Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] locationless caches are good for something!

  • Henry Rohlfs
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
      Kudos to you and Charlotte! That's cool that the pictures are helping to
      get him rebuilt.

      Henry

      >>> team_geodillo@... 9/30/2004 6:07:24 PM >>>
      We (Team GeoDillo) find a lot of locationless caches. Many times a
      locationless cache takes lots more time and thought than a regular
      cache.
      Our habit has had an additional benefit for a local business. Many of
      you
      probably saw the tragic thing that happened to the Mangia Zilla*.it
      was
      vandalized and almost destroyed when it was pushed off the top of the
      Mangia's Pizza on Guadalupe. When I saw that news story I remembered
      that
      we had used the Mangia Zilla for a locationless cache called "Frozen
      in
      Time" (GC4F54). You can check out or log t http://tinyurl.com/53479
      . For
      those of you who don't know, locationless caches require that you
      take a
      picture of you at the cache location. Well, I had taken several good
      5
      mega-pixel images of the Zilla.

      I contacted Mangia's Pizza and they put me through to John Maisano
      who
      volunteered his time to fix the Zilla. John works as an exhibit
      designer
      (dinosaurs and the like) for the Texas Memorial Museum. He is also a
      local
      artist who has done some public art around the Austin area. I emailed
      him
      asking if he needed pictures. He said that he only had some poor
      quality 3x5
      photos of when the Zilla was being built and would appreciate any
      photos I
      might have. I sent him my images which he said would be invaluable in
      recreating the head, especially the teeth and lighted eyes.

      And there's a twist to the story, it just so happens that Charlotte
      and I
      have been working on a cache right next to John's most recent
      dinosaur
      exhibit in the Hartman Prehistoric Garden at the Zilker Botanical
      Gardens.
      Look for it to come on your radar sometime next week (hint, hint)!

      It always good when your geocaching habit can actually benefit someone
      else!

      Scott Robuck

      Team GeoDillo

      N 30° 12.4'

      W 97° 50.4'

      "All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others"

      -- George Orwell, Animal Farm
    • Essiar
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
        Thank you Scott and Charlotte for representing us cachers in such a
        positive manner. I'm sure those folks are thrilled with your
        assistance. Good job!

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Henry Rohlfs"