OT - Tubing in New Braunfels

  • Monica Summers
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 25, 2004
      First off a disclaimer -- I am a geocacher but live in Nashville as
      of January. I grew up in Texas and Louisiana so I know the Houston,
      Austin, Dallas area well. I joined this email group just because it
      is a very active and AMUSING group of geocachers!

      That being said I hope you will help me out with some info. My
      sister, best friend and I normally take a tubing to the Gruene area
      in July and tube on a weekday. This year, since two of us have new
      jobs, were not able to schedule time in July. I would like to go
      the weekend of Sept 11 but am having trouble convincing my sister to
      go on a weekend (not a weekday) as she thinks the river will be
      crowded. True or False?

      Is a weekend a good time in September or should I try to get off on
      a weekday (Friday or Monday)?

      If we do go I want to try to do a few caches in the area and will
      ask for some suggestions. I just started geocaching in June but I
      have almost 300 finds so far.

      Thanks for your help!!

      Monica aka LSUMonica
    • Perrine Julie-ra5686
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 26, 2004
        Hi, welcome to the list. Yes, we do a fairly good job of amusing ourselves here in Austin! I don't claim to be the expert in tubing, but I would suggest that you move to the upper Guadalupe where it's probably NEVER as crowded as near Gruene. Actually, we're having a tubing event there this Saturday, and the cache page has the location for the put in place plus links to a couple of outfitters who will rent you tubes and haul you up to the park. Check it out. GCK6V7
        Julie (Mrs. Captain Picard)

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Essiar
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 26, 2004
          Yes, it's definetely more crowded on the weekends. That's not to say
          it's still not a blast. I went last month on a weekend and had an
          awesome time. Heck, all the fun people just add to the experience.
          What's more important is the rate of release from Canyon Dam.
          Ideally, you want it to be around 400 to 500 CFS. I always rent my
          tubes at Jerry's and you can either take their ride upstream and
          float back to Jerrys or get in right there and float downstream.
          Either ride is approx. 4 hours if the flow is around 400 CFS. The
          more "active" ride is getting in at Jerry's, better rapids. I don't
          remember which crossing Jerrys is at but getting in there or a bit
          upstream from there is a great place to start. I'd be going back
          again for the upcoming event except I was just there with my
          daughters and after the youngest one's "scary" experiences with a
          couple of the rapids (especially that 1st one!) she is in no rush to
          go back.
          I will be caching in Nashville Labor Day weekend (thurs - mon).
          Perhaps I will see you out on the trail somewhere. I love it in the
          Warner Parks area, it's absolutely gorgeous there. I'll definetely
          be hitting the caches in those parks.

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Monica Summers"
          <mcslists@p...> wrote:
          > First off a disclaimer -- I am a geocacher but live in Nashville
          as
          > of January. I grew up in Texas and Louisiana so I know the
          Houston,
          > Austin, Dallas area well. I joined this email group just because
          it
          > is a very active and AMUSING group of geocachers!
          >
          > That being said I hope you will help me out with some info. My
          > sister, best friend and I normally take a tubing to the Gruene
          area
          > in July and tube on a weekday. This year, since two of us have
          new
          > jobs, were not able to schedule time in July. I would like to go
          > the weekend of Sept 11 but am having trouble convincing my sister
          > go on a weekend (not a weekday) as she thinks the river will be
          > crowded. True or False?
          >
          > Is a weekend a good time in September or should I try to get off
          on
          > a weekday (Friday or Monday)?
          >
          > If we do go I want to try to do a few caches in the area and will
          > ask for some suggestions. I just started geocaching in June but I
          > have almost 300 finds so far.
          >
          > Thanks for your help!!
          >
          > Monica aka LSUMonica
        • mcslists
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
            Thanks so much for the note. Hope you have fun here in Nashville this
            weekend. I too love Warner Parks and live just 5 miles away so we may
            indeed meet on the trail!

            Monica

            <mcslists@p...> wrote:
            > First off a disclaimer -- I am a geocacher but live in Nashville
            as
            > of January. I grew up in Texas and Louisiana so I know the
            Houston,
            > Austin, Dallas area well. I joined this email group just because
            it
            > is a very active and AMUSING group of geocachers!
            >
            > That being said I hope you will help me out with some info. My
            > sister, best friend and I normally take a tubing to the Gruene
            area
            > in July and tube on a weekday. This year, since two of us have
            new
            > jobs, were not able to schedule time in July. I would like to go
            > the weekend of Sept 11 but am having trouble convincing my sister
            > go on a weekend (not a weekday) as she thinks the river will be
            > crowded. True or False?
            >
            > Is a weekend a good time in September or should I try to get off
            on
            > a weekday (Friday or Monday)?
            >
            > If we do go I want to try to do a few caches in the area and will
            > ask for some suggestions. I just started geocaching in June but I
            > have almost 300 finds so far.
            >
            > Thanks for your help!!
            >
            > Monica aka LSUMonica

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Essiar
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2004
              OK Monica, I'm in Franklin now (Fri morning 8 am) getting ready to
              fire up the gps. Feel free to email me via this group if you want to
              go grab some caches. Caches are so dense here it's insane. I loaded
              the 150 closest caches to where I am (Franklin) and I don't believe
              they go much past Brentwood! It seems like I can walk around the
              block and get 50. :-)
              Steve

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "mcslists"

            • Michele Pain
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 3, 2004
                So THAT's how you've pulled so far ahead of me...
                Have fun-Say Hey to Cindy for me.

                Shelly

              • Essiar
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 3, 2004
                  OK. Shelly says hello Cindy. :-) Yes, a smiley oriented person can
                  run the #s up here quite fast. I on the other hand, enjoy caching
                  more than smilies, so I'll mostly go after the ones that are very
                  unique, very difficult or require lots of hiking through a gorgeous
                  park such as Warner Parks. Warner parks is so pretty, the park
                  rangers there even have their own caching team named "Warner Parks"
                  that hide great caches in the parks! We need to try to get the park
                  rangers in Austin hooked on caching also so they can start hiding
                  caches too!

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Michele Pain