday
                            > morning.
                            >
                            > If I get an early start Saturday then I should have
                            > time to do some caches
                            > in Lampasas and then maybe some of those near to
                            > Glen Rose.
                            >
                            > If everything goes to this plan, I'll let you know.
                            >
                            > Alex.
                            >
                            > At 12:49 PM 11/3/2004, you wrote:
                            > >depends on which side of DFW u want...:) I can get
                            > >there in an 2.5 but I like to push the pedal a
                            > >little..:) if you take this route tho, theres a
                            > bunch
                            > >of easy caches in Lampasas, and you can make a
                            > pitstop
                            > >at Come Visit The Cats, which is my front yard...:)
                            > be
                            > >happy to see ya and offer up a tea to calm the
                            > nerves
                            > >of flight...:):):)

                          • Essiar
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
                              You can park outside any Schlotzkys and get good reception.
                              Recently, I just hopped from strip mall to strip mall, suprising how
                              many small biz and homes have unsecured networks. Heck, I can sit in
                              my house and pick up 6 nets, 1/2 of them unsecured. Starbucks does
                              charge a fee via their sbc or tmobile nets. It seems like just about
                              every eating/drinking establishment around here has free wifi now.
                              Last night when driving past the local chicken wing place (Wings and
                              More) they had a new Free Wifi sign hanging up. It seem that in N
                              Austin you shouldn't have to drive more than a few blocks at most to
                              get a net.

                              <alex.yahoogroups@n...> wrote:
                              > Well I use my pda and downloaded the WiFi sniffer application from
                              Boingo.

                              > I'm sure they have a PC version as well. It sniffs out WiFi
                              hotspots, if
                              > they are free they you hit connect, and it does just that.
                              >
                              > There are probably more free hotspots in Austin than anywhere else
                              I've
                              > been. now that many hotels are offering free internet to their
                              guests it
                              > would be interesting to park up outside one of them and see if you
                              can use
                              > their internet.
                              >
                              > alex.
                              >

                              > At 12:19 PM 11/3/2004, you wrote:
                              >
                              > >Thanks Alex,
                              > >
                              > >It took someone from almost halfway around the world to reply.
                              > >Sometimes I feel like the black sheepr Austin Geocaching family.
                              > >
                              > >How do you logon?
                            • Kevin Dytrich
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
                                Cool!

                                Thanks, Steve.

                                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Essiar" <essiar@t...>
                                wrote:

                                > You can park outside any Schlotzkys and get good reception.
                                > Recently, I just hopped from strip mall to strip mall, suprising how
                                > many small biz and homes have unsecured networks. Heck, I can sit in
                                > my house and pick up 6 nets, 1/2 of them unsecured. Starbucks does
                                > charge a fee via their sbc or tmobile nets. It seems like just about
                                > every eating/drinking establishment around here has free wifi now.
                                > Last night when driving past the local chicken wing place (Wings and
                                > More) they had a new Free Wifi sign hanging up. It seem that in N
                                > Austin you shouldn't have to drive more than a few blocks at most to
                                > get a net.
                                >
                                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Alex Alexander
                                > <alex.yahoogroups@n...> wrote:
                                > > Well I use my pda and downloaded the WiFi sniffer application from
                                > Boingo.
                                > >
                                > > I'm sure they have a PC version as well. It sniffs out WiFi
                                > hotspots, if
                                > > they are free they you hit connect, and it does just that.
                                > >
                                > > There are probably more free hotspots in Austin than anywhere else
                                > I've
                                > > been. now that many hotels are offering free internet to their
                                > guests it
                                > > would be interesting to park up outside one of them and see if you
                                > can use
                                > > their internet.
                                > >
                                > > alex.
                                > >

                                > > At 12:19 PM 11/3/2004, you wrote:
                                > >
                                > > >Thanks Alex,
                                > > >
                                > > >It took someone from almost halfway around the world to reply.
                                > > >Sometimes I feel like the black sheepr Austin Geocaching family.
                                > > >
                                > > >How do you logon?
                              • Grajek
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
                                  4 hours???? More like 2.5 hours. The speed limits are up to 70MPH now?
                                  ;)

                                  It's about a 4 hour drive. But worth it.
                                  -mark
                                  On Nov 3, 2004, at 4:43 AM, Alex Alexander wrote:

                                  > I have to drive to Austin from DFW next week, and then back again.  I
                                  > hate
                                  > that freeway.
                                  >
                                  > If I were to take the route up through Lampasas, and up the 281, how
                                  > much
                                  > extra time should I allow as opposed to driving the freeway?
                                  >
                                  > Alex.
                                  >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                  > <f2_free2_300x250_def_0904.gif>
                                  > <l.gif>

                                  > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                                  Terms of
                                  > Service.

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  ---