The Lost Ulmer Video

  • lowracer
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3 6:38 AM
      I spotted this video on the today's cacher online magazine:

      http://www.todayscacher.com/2004/aug/img/UlmerFirstCache.mpeg

      It is purported to be a video made by Dave Ulmer, showing him putting
      together the contents of the first GPS Stash. Is it legit? Or a
      clever re-enactment?

      You decide.
      -mark
    • Grajek
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3 6:53 AM

        Ol’ boy sounds like he is from Alabama. Not the northwest.

        On 8/3/2004 8:38:14 AM, centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > I spotted this video on the today's cacher online magazine:

        http://www.todayscacher.com/2004/aug/img/UlmerFirstCache.mpeg

        > It is purported to be a video made by Dave Ulmer, showing him putting
        > together the contents of the first GPS Stash.  Is it legit?  Or a

        > clever re-enactment?

        You decide.
        > -mark

        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/YltolB/TM

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Scott Robuck
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3 9:59 AM
          It's a fake. The first cache (by Dave Ulmer) was hidden on MAY 3rd, not
          April 3rd as is shown in the video (4-3-00). How do I know this? Well:

          1) President Clinton didn't turn off Selective Availability until May 1st
          2000 (see http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/FGCS/info/sans_SA/docs/statement.html)

          2) Geocaching didn't start until SA was turned off

          3) Dave's first post in the sci.geo.satellite-nav newsgroup regarding this
          was posted on May 2nd, 2000 (see http://tinyurl.com/46nlq )

          4) Here is Dave's post with the coordinates of the first GPS Stash
          http://tinyurl.com/5flqd

          I'm surprised that Today's Cacher got fooled. Look's like somebody didn't
          do their homework!

          Thanks...

          Scott Robuck
          Team GeoDillo
          N 30° 12.4'
          W 97° 50.4'

          This email is an all natural product. The slight variations in
          spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and
          beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

          I spotted this video on the today's cacher online magazine:

          http://www.todayscacher.com/2004/aug/img/UlmerFirstCache.mpeg

          It is purported to be a video made by Dave Ulmer, showing him putting
          together the contents of the first GPS Stash. Is it legit? Or a
          clever re-enactment?

          You decide.
          -mark

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Alex Alexander
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3 10:13 AM
            Dave Ulmer is from Jacksonville, Florida.

            http://www.todayscacher.com/archives/jun04/letters.html

            Someone the forums was claiming that he knew he had made a mistake with the
            dates. I don't buy that.

            By the way, does any one want to buy a copy of Hitler's diaries. The ink
            is almost dry....

            Alex.

            At 14:53 03/08/2004, Jeff wrote:

            >Ol' boy sounds like he is from Alabama. Not the northwest.
          • BlazerMan
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 3 1:18 PM
              A while back I found the video at this link:

              http://www.pdxgeocaching.com/dave/dave.htm

              I found that link by looking at the logs on the
              Original Stash Tribute Plaque cache (GCGV0P).

              The specific log in question was on Sept 22, 2003 by
              a cacher with the handle of daveulmer.

              Looks legit to me.

              Steve.

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, lowracer