Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] The Lost Ulmer Video

  • Grajek
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2004

      Ol’ boy sounds like he is from Alabama. Not the northwest.

      http://www.todayscacher.com/2004/aug/img/UlmerFirstCache.mpeg

      > It is purported to be a video made by Dave Ulmer, showing him putting
      > together the contents of the first GPS Stash.  Is it legit?  Or a

      > clever re-enactment?

      You decide.
      > -mark

      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/YltolB/TM

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Scott Robuck
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2004
        It's a fake. The first cache (by Dave Ulmer) was hidden on MAY 3rd, not
        April 3rd as is shown in the video (4-3-00). How do I know this? Well:

        1) President Clinton didn't turn off Selective Availability until May 1st
        2000 (see http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/FGCS/info/sans_SA/docs/statement.html)

        2) Geocaching didn't start until SA was turned off

        3) Dave's first post in the sci.geo.satellite-nav newsgroup regarding this
        was posted on May 2nd, 2000 (see http://tinyurl.com/46nlq )

        4) Here is Dave's post with the coordinates of the first GPS Stash
        http://tinyurl.com/5flqd

        I'm surprised that Today's Cacher got fooled. Look's like somebody didn't
        do their homework!

        Thanks...

        Scott Robuck
        Team GeoDillo
        N 30° 12.4'
        W 97° 50.4'

        This email is an all natural product. The slight variations in
        spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and
        beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

        I spotted this video on the today's cacher online magazine:

        http://www.todayscacher.com/2004/aug/img/UlmerFirstCache.mpeg

        It is purported to be a video made by Dave Ulmer, showing him putting
        together the contents of the first GPS Stash. Is it legit? Or a
        clever re-enactment?

        You decide.
        -mark

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Alex Alexander
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2004
          Dave Ulmer is from Jacksonville, Florida.

          http://www.todayscacher.com/archives/jun04/letters.html

          Someone the forums was claiming that he knew he had made a mistake with the
          dates. I don't buy that.

          By the way, does any one want to buy a copy of Hitler's diaries. The ink
          is almost dry....

          Alex.

          At 14:53 03/08/2004, Jeff wrote:

          >Ol' boy sounds like he is from Alabama. Not the northwest.
        • BlazerMan
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2004
            A while back I found the video at this link:

            http://www.pdxgeocaching.com/dave/dave.htm

            I found that link by looking at the logs on the
            Original Stash Tribute Plaque cache (GCGV0P).

            The specific log in question was on Sept 22, 2003 by
            a cacher with the handle of daveulmer.

            Looks legit to me.

            Steve.

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, lowracer