Why it's important to work with Land Managers

  • Candy Lind
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2003
      Here is a link Trey sent me to an article about the problems
      geocachers in MN are facing; it will happen here sooner or later if
      we don't make sure the Land Managers know us and know what we are
      about!!

      http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/5992641.htm

      We are lucky to have many land managers in TX on our side already ...
      but it is something we need to constantly keep in mind!

      Happy Trails!
    • The Diver
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2003
        The article in question also was picked up by discussion site slashdot.org.
        Below is one persons response.

        Alan
        aka The Diver

        article response:

        The article is heavily drama. I am a geocacher that knows two of the people
        mentioned in the article. When they say "Three park officials walk up. Will
        they kick him out? Not today," they're referring to Washington County Park
        Officials that not only allow geocaching, but promote it as well. Drama,
        Drama, Drama...

        Nola Cutts, mentioned in the article, said this:

        "LOL -- You know what? I talked for the better part of an hour with this
        reporter about my philosophy of "leave no trace" and my "trash out"
        activities and the progress MnGCA [Minnesota Geocaching Association] was
        making with having people pick up garbage on the trails and how I thought
        geocaching was environmentally friendly in that regard..... You have all
        heard this from me before

        Toward the end of the interview we were JOKING about how my husband hates
        to geocache and how I hate to fly fish. So what quote does he use, my speech
        about recycling or fly fishing? AAAAKKKKK!"

        They chose to make an almost faticious battle between the parks and the
        unknown techno-nature-hippies instead of talking about how interesting
        Geocaching is, and not only that, but most Geocachers that I know of in the
        Twin Cities, and I know that most with the Minnesota Geocaching Association
        also help clean up city, county and state parks during caching trips. I'm
        dissapointed the article was even made, and even more so that it's on
        Slashdot!!!

        The reporter failed to mention that the MN DNR is working on a plan for
        Geocaching in State Parks as well.

        On a final note, that is my visi.com they found mentioned in the 2nd to last
        paragraph. ;-)

        Reference URLs:

        Thread about article with the MN Geocaching Association:
        http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219

        Thread about relations with MN DNR with the MN Geocaching Association:
        http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108

        Cache that was visited in the article:
        http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx? ID=44584

        Ian Stevens' Geocaching Profile (King Boreas) - the main cacher in the
        article - also an interesting note that he has *placed* more caches than any
        other cacher:
        http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=11 922

        -s4xton