Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Driving/Hiking software

  • Tim Steckler
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2, 2004

      I've used Delorme's Topo USA (V4) on a laptop in the car.  the neat thing about this sw is that it does a cool split screen where half the screen has a 3-D view.  both views update in real time as you drive around, and you can plot the trail/drive/bike/caching profile to see how much you've gone up and down hills.

      i've also just gotten delorme's S&T for the palm and have that hooked to the GPS... it worked good on a vacation to california.

      just my $0.02

      -tim

      Perrine Julie-ra5686 wrote:
      What my Dad says he likes about Streets and Trips is the street level detail he gets at a MUCH larger scale.  For example, MapSource won't show you side streets until you get down to .5 mi scale, but Streets and Trips will show them to you several levels above that.  He uses it for planning bicycle routes and he wants to see all the country roads no matter how far out he zooms.

      I sure wish I could do that on my Vista because I usually want to know the street BEFORE I miss the turn.