Re: In Defense of the MONSTER

  • Essiar
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
      I will not turn this into a battle. I meant exactly what I said. I
      did not mean to hurt your feelings or "personally insult you". I did
      not call you a "two faced smiley grabber" although I do sense a bit
      of hypocracy when someone shows up at something they are totally are
      against. My best bet is if they were just "Monster Cache planning
      meetings" of the same group of people you like to "gather with" and
      there was no smiley involved, you would have NOT attended.
      What I was attempting to do was defend all the negativity I have
      seen directed at our efforts. You appeared to be a focal point for
      that negativity. Although I stated that it was NOT meant as a
      personal attack, I can see why you would be defensive.
      As far as me accepting your opinions, there is a difference between
      stating your opinions and repeatedly bad mouthing one's efforts. I
      am and always will be open to everyone's opinions about everything.
      I believe I would have responded quite differently to constructive
      criticism rather than your negative approach. Just as my post felt
      like a personal attack, so do all the negative comments about our
      efforts feel like a personal attack. I do not believe that either of
      us meant to attack the other on a personal basis. Perhaps we are
      just two strong minded opinionated people whose opinions happened to
      clash at the present time.
      I meant no harm. Once again I will state that I felt I needed to
      finally stand up and DEFEND our efforts, not OFFEND anyone. I have
      already received several emails that concurr with my statements.
      There are also people that will surely feel I DID personally attack
      you. Although I do stand behind everything I said, perhaps I could
      have stated it in a less "personal" manner. Therefore, just as I
      made my previous statements "publicly" I will now publicly state
      that although I am not sorry for the stance I took, I AM SORRY FOR
      HURTING YOUR FEELINGS. Correct, you ARE a very nice person and I am
      extremely fond of you. You should know that by now. Now let's put
      this behind us. So, shall we now discuss politics or religion? :-)
      Your FRIEND (not enemy!)
      Steve

      <julieperrine@m...> wrote:
      > Essiar, when you put out the first email about the Monster, you
      asked for everyone's OPINIONS about your idea. I gave you my
      opinions. You can and DID do with them what you wanted. That's
      fine.

      > If you don't want people's opinions, DON'T ASK FOR THEM. If you
      can't accept people's opinions without maligning them publicly,
      DON'T ASK FOR THEM. I have a lot of caching experience, and I was
      trying to give you my opinions based on my experience. If I recall,
      I made most of my comments to you off the list or by telephone.

      > I'm extremely unhappy that you feel you have to insult me
      PERSONALLY, IN FRONT OF THE GROUP, BY NAME, because I don't agree
      100% with you all the time.

      > I monitor the Monster group and I attend the smiley events because
      I have every intention of going after it once it comes up, so I'm
      paying attention. How dare you call me some sort of a two-faced
      smiley grabber for enjoying gathering with my friends at events.

      > And now I will return to being the really nice person that I am.
      > Julie

      MONSTER
      > Cache Events to claim both smilies.
      > My take on the above issues:
      > 1) It is working and it WILL work. It's been wonderful watching
      > almost 40 people come together, working towards a common goal.
      This
      > is a wonderful group of people and with a bit of OPTIMISM we can
      > achieve what we've set out to do.
      > 2) The maintenance logistics have been approached from the best
      > standpoint I know of. Sure, they'll be some maintenance to be
      dealt
      > with but we'll do exactly that, we'll deal with it in the manner
      > that we've planned out. There are enough "backup" modes in place
      > that any "repairs" should be able to be done within 24 hrs from
      the
      > time a problem is discovered.
      > 3) My guess is your Honda gets at least 25mpg. If you drive 150
      > miles to do it at $2/gallon, that's 12 bucks. Split the cost with
      > someone and it's down to $6. Need I say more about the gasoline?
      > 4) I won't even go there.
      > 5) I have no idea where you got the impression I would violate
      > everyone's privacy by listing their phone numbers on a public
      > domain. That thought never even began to cross my mind.
      > 6) I do expect a certain rate of error. As of now I have caught 2
      > coordinate errors on my behalf and 2 due to other participants'
      > mistakes. That's a 10% rate of error which statistically is sound.
      > With 41 legs and 36 people involved I expected an approximate
      error
      > rate of 10 to 15% initially. Even if there are another couple of
      > coordinate errors they will be adjusted when the first person goes
      > through the cache. After that I foresee no further issues with
      > coordinates.
      > 7) Not enough new caches lately? Look at it like this... there's
      > about to be 41 new caches out there for you to do!
      >
      > If I had dwelled on any of the negative aspects of putting
      together
      > a project of this enormity, you are correct; it never would have
      > come into fruition. The fear of failure has always been an
      obstacle
      > in people's lives, but the MONSTER knows no fear. :-)
      >
      > This is NOT a personal attack by any means so please don't
      construe
      > it as such. I have bit my tongue every time I heard
      > the "opposition's" pessimism. I feel it is now time to come to the
      > defense of the incredible effort that all these wonderful people
      > have invested in creating this record breaking cache. We SHALL
      > succeed and everyone that took part in it should feel a great
      sense
      > of pride in their accomplishment.
      >
      > If Jean Luc had the same thought patterns that you have conveyed
      > me, he would have never made it past Brooklyn.
      >
      > If we build it they will come.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Grajek
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
        I would like to point out at this time I was not involved in this
        thread, which is a mile stone for me. Some like to have a milestone of
        100 caches, mine is not being involved in this deal/thread. :-)

        I will expect some "atta boys"

        <julieperrine@m...> wrote:
        > Essiar, when you put out the first email about the Monster, you
        asked for everyone's OPINIONS about your idea. I gave you my
        opinions. You can and DID do with them what you wanted. That's
        fine.

        > If you don't want people's opinions, DON'T ASK FOR THEM. If you
        can't accept people's opinions without maligning them publicly,
        DON'T ASK FOR THEM. I have a lot of caching experience, and I was
        trying to give you my opinions based on my experience. If I recall,
        I made most of my comments to you off the list or by telephone.

        > I'm extremely unhappy that you feel you have to insult me
        PERSONALLY, IN FRONT OF THE GROUP, BY NAME, because I don't agree
        100% with you all the time.

        > I monitor the Monster group and I attend the smiley events because
        I have every intention of going after it once it comes up, so I'm
        paying attention. How dare you call me some sort of a two-faced
        smiley grabber for enjoying gathering with my friends at events.

        > And now I will return to being the really nice person that I am.
        > Julie

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        ---
      • semperquestio
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
          It's Es's fault you havn't been involved! :D

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Grajek"