Re: Call the Bomb Squad? - It's just a matter of time

  • buzzardcheater
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 29, 2004
      I like the idea of trying to do a 'geocaching 101' for local PD. It
      could avoid this kind of huffery from the article:

      "People have to understand that I've been to three FBI and CIA
      briefings in the last two weeks, getting briefed on terrorists and
      terrorism," Mahan said. "They need to find another game."

      That kind of attitude really bugs me... (son, I know what's best for
      you.....)

      I had an interesting run-in with the airport cops while going after
      the Outlaw cache at the cemetery. Let's just say one shouldn't get
      too close to the fence and watch where you park.

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, lowracer
      <lowracer@a...> wrote:
      > What can we do to prevent a scenario like what occurred up in
      Indiana?

      > <http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=82906>
      >
      > A cacher is doing an urban cache placed with permission on a
      replica
      > train near an ice cream parlor. Someone sees him skulking about,
      > replacing the container, then calls the cops, who dispatch the
      bomb
      > squad and disrupt the suspicious package with a shot from a 50 cal
      > water cannon. The geocacher may be held liable for the bomb squad
      > expenses.
      >
      > I'm thinking a good way to let our local police know about the
      game is
      > for us to hide a full-size cache on the grounds of every police
      station
      > and sheriff station in the area. Hide them with permission of
      course
      > and get the participation of the officers inside, they can check
      on the
      > cache every once in awhile, read the logs and put in cool police
      swag
      > like patches and anti-drug pamphlets and stuff. They'll see
      someone
      > snooping around their station every couple of days with a GPS unit
      and
      > it will remind them that we're out there playing this game.
      Perhaps
      > give them contact info for whoever owns 'their' cache, that way if
      they
      > spot a suspicious item out in the field they can just call someone
      > see if it's a geocache before deploying the water cannon.
      >
      > I'd hate to see an Indiana-style event happen here. Something
      like
      > that could get caching banned.
      >
      > Ideas, comments?
      > -mark
    • Essiar
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 29, 2004
        The solution is simple. We have an oustanding member of the geo
        community represent us. He/she should meet with Homeland Security
        and set them straight onec and for all. This person should not be
        cynical nor facetious. He should be kind and understanding and
        extremely diplomatic. I vote for Grajek.

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "buzzardcheater"
        <buzzardcheater@g...> wrote:

        > I like the idea of trying to do a 'geocaching 101' for local PD.
        It
        > could avoid this kind of huffery from the article:
        >
        > "People have to understand that I've been to three FBI and CIA
        > briefings in the last two weeks, getting briefed on terrorists and
        > terrorism," Mahan said. "They need to find another game."
        >
        > That kind of attitude really bugs me... (son, I know what's best
        for
        > you.....)
        >
        > I had an interesting run-in with the airport cops while going
        after
        > the Outlaw cache at the cemetery. Let's just say one shouldn't
        get
        > too close to the fence and watch where you park.
        >

        > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, lowracer
        > <lowracer@a...> wrote:
        > > What can we do to prevent a scenario like what occurred up in
        > Indiana?
        > >
        > > <http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=82906>
        > >
        > > A cacher is doing an urban cache placed with permission on a
        > replica
        > > train near an ice cream parlor. Someone sees him skulking
        about,
        > > replacing the container, then calls the cops, who dispatch the
        > bomb
        > > squad and disrupt the suspicious package with a shot from a 50
        cal
        > > water cannon. The geocacher may be held liable for the bomb
        squad
        > > expenses.
        > >
        > > I'm thinking a good way to let our local police know about the
        > game is
        > > for us to hide a full-size cache on the grounds of every police
        > station
        > > and sheriff station in the area. Hide them with permission of
        > course
        > > and get the participation of the officers inside, they can check
        > on the
        > > cache every once in awhile, read the logs and put in cool police
        > swag
        > > like patches and anti-drug pamphlets and stuff. They'll see
        > someone
        > > snooping around their station every couple of days with a GPS
        unit
        > and
        > > it will remind them that we're out there playing this game.
        > Perhaps
        > > give them contact info for whoever owns 'their' cache, that way
        if
        > they
        > > spot a suspicious item out in the field they can just call
        someone
        > > see if it's a geocache before deploying the water cannon.
        > >
        > > I'd hate to see an Indiana-style event happen here. Something
        > like
        > > that could get caching banned.
        > >
        > > Ideas, comments?
        > > -mark
      • Wayne Lind
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 29, 2004
          Works for me.

          <buzzardcheater@g...> wrote:

          > I like the idea of trying to do a 'geocaching 101' for local PD.
          It
          > could avoid this kind of huffery from the article:
          >
          > "People have to understand that I've been to three FBI and CIA
          > briefings in the last two weeks, getting briefed on terrorists and
          > terrorism," Mahan said. "They need to find another game."
          >
          > That kind of attitude really bugs me... (son, I know what's best
          for
          > you.....)
          >
          > I had an interesting run-in with the airport cops while going
          after
          > the Outlaw cache at the cemetery. Let's just say one shouldn't
          get
          > too close to the fence and watch where you park.
          >

          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, lowracer
          > <lowracer@a...> wrote:
          > > What can we do to prevent a scenario like what occurred up in
          > Indiana?
          > >
          > > <http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=82906>
          > >
          > > A cacher is doing an urban cache placed with permission on a
          > replica
          > > train near an ice cream parlor. Someone sees him skulking
          about,
          > > replacing the container, then calls the cops, who dispatch the
          > bomb
          > > squad and disrupt the suspicious package with a shot from a 50
          cal
          > > water cannon. The geocacher may be held liable for the bomb
          squad
          > > expenses.
          > >
          > > I'm thinking a good way to let our local police know about the
          > game is
          > > for us to hide a full-size cache on the grounds of every police
          > station
          > > and sheriff station in the area. Hide them with permission of
          > course
          > > and get the participation of the officers inside, they can check
          > on the
          > > cache every once in awhile, read the logs and put in cool police
          > swag
          > > like patches and anti-drug pamphlets and stuff. They'll see
          > someone
          > > snooping around their station every couple of days with a GPS
          unit
          > and
          > > it will remind them that we're out there playing this game.
          > Perhaps
          > > give them contact info for whoever owns 'their' cache, that way
          if
          > they
          > > spot a suspicious item out in the field they can just call
          someone
          > > see if it's a geocache before deploying the water cannon.
          > >
          > > I'd hate to see an Indiana-style event happen here. Something
          > like
          > > that could get caching banned.
          > >
          > > Ideas, comments?
          > > -mark

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • lowracer
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 29, 2004
            OK whoever wants to join me in this, I'll start the ball rolling.
            There's a sheriff's office out here in Hudson Bend. I'll approach them
            (slowly, with my hands out where they can see them) and see if they're
            interested in hosting a geocache on their grounds. ;-)

            -mark

            On Oct 29, 2004, at 2:15 PM, buzzardcheater wrote:

            > I like the idea of trying to do a 'geocaching 101' for local PD.  It
            > could avoid this kind of huffery from the article:
            >
            > "People have to understand that I've been to three FBI and CIA
            > briefings in the last two weeks, getting briefed on terrorists and
            > terrorism," Mahan said.  "They need to find another game."
            >
            > That kind of attitude really bugs me... (son, I know what's best for
            > you.....)
            >
            > I had an interesting run-in with the airport cops while going after
            > the Outlaw cache at the cemetery.  Let's just say one shouldn't get
            > too close to the fence and watch where you park.
            >

            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, lowracer
            > <lowracer@a...> wrote:
            > > What can we do to prevent a scenario like what occurred up in
            > Indiana?
            > >
            > > <http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=82906>
            > >
            > > A cacher is doing an urban cache placed with permission on a
            > replica
            > > train near an ice cream parlor.  Someone sees him skulking about,
            > > replacing the container, then calls the cops, who dispatch the
            > bomb
            > > squad and disrupt the suspicious package with a shot from a 50 cal
            > > water cannon.  The geocacher may be held liable for the bomb squad
            > > expenses.
            > >
            > > I'm thinking a good way to let our local police know about the
            > game is
            > > for us to hide a full-size cache on the grounds of every police
            > station
            > > and sheriff station in the area.  Hide them with permission of
            > course
            > > and get the participation of the officers inside, they can check
            > on the
            > > cache every once in awhile, read the logs and put in cool police
            > swag
            > > like patches and anti-drug pamphlets and stuff.  They'll see
            > someone
            > > snooping around their station every couple of days with a GPS unit
            > and
            > > it will remind them that we're out there playing this game.
            > Perhaps
            > > give them contact info for whoever owns 'their' cache, that way if
            > they
            > > spot a suspicious item out in the field they can just call someone
            > > see if it's a geocache before deploying the water cannon.
            > >
            > > I'd hate to see an Indiana-style event happen here.  Something
            > like
            > > that could get caching banned.
            > >
            > > Ideas, comments?
            > > -mark
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            > <f2_free2_300x250_def_0904.gif>
            > <l.gif>

            > Service.

          • Michele Pain
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 29, 2004
              Mark-
              I've forwarded your post, along with an into to a friend of mine who
              knows about my geocaching. He works in the main office at APD. Public
              relations is not his area but I've asked him to pass on my email and
              number and also email me with contact info for the right person (s) to
              talk to.

              We'll see.
              I'm holding out for a local fire station multi!

              Shelly

              On Oct 29, 2004, at 7:43 AM, lowracer wrote:

              > What can we do to prevent a scenario like what occurred up in Indiana?
              >
              > <http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=82906>
              >
              > A cacher is doing an urban cache placed with permission on a replica
              > train near an ice cream parlor. Someone sees him skulking about,
              > replacing the container, then calls the cops, who dispatch the bomb
              > squad and disrupt the suspicious package with a shot from a 50 cal
              > water cannon. The geocacher may be held liable for the bomb squad
              > expenses.
              >
              > I'm thinking a good way to let our local police know about the game is
              > for us to hide a full-size cache on the grounds of every police station
              > and sheriff station in the area. Hide them with permission of course
              > and get the participation of the officers inside, they can check on the
              > cache every once in awhile, read the logs and put in cool police swag
              > like patches and anti-drug pamphlets and stuff. They'll see someone
              > snooping around their station every couple of days with a GPS unit and
              > it will remind them that we're out there playing this game. Perhaps
              > give them contact info for whoever owns 'their' cache, that way if they
              > spot a suspicious item out in the field they can just call someone to
              > see if it's a geocache before deploying the water cannon.
              >
              > I'd hate to see an Indiana-style event happen here. Something like
              > that could get caching banned.
              >
              > Ideas, comments?
              > -mark
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Essiar
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 29, 2004
                I just met with a cacher from PA who is traveling through much of
                the USA caching. Met him while he was doing Take a Nap. Said he has
                a multi-cache with the final cache container at the police station,
                I mean right at the station under their window sill. His next door
                neighbor is the chief of police so he has full permission to do so.
                Problem is, no one will go retrieve the final cache, they're all
                scared half to death.

                <lowracer@a...> wrote:
> [...]
                unit
                > > and
                > > > it will remind them that we're out there playing this game.
                > > Perhaps
                > > > give them contact info for whoever owns 'their' cache, that
                way if
                > > they
                > > > spot a suspicious item out in the field they can just call
                someone
                > > > see if it's a geocache before deploying the water cannon.
                > > >
                > > > I'd hate to see an Indiana-style event happen here.  Something
                > > like
                > > > that could get caching banned.
                > > >
                > > > Ideas, comments?
                > > > -mark
                > >

                > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                > > <f2_free2_300x250_def_0904.gif>
                > > <l.gif>
                > >
                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                Terms of
                > > Service.

              • buzzardcheater
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 29, 2004
                  Heh. lol. Hell yeah.
                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Essiar"
                  <essiar@t...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > cache every once in awhile, read the logs and put in cool
                  police
                  > > swag
                  > > > like patches and anti-drug pamphlets and stuff. They'll see
                  > > someone
                  > > > snooping around their station every couple of days with a GPS
                  > unit
                  > > and
                  > > > it will remind them that we're out there playing this game.
                  > > Perhaps
                  > > > give them contact info for whoever owns 'their' cache, that
                  way
                  > if
                  > > they
                  > > > spot a suspicious item out in the field they can just call
                  > someone
                  > > > see if it's a geocache before deploying the water cannon.
                  > > >
                  > > > I'd hate to see an Indiana-style event happen here. Something

                • buzzardcheater
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 29, 2004
                    Ha. Man, that is righteous. Maybe we can place on on the DPS
                    campus on N. Lamar, back where they do the car-drills and get used
                    to being harrassed by drunk drivers. Yeehaw.

                    <essiar@t...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > station
                    > > > course
                    > check
                    > > > on the
                    > police
                    > > > swag
                    > > > someone
                    GPS
                    > unit
                    > > > and
                    > > > Perhaps
                    > way if
                    > > > they
                    > someone

                    Something
                    > > > like

                    > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    > > > <f2_free2_300x250_def_0904.gif>
                    > > > <l.gif>
                    > > >
                    > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    > > >
                    > > > • To visit your group on the web, go to:
                    > > >
                    > > > • To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                    > > >
                    > > > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!

                  • Essiar
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 29, 2004
                      I was although considering the DPS Campus on Lamar, it's close to my
                      office. I thought perhaps Lowracer would be interested in placing an
                      ammo can on the firing range. What ya think Mark?

                      <buzzardcheater@g...> wrote:

                      > Ha. Man, that is righteous. Maybe we can place on on the DPS
                      > campus on N. Lamar, back where they do the car-drills and get used
                      > to being harrassed by drunk drivers. Yeehaw.
                      >
                      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Essiar"
                      > <essiar@t...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I just met with a cacher from PA who is traveling through much
                      of
                      > > the USA caching. Met him while he was doing Take a Nap. Said he
                      > has
                      > > a multi-cache with the final cache container at the police
                      > station,
                      > > I mean right at the station under their window sill. His next
                      door
                      > > neighbor is the chief of police so he has full permission to do
                      > so.
                      > > Problem is, no one will go retrieve the final cache, they're all
                      > > scared half to death.
                      > >
                      > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, lowracer
                      > > <lowracer@a...> wrote:
                      > > > OK whoever wants to join me in this, I'll start the ball
                      > > rolling.
                      > > > There's a sheriff's office out here in Hudson Bend. I'll
                      > approach
                      > > them
                      > > > (slowly, with my hands out where they can see them) and see if
                      > > they're
                      > > > interested in hosting a geocache on their grounds. ;-)
                      > > >
                      > > > -mark

                      > > PD.  It

                      CIA
                      > terrorists
                      > > and

                      > > best for

                      > > after
                      > shouldn't
                      > > get

                      > in

                      showtopic=82906>

                      > > about,
                      > the
                      > > 50 cal
                      > bomb
                      > > squad

                      > the
                      > > police
                      > of
                      > > check
                      > > police
                      > GPS
                      > > unit
                      > > way if
                      > > someone

                      > Something

                      Yahoo!
                      > > Terms of

                    • lowracer
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 29, 2004
                        I'm staying away from the range until Nedry gets back from Mother
                        Russia with my Bulgarian AK-47s...
                        -mark
                        On Oct 29, 2004, at 5:06 PM, Essiar wrote:

                        > I was although considering the DPS Campus on Lamar, it's close to my
                        > office. I thought perhaps Lowracer would be interested in placing an
                        > ammo can on the firing range. What ya think Mark?
                      • Kevin Dytrich
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 31, 2004
                          Maybe in Travis, but don't count on Williamson (Law) County to comply.

                          <lowracer@a...> wrote:
                          > What can we do to prevent a scenario like what occurred up in Indiana?
                          >
                          > <http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=82906>
                          >
                          > A cacher is doing an urban cache placed with permission on a replica
                          > train near an ice cream parlor. Someone sees him skulking about,
                          > replacing the container, then calls the cops, who dispatch the bomb
                          > squad and disrupt the suspicious package with a shot from a 50 cal
                          > water cannon. The geocacher may be held liable for the bomb squad
                          > expenses.
                          >
                          > I'm thinking a good way to let our local police know about the game is
                          > for us to hide a full-size cache on the grounds of every police station
                          > and sheriff station in the area. Hide them with permission of course
                          > and get the participation of the officers inside, they can check on the
                          > cache every once in awhile, read the logs and put in cool police swag
                          > like patches and anti-drug pamphlets and stuff. They'll see someone
                          > snooping around their station every couple of days with a GPS unit and
                          > it will remind them that we're out there playing this game. Perhaps
                          > give them contact info for whoever owns 'their' cache, that way if they
                          > spot a suspicious item out in the field they can just call someone to
                          > see if it's a geocache before deploying the water cannon.
                          >
                          > I'd hate to see an Indiana-style event happen here. Something like
                          > that could get caching banned.
                          >
                          > Ideas, comments?
                          > -mark
                        • Randell Pitts
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 31, 2004

                            I meant to comment on this awhile back but forgot- sorry.

                            I have some very direct connections with law enforcement, specifically here in Williamson County (no I am not a felon or a WCSO class-action former employee).  I would be more than happy to help or assist any and all approaches to law enforcement.