Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Why it's important to work with Land Managers

  • The Diver
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2003
      The article in question also was picked up by discussion site slashdot.org.
      Below is one persons response.

      Alan
      aka The Diver

      article response:

      The article is heavily drama. I am a geocacher that knows two of the people
      mentioned in the article. When they say "Three park officials walk up. Will
      they kick him out? Not today," they're referring to Washington County Park
      Officials that not only allow geocaching, but promote it as well. Drama,
      Drama, Drama...

      Nola Cutts, mentioned in the article, said this:

      "LOL -- You know what? I talked for the better part of an hour with this
      reporter about my philosophy of "leave no trace" and my "trash out"
      activities and the progress MnGCA [Minnesota Geocaching Association] was
      making with having people pick up garbage on the trails and how I thought
      geocaching was environmentally friendly in that regard..... You have all
      heard this from me before

      Toward the end of the interview we were JOKING about how my husband hates
      to geocache and how I hate to fly fish. So what quote does he use, my speech
      about recycling or fly fishing? AAAAKKKKK!"

      They chose to make an almost faticious battle between the parks and the
      unknown techno-nature-hippies instead of talking about how interesting
      Geocaching is, and not only that, but most Geocachers that I know of in the
      Twin Cities, and I know that most with the Minnesota Geocaching Association
      also help clean up city, county and state parks during caching trips. I'm
      dissapointed the article was even made, and even more so that it's on
      Slashdot!!!

      The reporter failed to mention that the MN DNR is working on a plan for
      Geocaching in State Parks as well.

      On a final note, that is my visi.com they found mentioned in the 2nd to last
      paragraph. ;-)

      Reference URLs:

      Thread about article with the MN Geocaching Association:
      http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219

      Thread about relations with MN DNR with the MN Geocaching Association:
      http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108

      Cache that was visited in the article:
      http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx? ID=44584

      Ian Stevens' Geocaching Profile (King Boreas) - the main cacher in the
      article - also an interesting note that he has *placed* more caches than any
      other cacher:
      http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=11 922

      -s4xton