Event: t00bin' with the n00bies on the Guadal00pe, GCK6V7

  • lowracer
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2004
    • G,O. Mental
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 9, 2004
        lowracer wrote:
        28 Aug 2004:
        http://tinyurl.com/4pgde
        oh man!  i am so there!  NOTHING will stop me from coming down for this!

        (just hope i dont pollute the 'loope' too bad with all the 'life stuff' i plan to wash off and leave behind *grin*)

      • BlazerMan
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 26, 2004
          Hey guys,

          We're planning on attending this. I called Guadalupe Canoe Livery to
          inquire about rafts. A lady there told me that they usually like to
          pull canoes up to the State Park. She said they can do rafts though.
          If we all get different types of water craft, it seems we'll float
          down at different rates. I'm sure we can deal with that, but I wanted
          to see if anyone had any opinions on what type to get. I'm leaning
          toward the canoe because she was suggesting it.

          She also mentioned that they like to leave for the SP at 9:00AM on
          Saturdays. Looks like we might be at the rendezvous point a little
          early.

          I told her to expect a few calls from a group called
          the "geocachers". She said she'd heard the term before. She also
          mentioned there might be a discount if we can get reservations in for
          20 or so people. But if we don't get the headcount, we don't get the
          discount. Personally, I'm not too hung up on getting the discount.

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, lowracer
          <lowracer@a...> wrote:
          > 28 Aug 2004:
          > http://tinyurl.com/4pgde
        • lowracer
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 26, 2004
            They like to leave at 9AM but last time we went, they actually got us
            to the park around 10:30. We watched as they loaded one trailer,
            emptied it, re-loaded it, emptied it, loaded it again, then emptied it
            all out and loaded it all onto a bigger trailer.

            We got a big 4-man raft last time and it was great. You see photos of
            this raft (the big blue one) on the cache page. They also have a 2-man
            raft in red. Prices are per person so I don't know what difference it
            makes what size raft you get. Canoes and kayaks will go fastest down
            river. Rafts and tubes are about equal to each other, both slower than
            canoes and kayaks.

            I would have put together a group discount deal at Guadalupe Canoe
            Livery but I had a heck of a time getting this cache approved unless I
            left the choice of the watercraft provider wide open. Apparently it
            was considered a commercial cache otherwise. :-(

            Better to be at the park early rather than late.

            -mark

            On Aug 26, 2004, at 11:57 AM, BlazerMan wrote:

            > Hey guys,
            >
            > We're planning on attending this.  I called Guadalupe Canoe Livery to
            > inquire about rafts. A lady there told me that they usually like to
            > pull canoes up to the State Park. She said they can do rafts though.
            > If we all get different types of water craft, it seems we'll float
            > down at different rates. I'm sure we can deal with that, but I wanted
            > to see if anyone had any opinions on what type to get. I'm leaning
            > toward the canoe because she was suggesting it.
            >
            > She also mentioned that they like to leave for the SP at 9:00AM on
            > Saturdays.  Looks like we might be at the rendezvous point a little
            > early.
            >
            > I told her to expect a few calls from a group called
            > the "geocachers". She said she'd heard the term before. She also
            > mentioned there might be a discount if we can get reservations in for
            > 20 or so people.  But if we don't get the headcount, we don't get the
            > discount. Personally, I'm not too hung up on getting the discount.
            >
            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, lowracer
            > <lowracer@a...> wrote:
            > > 28 Aug 2004:
            > > http://tinyurl.com/4pgde
          • BlazerMan
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 26, 2004
              Thanks for the info about the trip time Mark! I was figuring it
              might work that way. They were telling me 2 adults and 1 child per
              canoe max. I'm sure they want to put you in a canoe because it is
              smaller and they can haul more to the SP that way. If you reserve for
              3-4 adults you'll probably get a raft.

              Steve.