RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] The Lost Ulmer Video

  • Scott Robuck
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3 9:59 AM
      It's a fake. The first cache (by Dave Ulmer) was hidden on MAY 3rd, not
      April 3rd as is shown in the video (4-3-00). How do I know this? Well:

      1) President Clinton didn't turn off Selective Availability until May 1st
      2000 (see http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/FGCS/info/sans_SA/docs/statement.html)

      2) Geocaching didn't start until SA was turned off

      3) Dave's first post in the sci.geo.satellite-nav newsgroup regarding this
      was posted on May 2nd, 2000 (see http://tinyurl.com/46nlq )

      4) Here is Dave's post with the coordinates of the first GPS Stash
      http://tinyurl.com/5flqd

      I'm surprised that Today's Cacher got fooled. Look's like somebody didn't
      do their homework!

      Thanks...

      Scott Robuck
      Team GeoDillo
      N 30° 12.4'
      W 97° 50.4'

      This email is an all natural product. The slight variations in
      spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and
      beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3 10:13 AM
        Dave Ulmer is from Jacksonville, Florida.

        http://www.todayscacher.com/archives/jun04/letters.html

        Someone the forums was claiming that he knew he had made a mistake with the
        dates. I don't buy that.

        By the way, does any one want to buy a copy of Hitler's diaries. The ink
        is almost dry....

        Alex.

        At 14:53 03/08/2004, Jeff wrote:

        >Ol' boy sounds like he is from Alabama. Not the northwest.
      • BlazerMan
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3 1:18 PM
          A while back I found the video at this link:

          http://www.pdxgeocaching.com/dave/dave.htm

          I found that link by looking at the logs on the
          Original Stash Tribute Plaque cache (GCGV0P).

          The specific log in question was on Sept 22, 2003 by
          a cacher with the handle of daveulmer.

          Looks legit to me.

          Steve.

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, lowracer