Micro Cache HELL!!!

  • grrlfrog71
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2004
      Hi Everyone!!

      I made it alive and well to Pennsylvania to visit my parents. By
      the second day here I was out geocaching, that way we don't get on
      each other's nerves...LOL!!

      At any rate, the caches here in Mount Joy are like micro-cache-M-and-
      M-container-HELL!!! There has been almost 8" of rain and major
      flooding since I arrived and most micros are *WIERDLY* placed at the
      top of ravines, that get flooded, and the mudslides either move the
      micros or bury them. There are plenty of places to hide *NORMAL*
      tupperware but it's micro after micro. Today I went after 8 caches
      and posted 4 DNF's. The only ones I found were the virtuals.

      Last night I found an update to the firmware for my Magellan
      SportTrak. I downloaded it and it's pretty funky stuff. See
      http://tinyurl.com/3kpfh. However, while caching today I found that
      sometimes I could walk right up to a cache and the coords were right
      on, while other times I was standing in front of it and the gps read
      400 feet away. I read previous find logs on these caches and the
      coords are supposedly very accurate.

      Anyway, was wondering if anyone else downloads firmware from
      Magellan and if it wrecked havoc with your gps? Or, did any cachers
      out and about on Monday have a hard time with accurate coords?

      Though I was really frustrated, I must always remember: "A Bad Day
      Geocaching Is Always Better than a Good Day With Screaming Twins."

      Talk to ya soon!!
      GrrlyFrog
    • gtbevo2000
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2004
        Hey MaryAnn,

        I updated the firmware in my Magellen Meridian a while back and
        other than slightly changing the look of the screens, the accuracy
        was not affected.

        Enjoy the cooler weather up there. It was 102 here yesterday!

        Alyson

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "grrlfrog71"
        <mlaverty@a...> wrote:
        > Hi Everyone!!
        >
        > I made it alive and well to Pennsylvania to visit my parents. By
        > the second day here I was out geocaching, that way we don't get on
        > each other's nerves...LOL!!
        >
        > At any rate, the caches here in Mount Joy are like micro-cache-M-
        and-
        > M-container-HELL!!! There has been almost 8" of rain and major
        > flooding since I arrived and most micros are *WIERDLY* placed at
        the
        > top of ravines, that get flooded, and the mudslides either move
        the
        > micros or bury them. There are plenty of places to hide *NORMAL*
        > tupperware but it's micro after micro. Today I went after 8
        caches
        > and posted 4 DNF's. The only ones I found were the virtuals.
        >
        > Last night I found an update to the firmware for my Magellan
        > SportTrak. I downloaded it and it's pretty funky stuff. See
        > http://tinyurl.com/3kpfh. However, while caching today I found
        that
        > sometimes I could walk right up to a cache and the coords were
        right
        > on, while other times I was standing in front of it and the gps
        read
        > 400 feet away. I read previous find logs on these caches and the
        > coords are supposedly very accurate.
        >
        > Anyway, was wondering if anyone else downloads firmware from
        > Magellan and if it wrecked havoc with your gps? Or, did any
        cachers
        > out and about on Monday have a hard time with accurate coords?
        >
        > Though I was really frustrated, I must always remember: "A Bad Day
        > Geocaching Is Always Better than a Good Day With Screaming Twins."
        >
        > Talk to ya soon!!
        > GrrlyFrog
      • Essiar
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2004
          The new firmware can be a beast. It adds more steps to certain
          functions and although 99% of the time it is very accurate, every
          now and then it does freak out and tell me I'm several hundred feet
          away when I am standing on top of it. This only seems to happen when
          the batteries start getting low. I will be looking into getting the
          older version loaded back on.